How To Replace The VSS - Page 10 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-13, 02:16 PM   #136 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 legend sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
this morning I took my roommate to work and my speedometer wouldn't work(lately its been jumping/acting up..) so I slap the dash and it worked...well a mile down the road it stopped again and then the D4 light stopped working!!WTF?!?...car still drives fine and all other gear selection lights work is it my VSS???

another little problem is my door locks will sometimes not wanna open they'll unlock and lock really fast wtf??...
kdena989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-13, 03:54 PM   #137 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend L-auto

kdena989

Well, even after changing out the VSS, my D4 light is off, but the speedometer works fine now. I don' think that is because the VSS, i think that is because it is the light that is on for the longest time, and will burn out 1st. Maybe smacking it like the Fonze, caused the filament to go! but it is most likely the VSS. its not expensive and easy to change, and the most likely culprit. Those are the exact symptoms mine had. i would change it.
As for the door locks, I would say with a high level of certainty that it is the little rubber bumpers in the door lock motor mechanism. they tend to tear over time. There is a thread somewhere on the board that has pics and a diy process. i took mine out, which is a bit of work, as you must remove the door panel, some window guides (but not the window), and do some hand acrobatics to deliver the part out. I've done it 3 times, it got faster each time (the other times because eventually the little motor stopped working because there was a break in the windings.) Anyway, i just flipped the little rubber bumper over and super glued the heck out of it on the non contacting side and it was just fine.... till the motor died. Of course now with 256,000 miles the head gasket is leaking (it is in the for sale section)... so all those other issues look small. This is an amazingly built car, they don't make them as well now... little issues here and there, but they are not hard to repair yourself (well i did not want to try the head-gasket, but the car has given me more service than I could ask with the original engine an transmission), so don't despair.
sc-fi_wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 04:10 PM   #138 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Acura legend L coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipLegend View Post
Definitely VSS. Look at your odometer and see if it's turning, if not, VSS.
If the odometer still turns is it vss ? my speedometer works sometimes doesnt work at others. Stays at 0 or tells me im going a lot faster than what i am. Or doesnt start working til about 20-40 mph. I want to fix this but want to be sure its a vss ?
Old 04-26-13, 12:34 PM   #139 (permalink)

I just finished replacing the VSS electronic part (the $100-$130 one, not the entire $395 mechanism) on my '91 L sedan, and I must say I ran into just about every difficulty described by others in this thread. Could have probably changed out that module right there on the car, but the two phillips head machine screws underneath the dust cover had other plans.

So my other lesson learned is that my old golf tee trick to plug the hoses once I removed them didn't work and I ended up with the entire reservoir of P/S fluid on the floor under my car. Lesson learned is to simply drain the hoses into something right there once you disconnect them. Once the entire distributor-like assembly was off my car, a hand-held impact driver convinced the screws to yield to Zod.

The kit nowadays includes the o-ring, torx bolts, dust cap gasket, and plastic wire tie. Interestingly it doesn't include replacements for the phillips-head machine screws, which got a little gnarled in the process of my beating them into submission.

Being that my car is 22+ years old with over 273,000 miles, I was curious whether this was the original VSS that I removed but I simply could not tell; could see no dates/markings on the old one to indicate age, and the previous owner was an Acura Tech, so it wouldn't be surprising it would still look 100% factory after he finished with it. Shoot, even the battery in my car is a Honda battery, he was so into OEM.
Used to own:
1994 Black Legend GS 6-speed

Last edited by Eric S.; 04-26-13 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Add info
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 05:34 PM   #140 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Oh now I'll have to grab some golf tees.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 04:22 AM   #141 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahavchik View Post
Speedometer jumping is usually t4x4 symptom. Then your D4 light starts blinking (auto). If your D4 light starts blinking then your transmission might be a little hesitant to switch gears at the right time.

One other symptom I had was that when D4 was blinking and I had to come to the stop fairly quickly, my Check Engine light and TCS lights went on.
Thank you I kept reading everyone talk about the erratic d4 light but when you said that second part tcs light plus cel light after a quick brake... exactly whats going on with mine now I'm 100% sure its it..

Last edited by 4HondaOwner; 04-05-14 at 04:47 PM.
ka7bomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs