DIY: Electric Tilt & Telescope Column Install Into a 91-93 With All AUTO Features. - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-07, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
One Meeelion HP

Car 1: 95 BMW 740I
Car 2: (860) 585-7200
Car 3: 91 LS Cpe 3.5 *sold*

iTrader Score: 44 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to sr5guy Send a message via AIM to sr5guy
Lightbulb DIY: Electric Tilt & Telescope Column Install Into a 91-93 With All AUTO Features.

I dont think there's a better feeling on a Legend than opening your door, putting the key in and having the steering column come down and into position automatically. Unfortunetly, the 91-93 Legends did not come with this feature, and as far as I know up until this time, no one has succesfully completed the full conversion with auto and memory features working. This DIY will cover the conversion of my 1991 L model sedan and will be updated in segments as its completed, so until that time please dont quote it.

You will need to have a medium to intermediate knowledge of electrical wiring, a lot of patience and some serious cajones to do this conversion. You should solder all connections and use heat shrink tubing for a reliable long lasting connection. It would be best to have access to a complete 94-95 parts car from a u-pull-it junkyard or equivelent.

Parts list:
  • 94-95 Steering column assembly
    *Must be complete with entire ignition assembly and key, clock spring, headlight and wiper combination switches, and the steering column trim clam with tilt and tele switches. (The steering wheel and airbag from the 91-93 will fit if needed)
  • Steering column-to-rack U-joint
  • Dash support beam
  • Dash lower trim (under column) AKA knee bolster
  • Driver's side body wiring harness from the under dash fuse box to the ETS module in the back seat
  • Two male connector cuts for the column combination switches. Cut the plugs off of the main body wire harness so you can plug them into the female connectors on the combination switches)
  • ETS module behind rear seat (memory computer)
  • Steering column relay module (above column, on top of security module)

It helps to understand the major difference between the memory and seat modules in the 91-93's and the 94-95's. The 91-93's have a combination relay and memory computer mounted under the driver's seat. The seat switches, memory switches and sensors, and motors are all connected directly to this module. The 94-95's, on the other hand, have ONLY a relay module mounted underneath the driver's seat. The memory computer (ETS module), located behind the left side of the BACK seat, controls both the driver's seat AND steering column. The memory switches, sensors, and all relays for the seat and column motors are connected to this module. If it were removed, both the seat and the column would not function at all.

My first experiment was to see if the ETS module would work the column properly without the seat or any of its sensors connected. The experiment was successful. This means that a complete re-wire of the seat is not necessary. The 91-93 combination relay and memory module can be retained to work just the seat. The ETS module and all column wiring can be added on top of existing 91-93 wire harness. The memory buttons on the door will be connected to both of the modules and will operate both of them at the same time.

Here's a video of that experiment:

Step 1.
Find a suitable workspace and lay out the donor car's driver's side body wire harness from end to end. Connect the ETS memory module, the column (motors and memory sensors) and column relay box to help isolate what is needed.

Step 2.
Remove all of the wiring conduits, clips, looming and electrical tape leaving only a clean bunch of wires. Start by removing what is obviously not necessary - the wiring for the antenna, cd changer, speakers, bose amp, tail lamps, sunroof, and etc can be cut and removed. Starting from the ETS module, isolate the portion of the harness that runs directly to the column and relay box, cut the grounds by the back seat and b pillar leaving the ring terminals attached (left portion of harness in picture). Then isolate the portion of the harness that runs from the ETS module to the seat (right harness in picture, REMOVE this) and carefully remove all of the seat wiring from the ETS connectors by removing the retainers and using a terminal pick to release the pins. Isolate the wires that run from the ETS module to the front fuse box and dashboard wire harness (center harness in picture) - remove the retainers on the connectors and release the pins, dont cut these wires!!!!.

Step 3.
Print out these wiring diagrams:
91-93 Seat wiring 1 of 1
94-95 Seat and column wiring 1 of 2
94-95 Seat and column wiring 2 of 2

Much more later.................

