Thermostat Location - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-12, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thermostat Location

I think I have a slow acting T-Stat or its simply inop. I had an overheat problem the other night while the engine was at an idle. The fans work fine. When I started the car up again I drove it about 2 miles. The upper hose was hot while the lower hose was unusually cool. This is why Im suspecting the T-Stat... Does the T-Stat come off the upper or lower radiator hose? Im having a hard time locating the T-Stat housing.. Anyone have a picture or a diagram that shows the T-Stat location?

TIA
1st Gen Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-12, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Follow the lower radiator hose, which you'll need to remove the air box to get to it. But, yes, it does sound like you have a failing T-stat.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

T-Stat

swapped in a new thermostat abd a new radiator cap. Car seems to be running very well at this point. Regarding the idle issue, I think maybe the radiator cap was letting letting coolant out into the overflow bottle and dumping coolant. If that was the case, it would suck air into the system which can cause an eratic idle fromwhat Ive been reading. I started the car cold today and drove it around town as well as let it idle for 20-30 minutes and it didnt boil over not did it have the idle issues I had been experiencing. I will turn the car over to my son tomorrow and let him use it as he normally would and report back on the idle issues. I hope I got the idle sorted out once and for all.
Old 11-23-12, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Did you bleed the system also? It's also a good idea to get all the air out of the system, but it sounds like you have done so since the car hasn't overheated. Hopefully your son will have a final result on it.

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
Old 11-23-12, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, I bled the system using the little bleeder valve near the T-stat/hoses area. With the heat on, blower off, I filled the system until the bleeder had coolant flow. Then I let the car run until the T-Stat opened adding more coolant. Finally, I put the new cap on and filled the overflow bottle to the cold line.

Thank you for your assistance on my issues BTW. Im an older guy and have had many cars and trucks, mostly being American made. Im not completely familiar with Japanese brands and their systems. I have had several BMW's though, and learned allot about those during my ownership with them. I had a 1985 635csi, a 01 525i, an 03 745Li and currently have a 98 740il. I also have a 93 Z28 and a 2002 Corvette Z06.

Last edited by 1st Gen Legend; 11-23-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-23-12, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

A Few Pics of My Cars

93 Z28

85 635 CSI

98 740il

03 745Li

02 Z06

92 ZR-1

Last edited by 1st Gen Legend; 11-23-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!

Wow, you had quite a car collection there. i especially love the 92' ZR1 and 93' Z28.

Old 11-25-12, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks man.... thats only a sample of the 75+ cars/trucks Ive owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)