Wilwood 6-piston brakes - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-03, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Honda Legend Coupe
Car 2: Ford Focus Zetec

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wilwood 6-piston brakes

Has anyone tried to install Wilwood 6-piston brakes, and if so, what size wheels are you using and did you have any problems?
HotHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-03, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
werd.....

Car 1: 92 LS coupe 5spd - sold

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RangerJoe
i am also very interested in this question. wilwood make some sweet brakes.

im guessing if you have 17's or 18's, you can fit 14-15" brakes, but you would never need that size for a legend...only car with brakes that big (as far as i know) is the saleen S7 (8 piston calipers/15" discs)

buy anyway, good question.
RangerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 01:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Just talked to the suppliers - apparently they have 4-pot kits, but the "hats" (those things that connect to the rotors i think) have to be slightly modified to fit in our legends. May fit 16" rims, but 17" are better for clearence and bigger rotors.

Damn..I'll need new wheels since I only have stock 15" (gasp..horrible hey!!). Which is a pain, since I'll have to go through all that offset drama issues. I'll wait till my crap tyres wear out first before this upgrade i think.

Im in Australia, so maybe I'll just do a powerchip upgrade instead - apparently the 145kw to 165kw upgrade is for stock cars (no exhaust or air intake required), but you need to use 98RON fuel (we have them everywhere over here, only they are more expensive). I'll get a dyno run on stock with the 98RON fuel and see what the performance is before I rechip it.

BTW..does our standard ECU take into account and benefit from higher octane fuel?
Old 05-12-03, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Yg

Car 1: 1991 Black Sedan

Send a message via AIM to Stratoknight Send a message via Yahoo to Stratoknight
Let us know about the PowerChip!

The AEM Big Brake from a 97 and up Prelude has been done! Only rotors though. It is possible to get the whole package I've heard.
Stratoknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
one thing about fit of brakes.

the Size (diameter) of the wheels have very little to do with brake clearance. its all contingent on the wheel design. some 18" wheels can barely fit 12" brake setups while some 15" wheels can take a 13" brake.

about wilwood. i haven't heard much about them but what i have heard is that their import stuff is junk (dont quote me i just heard this) but i wouldn't mind checking it out for myself if i had the cashflow.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 02:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: .

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
This is what I have gathered on this topic so far:
A legend has had a NSX brake caliper mount placed on it with just minor modification. This was front only, and if it wasn't a NSX somone correct me, but I thought it was.

Just from that alone you can believe, never tired it myself, that an upgrade, aka "Big Brake", kit would fit as well.

If these two fit together then we could feasably get the Brembo 6-pot NSX kit on a Legend. Granted we could only do the front. That is only until I figure out a way to make the rear parking brake a caliper. Any way, chime in....tell me were I am wrong...tell me if you have some experience....tell me anything! I just want to know what the others, who have probably tried this, think.
Later!
Lee

BTW-I have searched alot on this, but I can't remember the details right now. It's pretty late, and I am on a new med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprlegendcp View Post
You know what is funny about all of this? Acura-Legend.com is not even the best URL for this forum.
sleeprlegendcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 02:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Okay I gonna do the powerchip instead of brake kit..Ive booked in the dyno to get a printout of my stock legend first tho. Its a type I (we didnt get type-II in oz () and I'm currently using the commonly available premium unleaded, which is a 96 octane rating. The Gold Chip 98 however requires a 98 octane for full benefits. This is also commonly available here in Oz.

p.s. I am not sure if here in Oz we use the same octane ratings as in the states..any experts like to comment on this.

Its gonna cost me all up A$1390 (or US$850) with installation. Dyno runs will cost me A$77 each - btw, the dyno place Im gonna go to also have Unichip..so I may have a chat about their ECU piggyback system. However, they do not have specific configurations for our legends.
Old 05-12-03, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by HotHonda
Okay I gonna do the powerchip instead of brake kit..Ive booked in the dyno to get a printout of my stock legend first tho. Its a type I (we didnt get type-II in oz () and I'm currently using the commonly available premium unleaded, which is a 96 octane rating. The Gold Chip 98 however requires a 98 octane for full benefits. This is also commonly available here in Oz.

p.s. I am not sure if here in Oz we use the same octane ratings as in the states..any experts like to comment on this.

Its gonna cost me all up A$1390 (or US$850) with installation. Dyno runs will cost me A$77 each - btw, the dyno place Im gonna go to also have Unichip..so I may have a chat about their ECU piggyback system. However, they do not have specific configurations for our legends.
I really hope you do this! I am very interested. I have a few questions I would like you to ask them before we get into this. Basically is all comes down to one thing. On their site the state the Engine that the chip fits as a C32A3. Our engines are C32A's, I think there might be a 1 or 2. I am trying to figure out if this is the JDM code, which didn't have a type I or Type II, or maybe something special for Aus. I am willing to be a guini pig for the US buyers. I just need a shop, prefferably in ATL, to do the install. I will ship arrange shipping based upon HotHonda's results.
Later!
Lee

Quote:
You know what is funny about all of this? Acura-Legend.com is not even the best URL for this forum.
Old 05-12-03, 04:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh one more thing..on the Powerchip website, the Gold98 chip refers to 98RON octane. Apparently in the US they have a different octane rating system, which is an average of RON and MON. Hence a 98RON equates to 92.5 octane under the US system (at the pump).
Old 05-12-03, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Blang, Blang

Car 1: 1991 Frost white sedan

Send a message via AIM to B-Lo
Quote:
Originally posted by HotHonda
Just talked to the suppliers - apparently they have 4-pot kits, but the "hats" (those things that connect to the rotors i think) have to be slightly modified to fit in our legends. May fit 16" rims, but 17" are better for clearence and bigger rotors.

Damn..I'll need new wheels since I only have stock 15" (gasp..horrible hey!!). Which is a pain, since I'll have to go through all that offset drama issues. I'll wait till my crap tyres wear out first before this upgrade i think.

Im in Australia, so maybe I'll just do a powerchip upgrade instead - apparently the 145kw to 165kw upgrade is for stock cars (no exhaust or air intake required), but you need to use 98RON fuel (we have them everywhere over here, only they are more expensive). I'll get a dyno run on stock with the 98RON fuel and see what the performance is before I rechip it.

BTW..does our standard ECU take into account and benefit from higher octane fuel?
Does anyone have a site with a calculator to change those figures over to hp?

Let us know how the chip is cause I have been wondering of upgrading to it for 2+ years now but am a person who likes to be the test subject
Quote:
Originally posted by acuralegend.com

Frequent Rim Benders club member #1.
B-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-03, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Lo

Does anyone have a site with a calculator to change those figures over to hp?

Let us know how the chip is cause I have been wondering of upgrading to it for 2+ years now but am a person who likes to be the test subject
try a search using my screen name and powerchip. I found a site to convert HP. It showed about a 22 Hp increase over stock. That was with a stock set up if I am correct. I have it at home. You can also search the net for conversion calculators, that's how I did it!
Later!
Lee

Quote:
Old 05-14-03, 01:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Honda Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sleeprlegendcp
This is what I have gathered on this topic so far:
A legend has had a NSX brake caliper mount placed on it with just minor modification. This was front only, and if it wasn't a NSX somone correct me, but I thought it was.
No modifications needed.
SNEEK-E HONDA KA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 06:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
I might be wrong, but I believe TypeII Legends (Including GS Sedan) are pretty much identical to the NSX setup. Which is dual piston. Except it doesn't say NSX on it, and there are small "grooves" in the NSX version, very minor difference.

What a lot of prelude owners do, is get TypeII Calipers and modify them to fit their Preludes. hehe

Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 10:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Milano Red Coupe L

I would think that the Prelude kit should fit on the Legend no problem. I wouldn't want to add a 6-piston caliper with a 14" rotor though until I could add like a 12" with a 2 or 4 piston to the back.

1994 Acura Legend Coupe
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedDemon
I would think that the Prelude kit should fit on the Legend no problem. I wouldn't want to add a 6-piston caliper with a 14" rotor though until I could add like a 12" with a 2 or 4 piston to the back.
That's my hold up too! I am trying to figure out if the NSX parking brake can be used with a NSX brake kit in the rear. If this is possible, we can get all 4 corners in any NSX "Big Brake Kit."
Later!
Lee

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications