Acura Legend Forum banner

Rack Replacement

8K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  weput 
#1 ·
Hello forum..

I just wanted to tell you guys that, after a long (because my lack of founds) time, i finally replaced the rack.

Because I do not live in USA, i had to look for a cheap provider who doesn't require a core deposit or something like that (didn't make any sense to ship back the broken rack from panama).

the "i don't believe this shit" part of the tale... is that aparently all shops around here are soo commercially spoiled that I had to look like 2 months for someone to swap it. Apparently, even if you bring the service manual; swapping a steering rack does not make business sense... (which is true if you think about the mechanic money output per hour for the shop)

anyway... about a total cost of 630 dollars I finally have it done.

Now I feel the steering wheel too sensitive for my taste... maybe I was used to the lack of response of my faulty rack.

#3 ·
no BIGBOY

630 total... including part, shipping and handling from wherever to miami, then miami-pty and labor...
i forgot to add 19 bucks for the front wheel alignment so it went like 650 to round up.

dumb question....
how do i hard a bit the steering? it is too soft for my taste... specially after driving my wife new bimmer

#6 ·
Hey guy, I need to replace the rack and pinion too. I just did the P/S fluid change and I noticed it dripping fluid on the rack where the two hoses connected. And I also found the boot was torn too. How much is for the replacement and time needed? I guess ~600-700$? The car has 183k on it and I think it is a good idea to get it replace. Also, should I get the OEM, eBay (remanufature) or let the shop get it. Thx.

#8 ·
Thx for the link, but do you know how much is to get it replace by the shop. It's getting dark, I have to do a few shopping tomorrow lol

#10 ·
Hi, I just check under the car today and it looks like the leak is slowing down. It doesnt constantly leak like yesterday, and it has a few drip after the car is turned off. When the car is cool down, I dont see any leak. I think there was a lots of air in the system when I replaced the fluid yesterday that why it caused the leakage. I try to monitor the fluid level over a few day and replace both rubber boots, and if the leak is minimal I just top it off rather then paying ~$700 to replace the rack.

#11 ·
Ok I have some bad news..

I poured in ATF as i didn't had chance to get to honda dealer... the ATF were in for 2 days... I flush the fluid and poured in honda OEM PSF... it leaked a bit.

I'm not sure if it is on the pump, hoses or where; but the fluid level on the reservoir has went down.
:(

#12 ·
ATF in the power steering reservoir?! That is not good new. I think you should flush the system so all of the ATF is removed. When I first replace the fluid it was leaking a like mofo, the fluid is boiling so I just left it sit over night. Then the next day I just top it off and it all good now, thx god. Hope your go smoothly.

#13 ·
Never use anything but Honda fluids, in older cars you could get away with using ATF in power steering systems but not Honda/Acura.

Two days wouldn't hurt anything, flush it and put the real stuff in. If it still leaks then something is loose or you had a leak and didn't know it.

#16 ·
I got the rack from an ebay store.. Cardone A1..
car hasn't moved from the parking spot since saturday nigth... and the PSF still at the level i left it..
Took it out for a quick ride with no noticeable fluid level drop..

I'll have to drive it and see if it fixed itself of what..
I've read somewhere that some rubbers shrink/expand based on the fluid they are submerged to; which made me think it might be the case. It didn't leak when the rack were replaced but out of the sudden PSF just went down quickly one day.

I'll report my findings. Maybe this is the real reason why it has to be honda oem PS fluid

#17 ·
Is your still leaking? Mine is leaking pretty bad now, only 2 days and it is between the upper and lower level. I called the shop and they quoted me 1690$ to replace it! I'm thinking to get the rack from rockauto and bring it to the shop so they get install it for me.

#18 ·
Another thing about power steering in ANY car not just Honda/Acura is you can't expect to just see it dripping, especially when it's cold, I have had better luck finding leaks with a warm engine, and a second person inside turning the steering wheel with complete turns in both directions, that "boiling" you are talking about indicates air in the system, you could maybe have a leak still or you might have to just bleed the system.

#22 ·
I think Oriely or Kragen is better than autozone lol because last time I check their racks are the same on Ebay.

Anyway, I have a quick question. Can I keep driving the car like this till August? Because I need to get my car for the Smog test, so I don't know if it is going to pass. My car had a hard problem passing the test two years go lol. I know I need to keep an eyes on the level, but it doesn't make sense if i get the rack replace for ~800$ if it doesn't pass the test. If it fails the smog test then I'll get another RL or MDX.

#23 ·
Well, I'm not sure how California inspections are (when I lived there I was too young to drive) but most other places don't do smog inspections, I would assume smog is emissions related. Anyway, your rack is not at all related to emissions, it IS however a safety component that would not pass, mainly because of the leaking fluid.

YES, you CAN continue driving, it isn't gonna make your car blow up or anything but the issue is running it dry can cause to PS pump failure and it's components, so the ending result would cause a REALLY hard steering wheel and a ton more money to fix. Just watch the fluid level, and drive safe.

#24 ·
Yea, my bad I didn't clarify that. Smog is the emission test and the rack has nothing to do with it. I just keep an eyes on the level and top it off. Thx for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.