ENGINE TICKING (LIFTERS) WHAT WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-06, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ENGINE TICKING (LIFTERS) WHAT WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN?

Hey Guys,

Well I just bought a 1990 Acura legend sedan. I love it except for the fact that it sounds horrible! The engine ticks horribly bad!

I have read several threads on lifters, which I am sure it is, and I have gotten some ideas as to what I can do to try fix it up.

I just changed the oil (put in Penzoil 10-30) with an OEM filter, and a bottle of CD-2 (yellow bottle). The oil that was in the car was EXTREMELY bad, I couldn't believe it. It was black, and very sludgey. So what I am thinking is to take it for a good drive (1hr + on the highway) and then change the oil out again while the engine is nice and hot.

I have another jug of 10-30 at home along with a filter, so I will likely use this, and I might get either a bottle of engine restore or cd-2 again. The CD-2 is about 1/4 of the cost of the restore, so I will likely go that route.

I guess what I am concerned with is what will eventually happen if the ticking doesn't improve?? Will the engine eventually blow up? what kind of timeline is there? Or will it just continue to make the annoying noise and run for a long time still?

The reason I ask is mainly due to the fact that I don't have alot of money to dump into the car, and if it is going to be a big headache then I may be better off selling it right away and trying to find something else. Having said that, other than this problem the car is grand! It has 4 new tires, all FOUR belts were just replaced, and it is in overall very nice shape!

Please provide your input and opinions.. I know this is somewhat a repeat thread, but any help on the specific questions would be great!!

Thanks alot guys!

TaylerT
TaylerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-06, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Battle! Champion, Big Uglies Champion

Car 1: '87 CA5 turbo
Car 2: '90 KA4 beast

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murderotica
This is an extremely common issue with this car.
No, your engine will not blow up.
The only thing that will happen is your lifters will continue to tick.
Nothing else will come as a result of it.
Old 10-19-06, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
-------------------------

Car 1: '89 LS Coupe (5 speed)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to pacallen
Also try 5W-30 instead of 10-.

SOLD: '87 Auto Sedan (12/31/2003)
pacallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-06, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was told to use 10-30 instead of 5-30... is this true??
Old 10-19-06, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Metro Legends™

Car 1: 90L Colbolt Blue RIP
Car 2: 90LS Melbourne Blue
Car 3: Both are sedans^

Send a message via AIM to BubzBeats Send a message via Yahoo to BubzBeats
i use 5 30 and it tool my tick away. it comes back wen i need to change it
Old 10-20-06, 01:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 Melbourne Blue Honda Legend
Car 2: 1989 Honda Legend
Car 3: 1989 Turbo Legend

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 89HondaLegend
Take your front and rear valve covers off, also remove the top of the front valve cover and clean or replace the PCV valve and the hose going to the front valve cover. You should also try SeaFoam through the brake booster hose and crankcase. I would find any products which claim to stop ticking and just dump them in and change the oil regularly.

EDIT: AutoRx is used to put in the oil and has produced a lot of good results from what I hear.

Thanks Body9599, my mistake.

Love to Love the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarettcancerman
a legend is a good car but its not imortal when exposed to some one who puts blue windshield wipers and a racing stripe on it.
1989 Honda Legend Melbourne Blue - 203 000 Miles
1991 Honda Legend Maroon - 230 000 Miles

Pictures of My Legend

Last edited by 89HondaLegend; 10-20-06 at 10:05 PM.
89HondaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Legend LS Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89HondaLegend
You should also try Auto RX through the brake booster hose and crankcase. I would find any products which claim to stop ticking and just dump them in and change the oil regularly.
check that...I think you mean SeaFoam. AutoRX is a oil additive only...should not be used in the intake/vaccuum hoses.

1990 LS coupe - 5 speed - 160,000 miles
ram CAI - grounding wires - B&M FPR and gauge
D/S rotors - ceramic pads - SS brake lines - driving lights
alpine HU - infinity components - profile 4ch amp
"My other love is a Ford Bronco"
body9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 03:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Battle! Champion, Big Uglies Champion

Car 1: '87 CA5 turbo
Car 2: '90 KA4 beast

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murderotica
Quote:
Originally Posted by body9599
check that...I think you mean SeaFoam. AutoRX is a oil additive only...should not be used in the intake/vaccuum hoses.
No, I think he meant both... If I recall right, several people on here have used AutoRX... Maybe it was something else, I can't quite recall the name.

I've heard Seafoam to produce negative effects though... =/

The lifter tick really isn't harmful, you shouldn't be too worried about it.
Old 10-20-06, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok, well that makes me feel better..

I thought that my car was going to be toast, or need a new engine...

I will try some CD-2 and change the oil a little more often. I could tell the 1st time I changed oil that it had been neglected a bit... The oil in there was horrible... It will probably take several oil changes before I see some improvement.

I am glad that my Legend will be OK!

TaylerT
Old 03-15-11, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Acura Legend L Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylerT View Post
Hey Guys,

Well I just bought a 1990 Acura legend sedan. I love it except for the fact that it sounds horrible! The engine ticks horribly bad!

I have read several threads on lifters, which I am sure it is, and I have gotten some ideas as to what I can do to try fix it up.

I just changed the oil (put in Penzoil 10-30) with an OEM filter, and a bottle of CD-2 (yellow bottle). The oil that was in the car was EXTREMELY bad, I couldn't believe it. It was black, and very sludgey. So what I am thinking is to take it for a good drive (1hr + on the highway) and then change the oil out again while the engine is nice and hot.

I have another jug of 10-30 at home along with a filter, so I will likely use this, and I might get either a bottle of engine restore or cd-2 again. The CD-2 is about 1/4 of the cost of the restore, so I will likely go that route.

I guess what I am concerned with is what will eventually happen if the ticking doesn't improve?? Will the engine eventually blow up? what kind of timeline is there? Or will it just continue to make the annoying noise and run for a long time still?

The reason I ask is mainly due to the fact that I don't have alot of money to dump into the car, and if it is going to be a big headache then I may be better off selling it right away and trying to find something else. Having said that, other than this problem the car is grand! It has 4 new tires, all FOUR belts were just replaced, and it is in overall very nice shape!

Please provide your input and opinions.. I know this is somewhat a repeat thread, but any help on the specific questions would be great!!

Thanks alot guys!

TaylerT
The lifter in my car use to make a lot of ticking sounds also but I think it was because of the litters not getting bled. One day I noticed the valve cover gaskets were going bad so I replaced them then the ticking stopped once it got warmed up. Then I noticed my oil pan gasket was also bad so I replaced it ever since then it has stopped ticking. So I think what was wrong was that there was air escaping out of the bad gaskets and nor letting the litters bleed properly. So I would suggest looking for bad gaskets and replacing them and then doing and oil change with straight 10w 30 oils with nothing else added to it. I'm not sure if this will work for you but it did for me.
Cody D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 02:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
GI Joe Scuba Sweep Champion

Car 1: 90 LS Coupe 5speed

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
I just replaced all my lifters. Sounds great now. Pricey tho.

Ophidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 89 Sedan L 5spd 307k
Car 2: 90 Sedan L Auto 150k
Car 3: SVO

I suggest the slow and gradual approach. Instead of tying to quick fix it with various additives, just use a high detergent oil like Rotella T6 and let that gradually clean it out over many oil changes.

How bad is your ticking? Does it do it all the time or does the ticking lessen when the engine gets up to operating temperature?

Kennon
JKLedbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)