Battery light stays on..Alternator? - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-07, 07:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mabuhay...

Car 1: '89 Sedan w/Auto (base model)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
Well, I disconnected the wire harness mounted on the alternator. it was corroded. couldnt tell until I began to disconnect it. I cleaned it and re-installed it. Ive been driveing all day long stopping and going, booming and moving. from 9am until about 5pm Ive had no problems with it. Battery and alternator are in good condition it seems. From a dead battery this morning, I jump started it with another car and let the alternator do the rest (after the cleaning) hopefully thats all it was.
I strongly recommend cleaning your negative terminal/connector(s) MrSmith... from the battery, mid-point (under the battery tray), all the way to the engine block.

Quote:
Judge Judy to prostitute: So when did you realize you were raped?!?
Prostitute wiping away tears: When the cheque bounced!?!
Tony (BDAZZGI) auto repair shop!
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-07, 07:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car 1: 1987 Legend L (White)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to garry Send a message via AIM to garry Send a message via Yahoo to garry
Yeah, corrosion can do that. You've probably found an easy solution to a difficult looking problem.

One time a buddy and I were at the library studying for physics and when we went to go to lunch his car wouldn't start. He mentioned his battery was bad and was gonna have it replaced that day. I was gonna give him a jump start, but since we were studying physics, electromagnetics in fact, i decided to put a volt meter between the battery and his terminals and told him to try to start the car. There was a large voltage drop. Now we had just finished studying his, "what causes a large voltage drop when put under load?"... RESISTANCE! where could that be coming from I asked myself.. I took out my battery brush and we cleaned his terminals. Car started right up after that and he didn't need a new battery at all. So we fixed his car without a penny spent.

the simple solutions are most likely the answer.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 07:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car 1: 1987 Legend L (White)

Send a message via ICQ to garry Send a message via AIM to garry Send a message via Yahoo to garry
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenlittleton View Post
I would agree with you but I dont know, Let me tell you whats going on with mine and why I'm here in the first place, I had the same thing and it stayed on for a couple months now and finally died 3 days ago. I have a brand new alternator from autozone cause Mine DIED, it failed on their little test thing. It was brand new out of the box. NOW, my battery is brand new. He said it kept 'yellow lighting' i guess yellow for warning, but we checked it out after it charged and it passed all the tests. I slapped it in last night and my battery light is STILL on... what else could it be??? Bad cables? Improper voltage going through? not enough? what else could it be?! Also, my ALT SENSE fuse keeps blowing. I put a 30 and even higher i think fuses on there and THEY BLOW TOO!!!! wtf?!?! Should I slip a tin foil gum wrapper in there and just connect the two? Or would that blow my baby up?
STEPHEN... DUDE, DO NOT DO THAT!

Fuses are meant to protect your car electronics from over-heating, fire, and personal injury. Ever seen a car on the side of the road engulfed in flames?? I have twice... I always wondered if the people were able to get out first.

Put only fuses with the correct rating in your fuse box. If they blow, there is an electrical problem somewhere that needs to be addressed.

Several of our members have had fires start in their car while driving; you don't wanna be the next one..
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 08:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 LS Coupe'
Car 2: 91 NSX
Car 3: various cars & bikes

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Stephenlittleton:

OMG. Whatever you do don't use a bigger fuse or wrap it with foil. The alternator sense wire senses bus voltage and feeds the regulator. This voltage signal provides feedback to the regulator. This is the signal wire that the regulator uses to regulate charge rate. If you continually blow the sense wire fuse you have a short circuit. A wire is grounded somewhere.

The manual has a very logical test sequense. Is the fuse you are referring to the #22 fuse under the dash? In further review of the shop manual I would have to say it has the best service section on the charging system I have seen.

It is also a good idea to clean up any corrosion associated with wiring. You may get away with it for now but it will surely crap-out on the coldest, nastiest, hottest, worst day of the year. This also usually occurs when you are in rush hour traffic driving your dog to the vet with a severe flea infestation.

If you end up pulling the alternator I would encourage you to change out the brushes and bearings.

I detest electrical failures. If you lived closer I would gladly help you do the repair. To top it off I have a hoist.

Dave
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 09:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car 1: 90 Legend LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoye2 View Post
I strongly recommend cleaning your negative terminal/connector(s) MrSmith... from the battery, mid-point (under the battery tray), all the way to the engine block.

How do I do that? I keep the battery term clean. But to the fire wall. how do I get under all that gift wrapped tape to make sure theres no corrosion?

