White exhaust smoke? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-09, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
White exhaust smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Seek3r View Post
Hey everyone, Im new to this forum as well as a new Acura owner. I just bought a 1990 acura Legend L and I have a couple of concerns. Now I know very little about car mechanics and I know I should have brought someone with some engine knowlege (my brother) but he was out of town. Anyway after I got home I noticed a few issues that really concerned me. For one, white Smoke was steadily coming from my tailpipe.
White smoke usually means that you're burning coolant. A blown head gasket is one reason for the white smoke - not a cheap fix if that's the case

Well my coolant level is fine. My car doesnt overheat or anything.

my car has developed the same issue after a few months of driving. never overheats but puffs out white smoke. if sitting at a traffic light or in a drive through the smoke builds up and really lets loose on take off. i've accounted this to a leaking head gasket. not 100% sure thats the problem but im still driving.

White "smoke" is common on a cold motor in a cool climate when first started. This is simply condensation. However, once the engine iw warm the white smoke will go away. White smoke can be caused by ATF in the mixture or coolant getting into the combustion chamber.

Light blue smoke is common after sitting at a stop light or when first starting the motor. This is genarally caused by oil going past the valve guide seals.

You should be able to find a shop with an exhaust gas analyzer. They pull the radiator cap and stick the probe just above the coolant to sniff for hydrocarbons, a sign of a leaking head gasket.

I'll take blue over white any day.

Dave

as already said it's burning coolant 99% chance your head gasket blew.
Have a look in your radiator if you find brown greenish fluid or build up of slime with a brown green color that also a big indicator of a blown head gasket.

In Europe do you turn the radiator cap to the left or to the right to remove it?

Dave

My car certainly isn't cold, I live in Southern California where temps reach 112 to 117 degrees on a given day. My coolant level is fine. I also just noticed the oil light on my dash, Yesterday it was flasing all the way to work. When I went home it had stoped but then my battery light turned on for a few seconds. My oil level is ok and it is a dark mollases color, Is that a normal oil color?

Check your charging voltage.

Dave

i have not had a significant amount of oil loss and no coolant loss to date. and only smoked really bad one time. unsure of what is really hppening. at this point ive decided to drive it till it pukes. then proly do a 3.5 swap so i dont have this problem again.

i also just purchased an acura legend a few days ago from an auction. it blows white smoke but drives well and i dont know anything about this car so i need instructions on what steps i need to take next to eliminate probable problems. Thanks alot!

Last edited by L3GDKANG/JDMKANG; 01-13-10 at 10:23 PM.
byalegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)