Acura RL suspension/strut replacement - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-09, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1996 Deep Purple RL

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Acura RL suspension/strut replacement

My 96 RL has become quite bumpy the last several months (160,000 miles on factory struts) and when the weather here in Minnesota warms up, I think I will be replacing the struts all the way around. Previously, there have been posts that indicated that there were no after-market struts available for the RL, but now I am finding two makers of stock replacement struts/shocks.

It appears that Monroe makes a replacement strut for the RL (Sensa-Trac) and KYB also makes the GR-2/Excel-G for the RL. Both can be had for much less that OEM replacements.

My question is of anyone has used either of the struts listed above and which would be better and why. Also, what else should I be replacing with the struts? Is a strut-mate bearing plate the same thing as strut bushings and should those also be replaced? I have no desire to lower the car. I just want the smooth riding RL that I had been accustomed to, one that swallows up all the bumps.

Many thanks for any contributions to this thread.
jeffs3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-09, 07:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have used KYB Gr2 on other cars and they are good quality. They are valved like 10% stiffer than oe struts, or so the website says.
OLD_HATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Car 1: 97 RL Premium w/ NAVI

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs3000 View Post
My 96 RL has become quite bumpy the last several months (160,000 miles on factory struts) and when the weather here in Minnesota warms up, I think I will be replacing the struts all the way around. Previously, there have been posts that indicated that there were no after-market struts available for the RL, but now I am finding two makers of stock replacement struts/shocks.

It appears that Monroe makes a replacement strut for the RL (Sensa-Trac) and KYB also makes the GR-2/Excel-G for the RL. Both can be had for much less that OEM replacements.

My question is of anyone has used either of the struts listed above and which would be better and why. Also, what else should I be replacing with the struts? Is a strut-mate bearing plate the same thing as strut bushings and should those also be replaced? I have no desire to lower the car. I just want the smooth riding RL that I had been accustomed to, one that swallows up all the bumps.

Many thanks for any contributions to this thread.

I guess you have to replace your rear strut springs first. Those springs make your car saggy.

For struts, you can use 91-95 G2 Legend aftermarket parts. The rear struts are direct fit but the front struts need a pair of front strut forks from G2 Legend since the diameter of the front strut body is bigger for G2 Legend than RL.
97_RLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 RL
Car 2: 2006 MDX

Is the coil/spring the same diameter on the 2G Legends as it is on the RL?
Rower4VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: Legend coupe Mk2
Car 2: 97 RL

I'm also looking to do the Springs...

When changing springs would it be wise to change other parts such strut Mount cushions (8) strut lower Bushing & bolt (2 &3) or any other parts shown below??

what would you guys change while its in the shop for springs ??

uk_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Car 1: 97 RL Premium w/ NAVI

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You don't need to change anything but the bumper stops (#12). G2 Legend and G1 RL strut springs are compatible and are same dimension but a slightly different spring rate.
97_RLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks 97_RLer
Old 04-14-09, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

my car has 225,000 on what i believe to be original struts, i'm also considering an overhaul planing on oem route from dealer so it looks like

struts
bump stop
mounts

is there anything else worth getting? the back does sag a little bit, might be worth looking at
ahkdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: '02 Acura RL w/ NAV

i'm planning to replacing both my rear shocks on my '02 RL. my questions is....do i need to take off the rear seats and rear upper speaker shelve to be able to remove the shocks? thanks in advance.
imports_only1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

If she's sagging ahkdet,
Its more likely the coil springs are worn rather than the struts.....
Old 04-23-09, 04:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

say i were to get the KYB or Monroe, and replace saggy springs...

Would the 96-98 Eibach springs fit on a 99-04?
pmendoza502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1996 Deep Purple RL

I ended up finally replacing all 4 shocks in my 96 RL (170,000). I found a good deal on some KYB's on ebay. You do not have to take out the back seat to replace the rear shocks, but you do need to take out the back speakers. I also needed to rent a spring compressor. Two of my shocks were dead (no gas). The car is a little stiff now, but will get smoother over time.
jeffs3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 09:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 RL
Car 2: 2006 MDX

I replaced my '97 springs and struts with low-mile '03 springs/struts. The ride is night and day difference. Easy install since I didn't have to separate the coils and struts. Rear doesn't sag any more and no more Buick-style bobbing and rolling in the corners. '02-'04 1st Gens had a much improved suspension. I swapped the rear anti-roll bar as well...even bigger difference. It's no TL Type-S, but it's much much better. I actually enjoy driving it now. Just another option....
Rower4VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)