DIY - EGR Removal Pics - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-05, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 944 Turbo

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ballistic
DIY - EGR removal w/ pics

1. You are going to get annoyed. The EGR valve is in a very tight location.
2. This is taken with the intake manifold already removed.
3. Approx time: 40minutes or MORE. (15 if your pro and girly hands)
4. Becareful not to lose any nuts or bolts!
5. EGR is located on the passanger side right next to the intake manifold. Where the firewall is. It's next to the black box. (remove that black box)
6. AFter step 3, there is a gasket. Go to dealership and buy a new one.
EGR REMOVAL: (fallow the pictures step 1-7)

Start with removing the strut brace (you don't have a choice)
Step1:
Remove the hose

Step 2.
Disconnect the harness

Step 3.
Remove the 2 bolts, 10 or 12mm rachet will do it. Once they are removed, the top of the EGR will come off.

Step 4:
Approx 1-2inches below the step3 nuts, are 2 more nuts. Remove them. you'll need a 10mm or 12mm rachet.

Step 5:
Next you will need to remove 2 bolts about 1-2inches below the nuts in step 4. They are on TIGHT. Remember, if you are on standing on the passangers side, push towards the drivers side. What u are removing is the right side of the pipeing that goes into the intake manifold. The seventh Step will remove this pipe.

Step 6
Traveling another 1-2inches under step 5 will be 2 more bolts. Once you remove these 2bolts, the whole EGR can be removed.

Step 7
Finally, if you wish to clean the EGR system correctly, you'll have to remove the EGR -> intake manifold(lower plenum) pipe. It's a PAIN IN THE ASS but do able. This pipe is FILLED with carbon. It's digusting. Remove this bad boy and clean it out well!!!

Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-05, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Type I King

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan
Car 2: 91 LS Coupe 5 spd
Car 3: 95 LS 6 spd coupe

Send a message via AIM to Hotstartup Send a message via MSN to Hotstartup Send a message via Yahoo to Hotstartup
awesome DIY bro
Hotstartup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-05, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys . Got really lucky with taking these shots. It's so dark back there.
Old 07-04-05, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Camp 5s pd 4 dr

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Good pics man, especially with the manifold off the car as to see where the bolts should be on the far end of the EGR pipe. YOU CAN'T SEE THOSE FAR NUTS without removal of the manifold!!! THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ACE TO GET AT!!! I did mine in about 1 hr and it was my first time.
champ5spd4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-05, 03:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ5spd4dr
Good pics man, especially with the manifold off the car as to see where the bolts should be on the far end of the EGR pipe. YOU CAN'T SEE THOSE FAR NUTS without removal of the manifold!!! THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ACE TO GET AT!!! I did mine in about 1 hr and it was my first time.
Thanks for the kind words. I have to do this AGAIN on my other legend w/ the intake manifold still on. I'll get the experience the PITA way
Old 07-04-05, 03:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
Don't move your pictures!! you moved your pictures for the umm... Power Seat thread I think and they're all Xs..it was one of your picture threads anyways

I usually save them to my hard drive just in case =p
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-05, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 96 Legend

Only cleaning the out the 3 components mentioned above may not clear up any issues you man have with the EGR system. I did this without pulling the intake manifold to clean that out and I am still having a very sluggish acceleration. I may have a bad component in the EGR system, but I know the main valve/diaphram is working properly.

3g Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Seattle Silver LS Sedan
Car 2: 1997 Integra LS

I've removed the intake and EGR pipe. The end of the EGR pipe that connects to the intake was mighty cruddy. The other end of the EGR pipe where it connects to the EGR looked OK.

Now the question, when you removed the entire EGR housing (steps 4 and 6 of the fine DIY), did that part show any signs of clogging?

I've got gaskets due to arrive tomorrow, but didn't order any for the EGR housing (4 bolts) so I plan on leaving it alone since the blockage was at the other end of the EGR pipe at the intake. Does that make sense? Thanks.
PoodleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-05, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

If I understand your question correctly, there will be a mild carbon build up. But, not as severe as the pipe itself.

reguarding the gaskets: You can get away without replaced the gaskets. It might not be a "good idea". But I did it twice without any problems.
Old 11-04-05, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

I understand what you mean about reusing the gaskets. I'm doing that on 1 or 2 right now. It sounds like the gasket(s) usually comes off clean so I'll take my chances and pull it in the morning to give it a quick cleaning before putting the intake back on.

The EGR valve itself looked fine. So far the only real crud I've seen in the EGR system is where the EGR pipe connects to the bottom of the intake. One of the two ports on the intake was plugged 'big time'.

Can't wait to get this baby running. I hope I feel a noticeable difference. It'd be even better if the 'old lady' felt a diff, but that would be a miracle... Thanks for the info and TGIF
Old 11-07-05, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
question on the egr valve filter...did you guys replace yours?

you guys didnt mention anything about the filter and i didnt see any pic of it...in the helms...it says to replace it...i want to clean out my egr soon and since im taking it off i might as well change the filter also...

heres a pic...
Old 11-08-05, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

I didn't know an EGR filter existed...

I didn't take any of my EGR valve apart, I just removed the passage and cleaned it with a wire brush. There wasn't much in there. Really the main 'crud' is at the other end of the EGR pipe where it connects to the intake.

After cleaning the entire intake, the car runs much better and no water leaks...
Old 11-15-05, 06:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Where did you find that breakdown picture of the ERGR?

Legendarysleeper - Where did you find the breakdown picture of the EGR. I didn't know there was a filter in there either or I would have at least blown it out with air.

If that pic is in the Helms manual, please tell me what section/page number. Thanks!
Old 02-10-06, 12:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Black L Coupe
Car 2: 91 Red LS Coupe(RIP)

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JTJohnny102 Send a message via MSN to JTJohnny102
how many gaskets should I get. Assuming one unless i take apart the whole egr assembly?
JTJohnny102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm not sure what you mean if you are not taking it all apart. Just disconnecting the main parts from the motor, I was able to reuse my gaskets without any problems. If you want new gaskets, you got to finger out exactly which ones you are taking apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs