How To Replace The VSS - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-03, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cap

Car 1: '92 LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Post how to replace the VSS

I could not find the tutorial for VSS replacement. So, I used the Helm's manual, and the instructions on the replacement part to figure it out. I've attached an image of the part installed on the car. Hopefully this image, and the following notes will help others to perform this task.

First, you need to order the replacement part. The part number is 06560-PY3-000. You need a #20 Torx tamper-proof bit or screwdriver. The Torx tamper-free is NOT the same as a normal Torx bit. Tamper-free bits have a hole in the tip. You will also need a 10mm box-end wrench, 10mm socket wrench, and a phillips head screwdriver.

Then, you need to remove the plastic shroud that protects the forward-underside of the engine bay. Jack up the car, and find the oil filter. Remove the 10mm bolts and two plastic buttons that secure the shroud that spans the entire width of the car, and is just forward of the oil filter.

Now, take a look at this image:

The VSS is located right beside the oil filter. First, detach the electrical connector circled in red. Next, remove the single 10mm bolt cirlced in yellow (with yellow arrow). By twisting the whole assembly back and forth, you can withdraw the VSS from the differential. A few drops of oil will spill -- have a rag ready. Then, remove the 3 Torx screws from the top of the VSS. These are circled in green on my image. Finally, use a phillips screwdriver to remove the 2 screws that hold the sensor unit to the assembly.

Replacement is the reverse. I found it much easier to work with the new parts while the VSS assembly was dangling from the two rubber hoses that you need not remove. Be sure to replace the O-ring on the VSS shaft, and the odd-shaped dust seal that goes under the top plate.

The whole job took about an hour... I could do it again in half the time now that I know how.

Cap
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-03, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Granada Black Acura Legend GS Sedan
Car 2: 2007 Subaru Forester

Send a message via MSN to shahavchik
Re: how to replace the VSS

Just did that last week. Dust seal is the pain to put back. it doesn't hold in place by it self.

I used exactly the same procedure as you.

One more helpful advice:
Those phillips screws are tough to remove. If the phillips screwdriver not catching those 2 screws, make sure you have the right phillips head. I had about 5 different phillips bits and only one was catching the head of the phillips screw well.

Also, on my sedan I didn't have to remove any plastic underbody cover. I could just reach in to the hole
shahavchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-03, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
F O B o L o * S

Car 1: 94 LS Coupe

Man! I attempting changing my VSS today, and had nothing but bad luck. I finally got the assembly off the car. But I stripped the philips screws. I tried everywhere screwdriver I had. Then went to Sears and tired everyone they had. The head just got worse and worse, but did budge a bit. What can I do now? Can i drill them out? But the VSS kit didnt come with new screws.
Old 04-05-03, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cap

Car 1: '92 LS Coupe

If the screw heads aren't too badly mangled yet, you can try this trick: get some valve lapping compound and place a small dab on the tip of the screwdriver. Now apply a strong downward pressure on the screwdriver while turning. It will generally work if the screws aren't completely ruined.

Cap
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-03, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Legend L Blue
Car 2: 1994 Legend L White

Cap,

Terrific pictures and instructions! Thanks a lot!
I got out and under last night and went right by the oil filter and found something on the side of the transmission that I thought might be the offending part (vss). It had 4 wires at a connector going behind a black plastic piece, and it looked a little challenging to get off. I was delighted to see from your pictures that I was in the wrong ballpark! Any idea what that part was that I was looking at?
Thanks again,

Dave
vayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-03, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Someone put this in the DYI section.

Good pics Cap.

Can someone give me a quick run down on the symptoms of a bad VSS.

Does the car shift irratically or jerk at times during travel or what?
Or is it just that the speedometer jumps around during travel?

Someone put this in the DYI section. This is good info.
CakeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-03, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Re: Someone put this in the DYI section.

Quote:
Originally posted by CakeDaddy
Good pics Cap.

Can someone give me a quick run down on the symptoms of a bad VSS.

Does the car shift irratically or jerk at times during travel or what?
Or is it just that the speedometer jumps around during travel?

Someone put this in the DYI section. This is good info.
Speedometer jumping is usually the symptom. Then your D4 light starts blinking (auto). If your D4 light starts blinking then your transmission might be a little hessitant to switch gears at the right time.

One other symptom I had was that when D4 was blinking and I had to come to the stop fairly quickly, my Check Enginge light and TCS lights went on.
Old 04-07-03, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Re: Re: Someone put this in the DYI section.

Quote:
Originally posted by shahavchik

Speedometer jumping is usually the symptom. Then your D4 light starts blinking (auto). If your D4 light starts blinking then your transmission might be a little hessitant to switch gears at the right time.

One other symptom I had was that when D4 was blinking and I had to come to the stop fairly quickly, my Check Enginge light and TCS lights went on.
ahhh, I see. that helps alot thx. I dont have the symptons, but its good to know.
CakeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-03, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
*he legendary baller

Car 1: 1996 BMW 328i / 92 LS Sedan-Sold To Sister

Are all of the vss modules the same (interchangable) through all of the years?
BALLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-03, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 sedan(sold,) 93 Soarer

Send a message via AIM to drinkdontdrive
Yes,

I am 99% sure - I used a 91 coupe on a 94 sedan without any problems.

Jonny
Drinkdontdrive@aol.com
drinkdontdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-04, 10:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Completly rebuilding...

Car 1: '94 LS 6-Spd Coupe

I was in the process of pulling my VSS out and replacing it when I saw that I need to replace the VSS assembly o-ring. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a replacement o-ring? Would the dealership sell me one? Can I get this at an auto parts store? How do I tell what size I need?

Thanks in advance.
Konig Tantrums, Momo Shift knob & E-brake, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni REDS, Dampner, Web Cams, DV8 y-pipe, OBX headers, Remus exhaust, DV8 intake, Aluminum pulley set, Short shifter, Telion chip, Valentine One w/custom gauge cluster display, MLS strut bar, Tie-Bar
llloydxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-04, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by llloydxmas
I was in the process of pulling my VSS out and replacing it when I saw that I need to replace the VSS assembly o-ring. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a replacement o-ring? Would the dealership sell me one? Can I get this at an auto parts store? How do I tell what size I need?

Thanks in advance.
To replace VSS electronic component, you don't need to pull the entire VSS unit out of differential. Just unscrew the top part. All the pars needed for that come in VSS replacement kit.

However if you pulled the whole unit out, you can most likely get the O-ring from a dealer. They would know the size.
Old 01-19-04, 09:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
LPB

Car 1: 1992 Seattle Silver LS CPE
Car 2: 2007 Toyota Corolla
Car 3: 1981 Corvette

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Due to the potential problem with stripping of the phillips screws, remove the entire unit. I used a vise to hold the unit while I R&R the pickup. You just need to plug the two fluid lines. The rebuild kit included the gasket and O-ring.

Another symptom of a glitchy or failing VSS is to have your Cruise control disengage for no apparent reason.
Wings West Spoiler w/LED
Clear Corner Lens
Clear Bumper Lens
Clear Rear Side Markers
Brembo X-Drilled/Slotted
Stainless Braided Brake Hoses
Focus 2500 Driving Lamps
Gold Pkg
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 02:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hmmmm, cruise control disengaging... On my drive home last week from buying my car, The criuse control would work fine until I hit a medium to large bump when it woud either disengage completely or "jiggle down" and stay engaged at a slightly lower speed (5mph). I haven't had time yet to try and diagnose.. but could this be it?
Uncle Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 02:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Black on Black 6 speed LS Coupe

Send a message via AIM to KeithQNguyen Send a message via Yahoo to KeithQNguyen
Interesting, i did have my speedo jump a few times while i owned the car, but the jump was so minor and if i didn't look at the right time I wouldn't have noticed it. And I use cruise controll all the time! It's never disengaged on me at all. I'm debatign the replacement because of the possible incorrect mileage being reported. --=Keith

KeithQNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs