coolant/radiator overflow problem?? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-07, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
coolant/radiator overflow problem??

i drove about 4 miles and then stopped. when i got out of my car there was a large pool of coolant gathering under it. i popped the hood and the coolant reservoir was really hot and steaming/overflowing. the coolant level read at above max even though it was not earlier. i was driving it home but after 2 miles the temp gauge went into red it started to steam again and basically boil the coolant in the reservoir. after it cooled down the coolant measured at below minimum. i opened the radiator and poured some water in and it took a lot to fill it up! i idled the car and the temp gauge was in the middle. i then drove the rest of the way home at 20mph and it was managing but barely under the red on the gauge. however when i got home it was once again overflowing the reservoir.

i took it to a mechanic and he said that it needs a new thermo and has a bad radiator cap?

i have been reading and people have suggested anything from a coolant flush to a new water pump 0_o

does anyone have any ideas?

much thanks,
john
johnnyoc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-07, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 1987 Legend L Coupe
Car 3: 93 Dodge Dakota LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to awelliott
I would be inclined to believe your mechanic. His diagnosis fits the description of your problem, plus he's offering you the least expensive alternative; which I consider to be a good sign of an honest mechanic. It would probably be a good idea to back flush the system while you're at it. Good luck....
awelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
because i can.

Car 1: '87L, 5 speed Sedan
Car 2: '71 Datsun PL521
Car 3: '03 Infiniti I35

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sam o nela
Yup...do the Thermo and the Radiator cap and see how that helps...be sure and properly bleed the whole system too!

Good luck!
Old 05-25-07, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mabuhay...

Car 1: '89 Sedan w/Auto (base model)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyoc3
i took it to a mechanic and he said that it needs a new thermo and has a bad radiator cap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by awelliott
I would be inclined to believe your mechanic. His diagnosis fits the description of your problem, plus he's offering you the least expensive alternative; which I consider to be a good sign of an honest mechanic. It would probably be a good idea to back flush the system while you're at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam o nela
Yup...do the Thermo and the Radiator cap and see how that helps...be sure and properly bleed the whole system too!
Very honest mechanic John and I agree with elliott and sam o nela... with summer season just around the corner, I'd personally do some extra steps in further addressing your overheating issue(s) and also recommend a full service on the engine cooling system.

Quote:
Judge Judy to prostitute: So when did you realize you were raped?!?
Prostitute wiping away tears: When the cheque bounced!?!
Tony (BDAZZGI) auto repair shop!
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Acura Legend 2 Dr L
Car 2: 1999 Mustang V6

I hope the thermostat and radiator cap helps.

I've never had a thermostat stuck closed but I guess it happens.

You should replace the above parts, flush the cooling system, and see what happens.

Could also be a bad hose.

Don't want to be pessimistic, but the coolant being forced into the overflow bottle sounds more like combustion gases going into the coolant. If you can't find another cause have them check for that.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mo*or Mo**h

Car 1: 1987 Legend LS Coupe

You can't fill a Legend cooling system without bleeding it, so you never actually got it filled completely. Given that, it will overheat every time.

First thing to do is make sure it's full of fluid and see if it continues to overheat. The bleed valve is just left of the thermostat housing. Open it up and let it flow until it's clear of bubbles, then continue to fill rad until full.

You can tell if the thermostat is opening by the flow. Also, check relative temps of upper and lower rad hoses (carefully with your hand) They should be similar, not too different temps.

Once full, fill the overflow bottle to the line and close the system up.

It should stay cool then. If not, verify the thermostat is opening.
Old 05-26-07, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Replace radiator cap. Your system is not pressurizing properly.
legendvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for all the responses!

i went ahead and had my mechanic replace the thermo and cap. he said that the cap was letting the coolant leak out into the overflow b/c it didnt make a good seal and since the thermo wasnt worknig it was pushing the liquid up into the reservoir.

. i also had him check my belts and engine blocks brakes ect and they all checked out fine so thats good

i got it back today and im gunna take it around to make sure its fixed

thanks for the reassurance that it was the right thing to do!
johnnyoc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Acura Legend 2 Dr L
Car 2: 1999 Mustang V6

[QUOTE=johnnyoc3;1058634]thanks for all the responses!

i went ahead and had my mechanic replace the thermo and cap. he said that the cap was letting the coolant leak out into the overflow b/c it didnt make a good seal and since the thermo wasnt worknig it was pushing the liquid up into the reservoir.

It's good to see that it worked out OK. Probably there was air in the system which expands when hot and that was forcing coolant into the overflow bottle.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 88 legend

im pretty new to cars and especially my legend (but i <3 it ) but how do you bleed the car and wahts a thermostat exactly? thanks (and excuse my n00bness)
pismomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)