Matt

Last edited by sr5guy; 07-13-07 at 02:45 AM.
sr5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-07, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: White 91 KA8 5spd W/3.5, TII Cams & Manifold
Car 2: White 91 KA8 JDM TII

iTrader Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Telion Send a message via MSN to Telion Send a message via Yahoo to Telion
Let me be the first to say this is a thing of beauty . . .Well done Matt
3.5 TwinTurbo,TII springs & manifold,Telion Chip, HID's, D2 coilovers,Addco bars,TII calipers,RH C2's,R.J. shifter, 3"exhaust, hiflow cat,StageIII clutch,S&D rotors,KVR pads,Blackend damper,CF hood,AFC NEO,AEM FIC,Aluminum pulley,C&R Racing radiator,Garrett T3/T4 Turbos,Tial wastegates,Topfuel BOV,Fujita filters & Prosport guages. Pretty damn fast and far from done.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Type II King

Car 1: 94 Legend Gs type II

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
your insane matt, good work
2.5" mandrel exhaust, deleted cat, cold air intake, web cam regrinds, comp cam valve springs, port & polish heads and manifold, tb bypass, egr block, five speed clutch/flywheel, 80a polyurethane mounts all around, type 1 pulley, headers,re-fabed y-pipe, SR5guy Custom Chip, 6speed swap, safc II, strut bar, F/R sway bars, FL tie bars, ksports,tune
243.3 hp 197.7 ftlb N/A dynapack before manual swap
232.8 hp 204.0 ftlb N/A dynojet 10/19/07
13.737 1/4 mile @ 100.207 mph & 2.012 60' NA
Forevralegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 01:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Boom Selecta!

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe 5spd

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MistaBigXXL
Wow! This is an awesome mod, And a damn good DIY.
GJ Matt
Old 07-13-07, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dont Catch
100m Running Champion, Alpine Escape Champion, Emergency Champion, Flash Back Champion, Home Run Champion, Kill The Pop ups Champion

Car 1: 92 Integra

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bl420
lovely... just lovely...

hopefully i'll have this done someday

**Anti Alpine Type-R Thread**
bl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 02:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Alperovich Send a message via MSN to Alperovich
nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl420 View Post
lovely... just lovely...

hopefully i'll have this done someday
I'll be done with mine hopefully with in a few weeks.
Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 02:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 94 Legend LS Coupe
Car 3: 02 RSX

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
This is incredible I hope that one day have the sufficient money and time to do this. Awesome DIY!
Old 07-13-07, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mile High Cruiser

Car 1: 1991 Sedan LS

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Awesome work man. Look forward to the complete DIY.

I hope I have the balls to attempt this someday.
AcidFire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-07, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
AKA Smartjay28

Car 1: JDM KA7
Car 2: w203

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Kim Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Kim
WATTTTTTTTTTT....niceeeee.how long did this take u to install?
now i gotta think of something to swap on my legend lol.

oh and ps...nice sig hahaha
Old 07-24-07, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
AKA Smartjay28

Car 1: JDM KA7
Car 2: w203

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Kim Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Kim
i jus got an idea...how about i do ure ACC swap, and u do my tilt swap hahahha
Old 07-24-07, 02:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
AKA Carlton I3anks

Car 1: "92 Acura Legend L Grey/Black
Car 2: 91LS Sedan 3.5'd!

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 91LS 3.5 Send a message via Yahoo to 91LS 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5guy View Post
I dont think there's a better feeling on a Legend than opening your door, putting the key in and having the steering column come down and into position automatically. Unfortunetly, the 91-93 Legends did not come with this feature, and as far as I know up until this time, no one has succesfully completed the full conversion with auto and memory features working. This DIY will cover the conversion of my 1991 L model sedan and will be updated in segments as its completed, so until that time please dont quote it.

You will need to have a medium to intermediate knowledge of electrical wiring, a lot of patience and some serious cajones to do this conversion. You should solder all connections and use heat shrink tubing for a reliable long lasting connection. It would be best to have access to a complete 94-95 parts car from a u-pull-it junkyard or equivelent.

Parts list:
  • 94-95 Steering column assembly
    *Must be complete with entire ignition assembly and key, clock spring, headlight and wiper combination switches, and the steering column trim clam with tilt and tele switches. (The steering wheel and airbag from the 91-93 will fit if needed)
  • Steering column-to-rack U-joint
  • Dash support beam
  • Dash lower trim (under column) AKA knee bolster
  • Driver's side body wiring harness from the under dash fuse box to the ETS module in the back seat
  • Two male connector cuts for the column combination switches. Cut the plugs off of the main body wire harness so you can plug them into the female connectors on the combination switches)
  • ETS module behind rear seat (memory computer)
  • Steering column relay module (above column, on top of security module)

It helps to understand the major difference between the memory and seat modules in the 91-93's and the 94-95's. The 91-93's have a combination relay and memory computer mounted under the driver's seat. The seat switches, memory switches and sensors, and motors are all connected directly to this module. The 94-95's, on the other hand, have ONLY a relay module mounted underneath the driver's seat. The memory computer (ETS module), located behind the left side of the BACK seat, controls both the driver's seat AND steering column. The memory switches, sensors, and all relays for the seat and column motors are connected to this module. If it were removed, both the seat and the column would not function at all.

My first experiment was to see if the ETS module would work the column properly without the seat or any of its sensors connected. The experiment was successful. This means that a complete re-wire of the seat is not necessary. The 91-93 combination relay and memory module can be retained to work just the seat. The ETS module and all column wiring can be added on top of existing 91-93 wire harness. The memory buttons on the door will be connected to both of the modules and will operate both of them at the same time.

Here's a video of that experiment:

Step 1.
Find a suitable workspace and lay out the donor car's driver's side body wire harness from end to end. Connect the ETS memory module, the column (motors and memory sensors) and column relay box to help isolate what is needed.

Step 2.
Remove all of the wiring conduits, clips, looming and electrical tape leaving only a clean bunch of wires. Start by removing what is obviously not necessary - the wiring for the antenna, cd changer, speakers, bose amp, tail lamps, sunroof, and etc can be cut and removed. Starting from the ETS module, isolate the portion of the harness that runs directly to the column and relay box, cut the grounds by the back seat and b pillar leaving the ring terminals attached (left portion of harness in picture). Then isolate the portion of the harness that runs from the ETS module to the seat (right harness in picture, REMOVE this) and carefully remove all of the seat wiring from the ETS connectors by removing the retainers and using a terminal pick to release the pins. Isolate the wires that run from the ETS module to the front fuse box and dashboard wire harness (center harness in picture) - remove the retainers on the connectors and release the pins, dont cut these wires!!!!.

Step 3.
Print out these wiring diagrams:
91-93 Seat wiring 1 of 1
94-95 Seat and column wiring 1 of 2
94-95 Seat and column wiring 2 of 2

Much more later.................

Matt

I knew the day I saw you building that tree house that you were a fuckin nerd!!! lol good work Matt I swear your a fuckin genious!!
Old 07-24-07, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Frost White LS coupe
Car 2: 1995 Milano LS coupe

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SBWooder
Very good mod. The DIY looks great too. It's great that you did your homework and informed us about all the memory systems for the legend.

Chris (Mr. Wood)

Frost on Ivory
Old 07-24-07, 11:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
A murder of Scarecrows Champion, Just Not Cricket Champion

Car 1: ITR 00-106
Car 2: 95 FZJ 80

iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kenso
Very cool. Nice demo!
Old 08-10-07, 02:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Cashmere Silver LS Coupe

Send a message via AIM to GoldenCoupe
Has there been any update on this? I've already pulled all of these parts and am wanting to start the install, only I have a few questions. One wall I ran into was the fact that I am installing a steering column out of a 94 L sedan into a 93 LS coupe which removed my tcs sensor in the column. The TCS sensor was redesigned for the newer columns so mine is not interchangeable. I'm trying to locate just this part from another junker, only it's extremely difficult because I need to stumble upon a 94+LS coupe or a 94+GS sedan. The TCS sensor from Acura alone would cost almost tripple what I paid for all of the parts in this conversion. I got a great deal on all of the parts and am deciphering the wiring guides as well as possible. I have a helm, but for my year coupe, so it really doesn't help all that much for the newer column. Any help would be most appreciated!!!

My Legend's sad
GoldenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 11:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Cashmere Silver LS Coupe

Send a message via AIM to GoldenCoupe
bumppppppppp

My Legend's sad
GoldenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs