DIY: 1st Gen Acura RL Instrument Guage Cluster LED Bulbs - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-08, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My take on step-by-step pictures:

1.Remove the black bezel around the shifter by pulling up.
2.Disconnect the shift indicator light and the two seat heater plugs.
3.From the ashtray, pull straight up on the wood grain panel. Once the back to clips release, pull up on the wood in front of the shifter.
4.Remove the wood panel and set aside.
5.There are 4 10mm bolts holding the radio in. Two are behind the triangle carpeted pieces on the side, and two are behind the ashtray. The two on the side aren’t needed, and I didn’t put mine back in the first time I took the radio out. I don’t have pictures of taking out the side ones.
6.Unbolt the 10mm bolts, and wiggle the bottom of the radio bezel out.
7.Once it is out a few inches, use a wide panel tool to pry above the vents. This step is a bit scary. Just use firm force and don’t break the wood.

8.Unscrew the two Phillips holding the black bezel around the gauge cluster.
9.From the right side, pry/pull the black bezel away from the dash.
10.Disconnect the one green connector for the select/reset buttons.

11.Unscrew the 4 Phillips screw holding the gauge cluster in. There are two on each side.

12.Maneuver the cluster out of the dash. Disconnect the driver’s side green plug first, and then the second, wider green plug.

13.Unscrew three gold screws from the back of the cluster.
14.Use a pick tool to pop off the white cover from the rest of the gauge cluster. This will expose the board and the 20 silver screws you will be unscrewing.

15.Unscrew the 20 screws. I simply set them in order from left to right on my workbench. If you can’t do this, make where each screw goes. It isn’t too hard to remember; they are in a bit of a pattern.
16.Once the 20 screws are out, unplug the two grey connectors. They have yellow wires connected to them.
17.Flip the board up and out of the cluster, being careful of the bulbs on the other side. This exposes the bulbs we are changing.

18.Twist the green bulb holders out of the back of the cluster.
19.Once removed, use pliers to pull each bulb out of its socket.

20.Installation of the new bulbs and cluster is the reverse of the removal. Don’t worry about checking polarity.* Make sure not to over tighten the 20 screws.

*It took me two attempts to get every bulb to work. I wouldn’t worry about checking polarity. Install the bulbs and then plug the cluster back into the car. Turn the ignition on and notate which bulbs operate and which do not. Remove the cluster, and flip each bulb that is not operating. Plug the cluster in again and each bulb should work.

And now for the pictures:

DOHCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-08, 12:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Car 1: 97 RL Premium w/ NAVI

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Congrat on you job, DOHCrazy!!!
Now, you need to put G2 Legend Ksport coilover on your baby.....
97_RLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
MostWanted!

Car 1: 1997 Legend V6 3.5

Send a message via Yahoo to MoJoWerKinG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCrazy View Post
*It took me two attempts to get every bulb to work. I wouldn’t worry about checking polarity. Install the bulbs and then plug the cluster back into the car. Turn the ignition on and notate which bulbs operate and which do not. Remove the cluster, and flip each bulb that is not operating. Plug the cluster in again and each bulb should work.

IM NEXT!

gonna place my order tomorrow and start the work the following week

You're lookin at the only RL in the entire Middle East thats show-quality...and shes mine!

stand up and take notice!
MoJoWerKinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 03:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

im confussed, and i need help with the clock light

97 rler you said that # 24 was wrong and told us to go with # 37, but the seller you bought from sells 24, so how did you install yours, or did i just misunderstand you and I should buy the 24's that warden is selling, thanks. and does anyone know how to replace the clock light on the dash, b/c one im not sure how to get back there and two im not sure what light it uses.
96ka9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car 1: acura 3.5 rl

hey guys i have a 2000 3.5 rl i also want to change my inside dash to blue......hate the whote boring colour.......does anyone know what type or size bulb is in it right now so i can order the blue ones to make my dash looks like DOHCRAZY
michael rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 04:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car 1: acura 3.5 rl

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

HEY GUYS I HAVE A 2000 ACURA RL AND I HATE THE DULL WHITE GAUGE BACKGROUND LIGHTS AND I AM TRYING TO TURN IT INTO BLUE LED BUT I HAVE NO IDEA AS TO WHAT TYPE?QUANTITY? AND WHERE PRETTY MUCH TO ORDER THESE....................CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS INFO IT WOULD VERY MUCH BE APPRECIATED
michael rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-08, 11:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car 1: '02 Acura RL w/ NAV

Well, after seeing those pics of how nice LEDs look like, I decided to go ahead and order from the seller on ebay. Instead of blue, which seems like everyone's favorite, I opted for all white LED bulbs...which I think looks great with a red needle. One of my LED bulb arrived either defective or dead, thus, I had only 9 working bulbs. You can tell where it had the original bulb verses the LED bulbs. I'm still waiting for the seller to send me a replacement:

Even though all the LEDs are white, it still have that little blue effect. In person, it's really white and bright compared to the old bulbs.

