Leaking Coolant - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-08, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 88 acura legend 225K

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Leaking Coolant

So I changed the radiator because it was leaking, but now there is another leak. It is coming from somewhere between the tranny and oil pan. Any ideas what this may be or what I should check.

Last edited by tylerdelorenzo; 04-13-08 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
tylerdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-08, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

There are a lot of hoses carrying coolant around these engines and there are a lot of places for coolant to leak.

Are you sure it isn't left splash over coolant from taking off the radiator hoses during your radiator replacement?

A pressure test is probably the only way you're going to find the source of the leak.

Rule of thumb: If it's coming from a busted hose, change ALL the hoses. It's better to dick with them once. Unlss you like to replace hoses one at a time over the course of a year or two.
paulo57509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 04:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
I agree, replace all the hoses. Once you replace 1, next one will bust itself up and you need to remove it. But I hope you find the leak. Hopefully its just left over coolant.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 05:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 legend

Smile finding leaks

Oh the joy!

Coolant leaks, but mostly when the engine is warm and the coolant system is pressurized.

So you tighten a few things, now maybe the leak is fixed, don't know till the car is heated up again and the system pressurizes once more. Oh fun, it's still leaking, well now the engine and exhaust are hot and you're trying to see where the leak is, hmm, what's that burning smell, oops it's my knee brushing against the exhaust while grubbing about underneath, repeat as needed, oh crap...

What fun, here's what I now do...

Schrader valves (tire stems) are available that screw into a pipe thread. All cars have fittings into coolant passages, remove one, adapt the schrader valve with pipe fittings, install it and pressurize the system with a bike pump, the rad cap will relieve excess pressure. When the rad cap relieves a bit the system will be at full pressure and leaks can be dealt with repaired and tested, the car can be stone cold, hurray!

Problem, pipe fittings are sae (standard thread) honda uses metric threads, metric pipe fittings do exist, have fun finding one, maybe legend fittings use gaskets and not pipe threads. I haven't looked. The icing on the cake is that some sae and metric pipe threads are practically identical. It's not nice to ruin the threads in a block. easy does it.

So a couple solutions,
modify a spare coolant bleeder valve, boy that'd be a useful honda tool, make one for me too if you do!
modify an old coolant temp sensor or similar.

I use an awkward pair of old radiator hoses, both are plugged at one end with a frost plug held in place with a hose clamp, one has a hole in the frost plug and a ordinary tire valve is installed in it. So, I remove the upper rad hose, attach one old plugged hose to the engine side, the other on the rad and I'm in business. I suppose bits of old heater hose could be modified the same way. There are proper tools for this, but then all sorts of adapters are needed as they attach in place of the rad cap, lots of different rad cap sizes out there, and there's some risk of over pressurizing perhaps, I figure it's easier to cobble one up out of junk on hand. If you 'inflate' slowly the radiator cap will limit the pressure appropriately. No shop air please. Once made it's a very useful tool. Saves lots of time, fuel, and burns.

happy hunting.

two more thoughts,
a loose rad cap means the system won't pressurize and the coolant will mostly stay put till you get home

stop leak works well, but not for bad hoses, pumps, or loose clamps.

cheers, Jay

BTW ever notice that leaks are inversely proportional to coolant age?
Jay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mabuhay...

Car 1: '89 Sedan w/Auto (base model)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Most likely source is from the coolant passage way up top; loose feed/return rad hose (as previously stated), bleed valve, T-Stat housing cover or even improper install of the T-Stat gasket/o-ring.

Question to you Tyler, was the new leak pre-existence?!?

Quote:
Judge Judy to prostitute: So when did you realize you were raped?!?
Prostitute wiping away tears: When the cheque bounced!?!
Tony (BDAZZGI) auto repair shop!
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-08, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Found It

Thanks for all the help. All I needed was a little light and I could see the coolant shooting from an oil cooling line. I ordered the hose but in the mean time I used a fuel line. It seems to be holding. The car seams to run a little warmer than normal but I think If I bleed it correctly it will fix this problem.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!
I have another issue with it smoking ill post a seperate thread, I think this may be more serious than a $4 hose.
Old 04-15-08, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mabuhay...

Car 1: '89 Sedan w/Auto (base model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdelorenzo View Post
coolant is shooting from an oil cooling line.
I'm glad to hear you got this issue resolved Tyler

Quote:
Judge Judy to prostitute: So when did you realize you were raped?!?
Prostitute wiping away tears: When the cheque bounced!?!
Tony (BDAZZGI) auto repair shop!
pnoye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Boy were you guys right. It blew another coolant return line. If I didnt know to loosen the radiator cap I would have been screwed. thanks!!!
Old 04-18-08, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
3 Card Poker Champion, Caribbean Stud Poker Champion

hope the OP doesnt mind but, i have a problem myself and dont want to litter the forum with an extra thread for a question

i drove home from work and when i parked i opened the hood and i smelled coolant ( nothing like the smell of hot coolant to make you wanna )

just added some in my reserve a few days ago cause it was bone dry.... it had some a few days before when i checked it

the mix turned out to be more like 60/40 leaning toward coolant went just alitte over max level but not by much, i didnt smell any coolant before the add and when i checked the level today it was at just under minimum

so far i have no over heating issues ( and dont remember ever having any for as long as ive owned the car ) so im wondering is it possible for me to just have a leak somewhere near the reserve tank and the leak is why i smell it or is a leak in the reserve a huge issue? ( i didnt see any leaking out after i added the coolant and havent noticed any after a drive )

ive also got smoke but i cant tell where its coming from only that its coming from the front of the engine bay what looks like from under the engine itself ( but it is oily down there from when my seals were bad i tcleaned it up the best i could but im no professional cleaner ) its not alot of smoke just light puffs so i dont know if thats a symptom or just a side effect of 20 years.

edit: and the level in the radiator itself stays constant and seems fine

Last edited by Acidic; 04-18-08 at 06:38 PM.
Acidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Acura Legend 2 Dr L
Car 2: 1999 Mustang V6

So yes replace all the small coolant hoses. For the ones up near the throttle body, it will help greatly to remove the air filter box/air tube and throttle body.

Another thing to check is an aluminum plug on the block under the exhaust manifold. It's held in by two small bolts and sealed by an o-ring. It would be a good idea to replace the o-ring in it, but be careful removing it. I broke off one of the ears and had to get a new part.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidic View Post
hope the OP doesnt mind but, i have a problem myself and dont want to litter the forum with an extra thread for a question

i drove home from work and when i parked i opened the hood and i smelled coolant ( nothing like the smell of hot coolant to make you wanna )

just added some in my reserve a few days ago cause it was bone dry.... it had some a few days before when i checked it

the mix turned out to be more like 60/40 leaning toward coolant went just alitte over max level but not by much, i didnt smell any coolant before the add and when i checked the level today it was at just under minimum

so far i have no over heating issues ( and dont remember ever having any for as long as ive owned the car ) so im wondering is it possible for me to just have a leak somewhere near the reserve tank and the leak is why i smell it or is a leak in the reserve a huge issue? ( i didnt see any leaking out after i added the coolant and havent noticed any after a drive )

ive also got smoke but i cant tell where its coming from only that its coming from the front of the engine bay what looks like from under the engine itself ( but it is oily down there from when my seals were bad i tcleaned it up the best i could but im no professional cleaner ) its not alot of smoke just light puffs so i dont know if thats a symptom or just a side effect of 20 years.

Sounds like your getting a slight leak. You might as well change all the hoses where the coolant travels. Also theres one behind the motor on the passenger side. How old is your radiator?

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
Old 05-02-08, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
3 Card Poker Champion, Caribbean Stud Poker Champion

the radiator is atleast 11 years i believe ( was a bad legend owner before i relized just how much i loved the car ) but i dont remember ever having changed it...

i do think now that its as simple as a crack or hole in my OF res. so im looking to replace that now..... cause the needle stays dead center after warming up..... my fans come on everything seems to be operating fine but that drip from the passenger side is the only sign somethings not right.
( checked the hoses and they seem fine )

does any G1 OF tank fit for the 88 or since i have the bastard child year do i have to find an 86-7 or 89-90? cause the ones on ebay look differant for the 90 ( could be angle of picture )

hopefully a new one will fix the issue..... listening to a 20 year old engine parinoid of every sound is exhausting.
Acidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-09, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
xX_0utAC0ntr0l_Xx

Car 1: 92 Legend COupe
Car 2: 88 Honda civic 4dr

Send a message via AIM to MiZz_BlaZe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidic View Post

So im having this same problem.. i recently had a leak but it came from my overflow cap.. or some cap.. replaced it ... then about a week later....my car was parked and looked like my car peeed all over ... basically it was full when i left ...drove 30 miles to work and then the huge puddle after it settled for a while....... dont know to much about this but cant seem to find the leak .. i was wondering .. b4 i can explain further where its coming from.. i was wondering if theres some type of diagram where it shows basically, where all the hoses are for the anti freeze.... it seem to be leaking some where under my front bumper... but then again .. i have an oil leak and no one can seem to find it... Ught help m,e
Old 04-13-09, 10:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!

You might want to check your radiator. Make sure there isn't anything cracked, especially at the bottom, or maybe you didn't tighten the cork at the bottom of the radiator.

Old 04-13-09, 11:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Leaving the lights on

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend L Automatic

You might as well change the tstat since you've got the hoses off and the coolant drained. If your car is nearing a 90,000 mile interval (90K, 180K, 270K etc.) you may just wanna do the TB/WP at that same time to save yourself another drain/fill.

You guys make pressurization so complicated... I just squeeze the hoses.
Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Goatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)