Acura Legend Forum banner

DIY: Bleeding the air out of your coolant (Post #7)

24K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Mike Diaz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What is suposed to be in The small clear tank that raps around the winshield solutuion tank? Mine empty and i think its needs somehting...i think it might be liquid coolant or sumthin?

See post #7 for DIY

#4 ·
Two things:

If the tank is empty, you could have a problem. Legends do not do well with cooling system problems. If your coolant reservoir is empty, your cooling system may be low, or worse, may have air in it.

Second, it is recommended to use Honda coolant. Better for the water pump.

#6 ·
When the engine is cold open the radiator cap and fill to the top, you can start ur engine once its filled to see if any air bleeds out and fill more if needed-then cap it. then open the coolat res and fill it,... I think halfway. Keep an eye on it for a while, my res kept overflowing then sucking all the extra coolant back into the radiator leaving my res empty...the fist sign of my BHG.

Theres also a small valve you can open to perge air, i forget where it is... its in plan sight, i think where the radiator hose meets the throttlebody. but first do the above.
good luck

#7 ·
First, fill the overflow jug to the MAX line.

Then when the car is cold, pop the radiator cap off and fill it to the top.

Next, start the car and turn the heat on high.

Then, open the bleeder valve (12mm valve on top of the engine, at the end of the upper radiator hose), and keep the coolant full.

When the fan kicks on the first time, close the bleeder valve. All the while, making sure the coolant is full in the radiator.

After each cycle of the radiator fan, open and close the bleeder valve within 3-4 seconds. Keep filling the radiator.

After about 4-5 times doing this, you should be good. Put the radiator cap back on and make sure your overflow jug is at the MAX line.

#26 ·

Then, open the bleeder valve (12mm valve on top of the engine, at the end of the upper radiator hose), and keep the coolant full.

When the fan kicks on the first time, close the bleeder valve. All the while, making sure the coolant is full in the radiator.

After each cycle of the radiator fan, open and close the bleeder valve within 3-4 seconds. Keep filling the radiator.

After about 4-5 times doing this, you should be good. Put the radiator cap back on and make sure your overflow jug is at the MAX line.
"When the fan kicks on the first time, close the bleeder valve. All the while, making sure the coolant is full in the radiator. " <----- This step, how do you make this work, do you leave the radiator cap off, and keep adding coolant, because when I did this my cooling system was all wacky I am assuming because they was no pressure in the system...

#9 ·
Mike Diaz said:

Jesus. We need to put these instructions in a DIY or something. I should do it when i get phils car running. I have done it like 20 times on my old white legend. Could do it in my sleep. Hell, ill lay out the tools and make it look good.

#22 ·
iff you own a legend you need to do this actually this should be done with every oil change 3 months is enought time for even the smallest leak to put enough air in the system

does this spill a lot of coolant?? like maybe i should do this in the street

just curious because it says to keep adding it after its full so its gotta be going somewhere right....
yea youll spill some of it dont worry the more running out of the car means your pushing air out

#21 ·
does this spill a lot of coolant?? like maybe i should do this in the street

just curious because it says to keep adding it after its full so its gotta be going somewhere right....

#35 ·
what kind of problems can occur if there is air in the coolant system? When i press hard on the gas pedal, my temp guage goes down (towards lower temp.) a bit. Can air in the coolant system cause this?
if you're temp goes down when you romp on it, that's a damn good thing.. means your thermastat's workin nice and your coolants good.

air in the system will cause the waterpump to lose steady flow... causing the waterpump to just slosh the nearest coolant around and the rest of the coolant will stay stationary... think of when you clean a fishtank... gravity is like the waterpump.. and when you get air in the tube... the water stops flowing and the tube empties out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.