full review for Tein Basic Coilovers on ka9 RL - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-06, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
full review for Tein Basic Coilovers on ka9 RL

allrighty guys, here's my take on the tein basic coilovers.

Just like 3g legend said, do not use the oem front rubber isolator in the front. I at first felt really uncomfortable without any rubber padding between the spring and the upper mount so I went ahead and left the oem rubber isolators on. The problem with this is that it made too much noise because the RL rubber isolator is bigger than the tsx basic coilover. I went as far as ordering a oem rubber isolator from the TSX and it still made noise. We finally opted on leaving it bare without any type of rubber isolator and that did the trick! no noise!

I know 3g legend gave his feedback already but his was feedback for a super low drop.

my feedback is based on a conservative drop, tight two finger gap in the front and a tight two finger gap in the back. I guess you could say a 1.25" gap all around.

Overall, I really enjoy this new set up. If your looking for a sportier feel and don't mind a little more bounce then this is for you. If you have kids and wanna keep a stock ride feel then this is NOT for you.

other than the drop, the biggest improvement with the tein basic coilover is the handling. I am not exxagerating when I say this but the car is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR in terms of handling. It feels NOTHING like the former stock suspension, the "boatride" feel is gone, the "delay" in response is gone. You can change lanes quickly and you can make tight sharp turns (as if it was a civic), you can make round about free way on ramp, off ramp exits and entrances swiftly and quickly without any drag and delay. The feel of your calling falling off the road is now GONE.

The only drawback to the tein basic coilovers is the overall increase in "bounce". You will feel every bump and hump of the road and your car will re-act to it. if the road is smooth then it feels great but if the road is rough then you will feel it. I think the tein SS with adjustable damper can fix this issue.

Overall - I like it, the trade offs are totally worth it. If I knew the tein SS with adjustable damper would lessen the bounce then that would be my primary choice.

This is a great alternative for us ka9 owners who's only other choice is stock oem relacement which cost over 800 bucks a set (just for the struts alone). The Tein Basic set is a deal since it cost around 675 dollars. It's a no brainer when it comes to replacing your struts. Remember, you can always keep it on the super high setting for a stock height. It just makes no sense to ever buy oem struts or springs again.

also I'd like to add, the tein coilovers for TL or Accord sets could be better choice but I'm not sure.

below are pics of the drop just to give u an idea of how low and conservative I went.

Last edited by 91LegendCoupe; 06-11-06 at 01:23 PM.
91LegendCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-06, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 96 Legend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sweet! Good write up, but don't forget to mention thinner sidewall tires add to a difference in road feel that some readers may not have realized you had added to your car.

I have been riding on stock wheels for a while and its so awsome to have that plush ride

FYI, I looked into the Accord shocks, they're too long, but maybe will work if you dont want to lower you car...maybe raise it haha. Havent looked into the TL stuff but good idea.

Car looks good too.
3g Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 3.5 RL

Nice write up and your conservative drop is what I'm looking for. Your ride looks sweeeeet but for some reason I had originally thought it was black.

I also think the sidewalls on 18's will give it a better overall ride and one of the reasons why I'm stuck on getting 18's (got kids, too). I actually rode in 3g's ride with the stockies and it was still plush for how low it was. Stiffer than my stocks but no bouncing with every nook and cranny of the road which was a nice surprise. Thanks to 3g for the great find.
RL4rheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 2000 C35A3

Send a message via MSN to dynamite
Great info on the coilovers, and the conservative drop looks awesome, the ka9s are such handsome cars when done right! Now just to get those coilovers down to Australia
dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite
Now just to get those coilovers down to Australia
JamesG already picked up a set of these coilovers for his Legend in Australia...but I think he paid a premium for them because they arent distributed there...
Old 06-03-06, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

hey guys, I think I'm gonna go a bit lower today.

having the ability to go lower as I wish is an awesome convenience!
Old 06-04-06, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

careful on those fenders
Old 06-04-06, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura RL

guys, I just put on my rims and there's a nasty front fender gap..I don't know much about suspensions, though. What would I need for a drop, just the coilcovers and labor costs?

Doug
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car 1: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
Car 2: 2005 Chevy Tahoe z71

Send a message via AIM to J Witherspoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggiestyle
guys, I just put on my rims and there's a nasty front fender gap..I don't know much about suspensions, though. What would I need for a drop, just the coilcovers and labor costs?

Doug
pretty much
J Witherspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Doug
yeah tein basic for 675 plus 150 for labor is the goiing rate IMO. Don't forget the camber kits to.

wow, I wish you would have gotten 20" on the hr3 wheels.

it would look absolutely sick now that your gonna lower it.

18" just doesn't cut it with RL's, I've had 18" and they leave much to be desired.
Old 06-05-06, 04:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura RL

Well, I just put a good amount of money down for an apartment in Temple City near my work, and it looks like more will be going into the suspension. What's the deal with the camber kits?

Where in LA are you?

Doug
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-06, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well, I just put a good amount of money down for an apartment in Temple City near my work, and it looks like more will be going into the suspension. What's the deal with the camber kits?

Where in LA are you?

Doug
I'm around temple city to.

when a car is lowered, the wheels tend to angle inward resulting in un-even tire-wear.

to correct this, a camber kit is used to "straigten out" the camber resulting in normal tire-wear.

in the long run I think you will come out ahead by replacing your suspensio; especially now that your running low profile tires.
Old 06-05-06, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

hey guys,

another thing I forget to mention about these tein basics is it's ability to NOT BOTTOM out.

maybe 3g legend can chime in on this to.

I can totally feel the difference and imact these tein basic coilovers have over my 19" wheels vs my former stock struts and stock springs/comptech springs.

It's as if the majority of the road gremlins are now absorbed by the tein coilovers rather than the wheels itself.

with my former stock struts-stock springs-comptech springs, I can totally tell the wheels were taking a beating everytime I hit a bump or pothole. It was as if the oem strut would bottom out leaving the wheel with nowhere to go but get stuck and take a beating.

can this be because of my tein coilovers ? can anyone confirm this ?
Old 06-05-06, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah think about why a BMW with 17s and 18s stock can get away with a good ride on such a large wheel, their suspension is tuned well for them. The Teins stiffer prings rates and higher dampening allows your wheels to work better. The stock shocks and springs were fine for those little 16s and huge sidewalls =P but not for the 19s.
Old 06-06-06, 12:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

hi shawn,

do u think I will lose a bit of my ride if I go lower with the coilovers ?

I figure it should not lose any ride comfort because I am not decreasing the spring-strut travel right ?

I am just adjusting the spring perch so the spring-strut travel should be the same no matter how high or how low I go right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)