Center Console Lid - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-05, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

Car 1: 1987 Legend LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Center Console Lid

Well, I used the center console armrest to leverage myself to pick up something from the passenger floor and ended up ripping the console lid hinge about half way. Bad move.

Anyone know of a hinge fix?
Advertisement

Old 01-29-05, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Heres what digger89L did which I think is a great idea! He simply used the hinge off of a VHS tape box...(again--I take no credit for this I'm just passing along the info)

You could also just go out to a hardware store and buy some generic hignes...its up to you dude but its a pretty easy fix...
Old 01-29-05, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 88 Legend Sedan

Send a message via ICQ to Mad_Martigan
My hinge is completely broken. I actually prefer it this way, because I can now take the lid completely off. Though, not only the hinge is broken, but also the little arm, and the hole where the arm goes into...

I had some pictures of it, but they've since disappeared.

Last edited by Mad_Martigan; 01-29-05 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typeos :)
Mad_Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

The tape box thing looks like it works well. But, I was hoping to get back to more original without having to replace the whole thing.

I wasn't sure if the hinge was even something which could be taken apart to replace.
Old 01-29-05, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 & 1990 LS COUPES, 1991 RED CHEVY S-10 BLAZER SPORT

You can remove the top from the hinge mechanism...then remove the hinge mechanism from the center console. This involves removing the back half of your center console. The hinge is held in by screws from underneath. Find a used hinge mechanism from a junk yard and attach your top to that.

'90 Granada Black Pearl LS Coupe, 302K miles
'89 Geneva Green Pearl LS Coupe, 142K miles

My 1989 & 1990 Legend LS Coupes
ND1980LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-05, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

Thanks ND, that'd be the ticket.

My salvage yard list is getting longer.
Old 01-29-05, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Sedan L. and 1990 Sedan LS
Car 2: 1991 Sedan L

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Hey, don't write-off the "home-made" hinge from the VHS tape box!! It's worked well for me for about 5 years now ...even down to minus 35 degree weather!!! I tried all other options (no hinges at salvage yards ..if they have them, they're broken too ...or you need to buy the whole console setup ...or they're the wrong color ..etc. etc.) before I had the VHS tape box hinge brainstorm. The photo doesn't quite do the job justice (I was trying to show the cup-holder) ...but it's quick, easy, and not to mention "cost effective" ..ie REAL CHEAP. I'd dare to say this will be the least expensive Acura Legend repair you may ever make!!!
1990 Cobalt Blue Pearl Sedan LS w/JSP-92104 spoiler, Bose Stereo w/single cd player, plus FM Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Automatic, 268,000 kms, original drivetrain, stock size tires. 1989 Ebony Black Metallic Sedan L Auto. Integra AM-FM cassette head unit, and Honda 6-disc changer in glove box. Stock size tires. Original engine threw a connecting rod mid-Feb, 2007 at 380,000 kms. JDM swap-out July 1, 2008. Car still off the road pending serious body work on rear quarter panels.
digger89L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-05, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Sedan 104K mi.

digger that is the best fix I have heard about in a long time. This should be a sticky in the DIY. My cover is held on by a cloth strap and I will definately swap it out for a VHS cover hinge.

Thanks!
biyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-06, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Holla at Ya Boy

Car 1: Acura Legend Coupe LS 1990
Car 2: Legend 1993 LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Hi Digger, Where did you find that cupholder? That's a great idea. I've always wanted a cupholder in my car, since they did not supply one for the G1 legends.
EarlThePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-06, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

The cup holder shown in the picture is from a mid 80's to mid 90's Chev-Olds-Pontiacs. They had this flip-out cup holder in the front center console-armrest. You can trim off those clips that hang down into the console ...and it is held on by the one small screw indicated by the red arrow. There are two types of these flip-out cup holders: some have longer "arms" than others. Try to get the ones with the longer arms. It might be a tough find, but wrecker might still have them. BONUS: you can also hang one off the back of the console, to provide a single cup holder for rear passengers. OR ....there's a 2-cup flip-out collapsible holder in some later model Oldsmobiles ..I was able to hang one of those off the back of the console to provide a double cup holder for back seat passengers!!
Old 10-25-07, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Legend L Sedan

Hey everyone,

I had to bring this thread back to life!

I have 2 questions:

- Is there anywhere I can get a reasonably priced console armrest replacement? My junkyard had broken/gross/missing ones.

-Where can I get a plastic VHS tape box? I haven't had one of those in 15+ years. Haha

-Anyone else have any solutions for my broken armrest console cover?

Thanks,
Carson
Old 10-25-07, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 1987 Legend L Coupe
Car 3: 93 Dodge Dakota LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to awelliott
What color? Leather or cloth?
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Go to the hinges section of Home Depot...they GOTTA have something
Old 10-25-07, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well, actually I searched EVERYWHERE for a suitable replacement hinge ...and the VHS tape box was the absolute best option. The only other remotely close option would be a "piano hinge" ...they can bought at Home Depot, etc. and cut to any length required. I looked at this, but decided it was too "wood working shop" looking. PM me, and I'll mail a tape box hinge to you ...no charge.
Old 10-25-07, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

I seriously doubt Home Depot has anything which would work in the hardware department.

The lid hinge is a very proprietary construction.

I managed to repair mine by disassembling the entire console and using several layers of packing tape, along with some perpendicular reinforcing on the backsides. Works pretty well, but I have to admit, I wonder how it's going to do through the winter months and over time. May have to redo it again sometime.

I'm thinking the VHS tape thing may be the best solution. However, think I'd try to find a way to integrate it with the existing hinge rather than surface applied. Was also considering some real good caulking which is strong but flexible to weld the ripped joint. Cleanly appied in a mild bead to both faces, it could work.

Also discovered one reality others should be aware. The Console is intended to be removed from the car in ONE piece, then seperated into two halves. Any other attempt breaks stuff. IOW, you can't just remove the back half.

Leave the screws on the lower sides of the console near the mid joint in place when removing the entire console.

Also, grease the spring clips on the bottom side of the flat piece around the shifter when reinstalling. Chances are, they have rusted (spilled drinks, etc) and makes them hard to remove the piece. It's designed to slide backwards about a 1/2" (to clear the vertical part of dash), then come striaght up.
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)