Overheating, radiator fans not working. HELP!!! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-09, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1990 Acura Legend L, 4 door sedan, automatic v6

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Overheating, radiator fans not working. HELP!!!

Here's the dealeo. I just picked up my first car. I bought it off the used car lot. It's a 1990 Acura Legend L 4-door v6 sedan. I test drove it at the lot, and everything seemed to be fine. But it was raining, and I was driving home, and not even a few miles from the lot, smoke (well, it turned out to be steam from the reservoir) started billowing out from under the hood and the temperature gauge was in the red in a matter of seconds. So, I flipped on my hazards, and called my parents up to bring me some water. I emptied a 2-liter bottle of water into it and still had room for almost another full bottle. I started driving again, and the temperature gauge sky-rocketed again after several seconds. I finally got it home, let it cool down, and then opened the radiator cap to fill it with water, but it was full. (Oh, and when it overheats, the reservoir has boiling water in it.) So, I then let it run idle, and sure enough, not even 3 minutes later, it was overheating again. So I turned it off, and started looking things up on the internet. I then found a few things about checking the radiator fans. So, I go back out and turn it on. The needle started rising, and the fans never came on. (Another note, I felt the upper radiator hose, and it was kind of hot and it was squishy, which I am told it is supposed to be hard...) I then came back in and looked up some more information, and there are a few things: is it the relay switch, thermostat, or fan motors? Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the cause and how did you fix it? Please help!
hollywoodstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-09, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ac's in tha Hood

Car 1: 89 legend base coupe 5 spd
Car 2: 90 legend L coupe

Send a message via Yahoo to reddLegend
start at the fan relay. no radiator hose should ever be hard. also, driving an overheating car can be devastating (i'm sure you don't want to buy an engine). turning the heat on full blast can help an overheating engine.
"Do it for the strong, we do it for the weak, Boom it in your boom it in your boom it in your Jeep. Or your Honda or your Beemer or your Legend or your Benz. The rave of the town tell your foes and your friends"
A Tribe Called Quest - Jazz (We Got) - 1991
reddLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Five- O

Car 1: 88 L Coupe 5 Speed

a similar thing happened to me but not that drastic. I noticed that the car was running hotter then normal. After looking around I noticed that the fans were not turning on. I checked the fuses and found a blown one. Changed the fuse and it been fine for the last 8 years.

Good luck
Esti
Stromung exhuast Cat-Back
DEC Hi-Flow Cat
90 tail Lights
Cross drilled rotors
Eibach Springs/KYB Shocks
APC Sway Bar
Esti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)