Acura Legend Forum banner

Tach, Security, Stereo (electrical) problems

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  davidbaldwin 
#1 ·
Hey, I saw a post about tachs reading double here:
Legend forum:
I just had my tach start to read double! Out of the blue. Only thing I had done was (1) pressure washed the engine compartment, and (2) had the air-conditoning compressor belt removed (it was squealing). I started to wonder if there was something related between the two. Maybe pressure washing the engine compartment got something wet it shouldn't have.

It's a 1990 Legend LS Sedan, just bought it. Has some electrical gremlins. The windshield wipers (and moonroof - same circuit) were not working. Local trusted mechanic said there's probably a break in the circuit board within the fuse box, cause there was power to the fuse, but no power coming out the wires for that circuit from the fusebox to the wiper switch. He installed a fusible link from the fuse to the wires and voila - wipers and moonroof all energized again. He also said the cover on the fuse box doesn't look original - the fusebox may have been replaced.

Also, almost coincident with my tach acting up - my security system wasn't working - didn't arm when the doors were locked and the little security light didn't blink. But along with my tach not working, the security system now is! Surprised the hell out of me when I went to unlock the driver's door - it went off! Seems that I have the same problem as described in TSB 95-002. "Normally, the system is deactivated when the key is used to unlock the driver's door. However, the switch in the driver's door may malfunction, causing the system to remain on. As a result, the alarm sounds when the door unlocks. Turning the key to unlock a second time normally causes the electrical switch to make contact and cancel the alarm." (BUT IT DOESN'T IN MY CASE). I'm going to try to figure out if Acura will replace my door lock mechanism anyway (worth a try!). Maybe the previous owner was fed up with the security system going off when the driver's door was opened - and they started pulling wires out of the fusebox!

Here's the systems that didn't work when I got the car "as is":
- Stereo System (Bose Premier) - head unit works but no sound
- Heated Seats (Driver Side - light comes on in switch but no heat)
- Driver's Seat position Memory System (& Control Panel) - not working
- Fuel Tank Probe for Information System
(reads fuel level for Distance to Empty/Fuel Remaining) - reads empty or N/A
- Right Rear Power Window - not working
- Fuse Box / Relay system - perhaps the root of many of these problems?
- Cruise Control - very erratic and searching +/- 5 kmh
- Security System ? (at least it wasn't working - now just the driver door problem)
... and now the tach reading twice what it should be ...

Any ideas - please let me know

Dave
Canada

See less See more
#3 ·
It has been so long ago that I am not sure whether you saw my posting about the double-reading tach, or someone elses. My 90LS has done it intermittently for about 3 years now. Seems to be worse in the winter. I have never been able to find what causes it. It comes and goes at will!
I have found evidence of bad solder joints on the main relay and cooling fan relay, so I strongly suspect this problem may be related to poor soldering as well.

#4 ·
Intermittent tachs, and red-line (1990)

Thanks, yes, I'm sure I did see your post, cause I searched throughout the forum(s) to find anything related to tach, tachometer, and read it all.

I'm not sure if it's reading exactly true - cause with the pedal to the metal the auto is shifting into the red zone by a good 500+ rpm. Manual says max recommended speed in 2nd is 97kmh, and max speed in 3rd is 160kmh. When I go 97km/h(60mph) in 2nd, again I'm 500+ rpm into the red. Haven't tried the 160km/h(100mph) test, but will soon. I imagine it'll be the same. So either my speedo's reading slightly under, or my tach is reading slightly over, or a combo of both, or the tach is not showing me the true "red-line". This engine should be common to all 1988-1990. 2675cc. My tach shows the redline at 6400. Like I say it's slightly over that (can't remember exactly) at 97 km/h(60mph) in 2nd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.