Dashboard Light Bulb Replacement - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-07, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1998 Acura 3.5 RL Premium

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Dashboard Light Bulb Replacement

I did a search of the forums, but couldn't find anything that will help me here- I want to replace a light bulb that is burnt out in the cabin heat control knob in the center cluster. What's more, I think the burnt out filament if rolling around in there, creating a hell of a racket whenever I go over bumps, so I am willing to put some work into getting at that light.

All I have is a basic screwdriver & socket set, but I'm hoping that's going to be enough.

My questions:
1) Has anyone done this before? Changing a center cluster light? Is it difficult?

2) Does anyone know what kind of light bulb I'll need?

Thanks for any feedback you guys might have!
magnusvermagnussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-07, 04:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
flip***

Car 1: 92 Acura Legend
Car 2: 98 Acura EL

my best advice, buy Haynes or Chilton repair manual they're available at canadian tire or wal mart for like 10 bucks trust me, you'll need it more than once or twice, its been very helpfull for me good luck
rICEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Already tried that. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart doesn't carry them any more (at least not in London, Ontario), and Crappy Tire doesn't carry any general RL repair guide.

CT does however have a book specific to the RL's A/C, brake and electrical system. The Electrical system book is about the smallest chance I have of any success, but a) They don't have it in stock; and, b) It's $30. I'd rather not pay $30 with only a small probability of success.

I am hoping someone on these boards has encountered this problem before, and might be able to shed some light on this for me.
Old 12-14-07, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 Acura RL
Car 2: 2002 Acura MDX

it's actually a bit tricky to do, you have to to remove the center console and then pull out the plastic cover around the dash just to get to it

Once you take the dash out, you have to remove the electrical board on the back by remove about 10 screws. The board can be easily damaged (i have first hand experience with this, it's not fun) and the screws have to go back in the same place.

There's a couple DIYs floating around for all this, I'll see if I can dig one up.
R.L.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

There was a pdf of the dash removal procedure posted on a website, but it's not there anymore. I have it on my computer though so I can send it to you if you still need it. There should be other DIYs around somewhere as well.

Getting to the gauge cluster isn't too hard, just takes a little while. Taking the circuit board of the cluster is tricky.

http://http://www.acura-legend.com/v...hlight=cluster
About half-way down this thread there's a geocities link with some pics of a cluster (ignore all the custom LED work)

There's actually about 30 screws on circuit board that you need to remove to take the entire board (which is very fragile) off to get to the lights.

Word is that #74 bulbs are the ones you need, and Crappy Tire has them.
Old 12-17-07, 03:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

RL Mike, thanks so much for the heads-up. That's exactly what I was looking for, if not what I wanted to hear. It's beyond me at this point, and if I were to take it into a mech to do, just to replace one burnt out light bulb ... not worth it.

If you have the pics floating around on your computer though, and if they're not to difficult for you to unearth, by all means fire 'em through to me at: chiorny_aryol at hotmail dot com.

I appreciate your feedback!!!
Old 12-17-07, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

ah here are the threads I was looking for...

factory radio

cluster question

They have some pretty good descriptions of the whole process.

magnus, I also sent the manual to your email.

If you do decide to take the cluster apart, remember 2 VERY IMPORTANT things
1 - Make sure every screw on the board goes back in the exact same spot it came out of
2 - Do not overtighten the screws!!
Old 12-20-07, 01:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

R.L. Mike, you've been such a help, I can't even describe.

Thank you.

When I get back home (I'm away for a couple weeks), I'll give it a go. Can't wait to get that rattling taken care of!

Cheers!
Old 12-20-07, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

np... just be careful with the cluster, it's suprisingly easy to damage the board and I don't think that can be easily replaced cause apparently your mileage is stored there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)