Or did you mean just the connectors. (silly me) I feel dumb. well probably even dummer, Im still typing. anywho. i disconnect the battery so often that it doesnt have a chance to corrode.
Old 05-10-07, 01:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Mabuhay...

Car 1: '89 Sedan w/Auto (base model)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Just them connectors MrSmith ...and if I'm not mistaken, there is a DIY for this particular topic, I beleive it's KAHruzer that did it!

Quote:
Judge Judy to prostitute: So when did you realize you were raped?!?
Prostitute wiping away tears: When the cheque bounced!?!
Tony (BDAZZGI) auto repair shop!
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 07:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Car 1: Black Acura Legend 1990 LS

Okay okay, I thought it would be kinda comical... But theres nothing funny about fires (especially if its my only mode of transportation) I was just curious as to why this would happen. Its NOT me, because i remember the car coming like that. The alt sense fuse missing and would blow when I hooked it in. I bet its from some kind of rigging the guy did who had it before me. But the messed up part is this. Its always been missing that fuse, after it was sitting for a couple years, it ran fine with electrics, only recently did the battery light come on and stay on, (it would go off when it first started coming on.) and only after 4 - 5 weeks of battery light staying on did it finally cut out on me. Just weird.... I am so into cars, (well i wanna be) but I know nothing about them. I am a computer guy, any computer problems, I can fix but cars... man, what fun it is to be new! Thanks for ur help fellarz
stephenlittleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 07:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
489,000 km's stil going

Car 1: 90 Legend V6L
Car 2: 93 Indy P/C Camaro
Car 3: 83 Trans AM

I'll keep u in mind when my computer has problems... any tips to improve P to P download speeds?
TO90LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 06:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Ridin' Stock son

Car 1: 1987 Acura Legend L Sedan

Send a message via AIM to kitchwatembo
I've also had the same battery light problem since getting a new alternator
its nice to know other people have a similar problem and that its not some short in a hard to reach place.
ive been having the battery light problem for more than half a year now and am about to give it the black tape treatment

unblock ports it could be using to download LEGAL software faster lol

kitchwatembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 11:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pimpin since '84

Car 1: 89 Legend

Well Ive had the battery light on for almost a year now and my alt. hasnt died yet, But just in case I got a spare in the trunk. Now this is weird it cuts on and off sometimes and some times it doesnt light up at all, but eventually it does, idk what the hecks wrong with it, So urs might just be something else besides the alt. like mine...

soon: tune up airride suspension, bodykit, New windshield, Remove all interior repair leaks. Rims 20's?, system amps subs etc... iggee covers, new carpet, rewraped/painted interior, new paint.
Young A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 02:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ridin' Stock son

Car 1: 1987 Acura Legend L Sedan

Send a message via AIM to kitchwatembo
wow young you just described exactly what mine is doing,

if you ever figure it out you call me right up lol

kitchwatembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 04:11 PM   #27 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend Coupe (:

Send a message via AIM to MobilizeTerror
well reading this thread explains why the brake light in my van was on ):

my alternator died in the middle of a big intersection, right at a stop light ..couldn't move the van! We were going to push it out of the way so people could at least get by ..but the it started raining and hailing. ):

it turned out to be a bad alternator. ): that sucked.
MobilizeTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 04:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
489,000 km's stil going

Car 1: 90 Legend V6L
Car 2: 93 Indy P/C Camaro
Car 3: 83 Trans AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young A.D. View Post
Well Ive had the battery light on for almost a year now and my alt. hasnt died yet, But just in case I got a spare in the trunk. Now this is weird it cuts on and off sometimes and some times it doesnt light up at all, but eventually it does, idk what the hecks wrong with it, So urs might just be something else besides the alt. like mine...
What voltage does your alternator put out?

A funny thing happened to the G-friends Honda. There was a slow drain for a long time, recently the drain got worse - 5 Amps. I pulled every fuse trying to find the circut with the short (drain). So I asked her to unhook the neg terminal when she parked for long periods of time).

So the next day the red light came on. I was worried that the car would die on her so told her to get home ASAP so I can check it out. The Alternator was now putting out 18 volts. It caused the red light to come on but the car did not die. So my short was between the alternator ant the battery (through the built in voltage regulator which had failed and caused the short most likely through a bad diode). That is not fused by any fuse in the fuse boxes thats why I couldnt find it.

So the red light can also mean an overvoltage....
TO90LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)