Last edited by imports_only1; 12-17-08 at 12:02 AM.
imports_only1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 01:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

Sick I wanan get these done.. hey what do those metal switches do in ur car? is it for the floor light? or you have air bag suspension>?

iiconzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 01:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiconzz View Post
Sick I wanan get these done.. hey what do those metal switches do in ur car? is it for the floor light? or you have air bag suspension>?
I actually have four switches installed myself. One is for aftermarket projector forglights, another is for interior neon lights under the front driver and passenger side dashboard, the third one is for the rear neon lights under the front driver and passenger side seats, and the last one is for under car (under body) neon lights.

I recently took the under car neon light kit out since it is actually illegal and I got some warnings from Polices. The last switch is now using for turn on/off ten LED lights installed on the front driver and passenger side door panels to illuminate window switches from top charmingly. Ha ha ha........
Old 12-19-08, 01:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

nice you did i t all urself? how much did it cost?
id like to get the bulbs and just bring it to a shop ... i jus wanna get the DIY changed mostly the lights under seem really hard to get in . anysites to get them from? which ones u got ?

cant u turn of street glow with the switch? or did u jus get caught alot

iiconzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 05:41 AM   #26 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 S13 fastback w/hicas, wht
Car 2: 88 Legend coupe, red
Car 3: miss tha Q45

i could follow this somewhat for my g1 i think....

i'll have to seriously read through, instead of just lookin at pics.

i'm doin a CPS right now, so i'm gettin to that point to where i'm sick of workin on the car, and ready to drive it.
dblanehopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 01:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiconzz View Post
nice you did i t all urself? how much did it cost?
id like to get the bulbs and just bring it to a shop ... i jus wanna get the DIY changed mostly the lights under seem really hard to get in . anysites to get them from? which ones u got ?

cant u turn of street glow with the switch? or did u jus get caught alot
I bought most of them on eBay at the cheapest price. The switches were purchased at Walmart store at around $4 each.

1. Projector foglights: $12 (I guess) but later I replace them with something better one: P1A Halo Projector Foglights at $62.

2. Interior neon light tubes (4 EA): $20 (I guess)

3. Underbody neon light kit: $47

4. 3 mm Blue LEDs on front door panels with resistors: $10 (You need to calculate the size of resistors based on the working voltage of the LEDs. The LEDs are usually working at 2.7 V to 3.4 V. They are not working with car battery (12 V) directly without appropriate resistors. Actually, you have to assume the car battery voltage to 14 V but not 12 V. If you are smart enough, you will know what I am talking about.)
Old 12-19-08, 03:15 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura RL (KA9)
Car 2: BMW 750iL
Car 3: Corvette C5

nice DIY but I would go xenon only.

and wtf happend to the steering-wheel? :-/
TrulyLegendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 04:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

The steering wheel skin was imported from Korea. It may not match the color with my interior but it is such a great wheel skin. It doesn't slip at all at any situation since it is made of a composite of silicon. In addition, It gives out light from white band areas by luminescence at dark places........^_*

Edit: I will take a pic of steering wheel at night to post here if I have chance.
Old 12-19-08, 04:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 S13 fastback w/hicas, wht
Car 2: 88 Legend coupe, red
Car 3: miss tha Q45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_RLer View Post
I bought most of them on eBay at the cheapest price. The switches were purchased at Walmart store at around $4 each.

1. Projector foglights: $12 (I guess) but later I replace them with something better one: P1A Halo Projector Foglights at $62.

2. Interior neon light tubes (4 EA): $20 (I guess)

3. Underbody neon light kit: $47

4. 3 mm Blue LEDs on front door panels with resistors: $10 (You need to calculate the size of resistors based on the working voltage of the LEDs. The LEDs are usually working at 2.7 V to 3.4 V. They are not working with car battery (12 V) directly without appropriate resistors. Actually, you have to assume the car battery voltage to 14 V but not 12 V. If you are smart enough, you will know what I am talking about.)
which part of Dallas you in?
dblanehopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f29/diy-1st-gen-acura-rl-instrument-guage-cluster-led-bulbs-117446/
Posted By For Type Date
dringend Hilfe :) - Honda V6 Comunity This thread Refback 01-11-11 11:23 AM
dringend Hilfe :) - Honda V6 Comunity This thread Refback 01-11-11 07:21 AM