Odomoter won't light - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-08, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1998 Acura 3.5 RL

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Odomoter won't light

I hope somebody can help me with my problem. My odometer won't light up in my IP and I would like some help to fix it. I'm a pretty good do-it-yourselfer so any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way my car is a 1998 Acura 3.5 RL. Thanks
joevez2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-08, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car 1: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
Car 2: 2005 Chevy Tahoe z71

Send a message via AIM to J Witherspoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevez2000 View Post
I hope somebody can help me with my problem. My odometer won't light up in my IP and I would like some help to fix it. I'm a pretty good do-it-yourselfer so any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, by the way my car is a 1998 Acura 3.5 RL. Thanks
there is a small bulb in there that lights your odo. it's probably going to be a pain in the rear to replace.

to get to the instrument panel you need to:

-remove bezel around the shifter
-remove the woodgrain trim
-remove center air vents
-remove center stack held in by 4 10mm screws
-remove two screws at the top of the gauge cluster (probably a couple more on the sides...I'm not sure)
-rotate the gauge cluster forward and down to remove it.

Once you get the cluster out, youre going to have remove a bunch of screws from the circuit board and PLEASE NOTE WHICH SCREW CAME FROM WHAT POSITION and be careful to not over tighten them or put them in the wrong position because it will render your cluster non-operational.
J Witherspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 98 acura rl

98 rl odometer problem

I also have a 98 rl with the same problem. My odometer/trip gauge is dead. My speedometer and tach are fine. I replaced the odometer panel and it's still broke. When I press the reset button, I hear the beep that normally resets the trip counter to zero. Nothing at all appears on panel, normally I can toggle between odometer, trip A, trip B and outside temp. I don't think the reset switch is bad since the beep works and I wouldn't think the odometer info would be effected by this. Can someone explain how the odometer info gets to the panel? I am at a loss. Prior to buying the odometer panel, I spoke to an Acura parts guy and we both thought the problem had to be the panel. I called him back and he spoke to the mechanics and they are weren't much help. Please help. You can email me directly also at joecus@gmail.com.
joecus62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Car 1: 97 RL Premium w/ NAVI

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecus62 View Post
I also have a 98 rl with the same problem. My odometer/trip gauge is dead. My speedometer and tach are fine. I replaced the odometer panel and it's still broke. When I press the reset button, I hear the beep that normally resets the trip counter to zero. Nothing at all appears on panel, normally I can toggle between odometer, trip A, trip B and outside temp. I don't think the reset switch is bad since the beep works and I wouldn't think the odometer info would be effected by this. Can someone explain how the odometer info gets to the panel? I am at a loss. Prior to buying the odometer panel, I spoke to an Acura parts guy and we both thought the problem had to be the panel. I called him back and he spoke to the mechanics and they are weren't much help. Please help. You can email me directly also at joecus@gmail.com.
Was that a brand new odometer? How did you get the odometer part? Acura doesn't sell the part only instead that they sell whole instrument gauge cluster. I'm sure that your odometer back light is just out. So if you replace the odometer as a working one, it must work.

Anyway, the cheapest way to do is buy an instrument gauge cluster on eBay and replace it. You can search with the keyword "Acura RL cluster" and you may find a couple of them and can buy it under $100 generally.

Another option, I have a working odometer as an extra. I can sell it at $20 including shipping fee.

97_RLer
97_RLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car 1: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
Car 2: 2005 Chevy Tahoe z71

Send a message via AIM to J Witherspoon
there is a very very very small pin connector that connects the odo to the circuit board. however, the mileage and trip info isnt stored in the display screen, but on the cluster's motherboard. either that or the small diode that makes the numbers visible is dead. you might need to pull the cluster again to make sure the connector is attached not to mention see if the diode is out
J Witherspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
CAPTAIN ELECTRICAL

Car 1: 1996 rl

i just took apart a 96 rl and the odometer lamp is not serviceable you'll need a new odometer or cluster......
garyk1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
CAPTAIN ELECTRICAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_RLer View Post
Was that a brand new odometer? How did you get the odometer part? Acura doesn't sell the part only instead that they sell whole instrument gauge cluster. I'm sure that your odometer back light is just out. So if you replace the odometer as a working one, it must work.

Anyway, the cheapest way to do is buy an instrument gauge cluster on eBay and replace it. You can search with the keyword "Acura RL cluster" and you may find a couple of them and can buy it under $100 generally.

Another option, I have a working odometer as an extra. I can sell it at $20 including shipping fee.

97_RLer
you still have this part???
Old 06-06-08, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 96 Acura RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk1970 View Post
i just took apart a 96 rl and the odometer lamp is not serviceable you'll need a new odometer or cluster......
That seems odd. Are you sure? I have a diagram that shows the back of the gauge cluster and it shows 10 spots for "gauge lights, 3.0W x 4". It seems as if one could replace those. I have the gauge cluster from my RL at home and will check it this weekend. It would be crazy if Acura made you buy an entire gauge cluster for a blown bulb...

If anyone needs a diagram of the back of the gauge cluster or the instructions on removing it, email me at seamusnh@gmail.com and I'll send a pdf...
seamusNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-08, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
CAPTAIN ELECTRICAL

all the bulbs that can be replaced are for the cluster illumination.the odometer has its own lighting built in to the display,similar to a vacuum tube type setup (positive or negative LCD display,i cant remember the correct terminology).if the odometer display part number could be found,you can order just order it if its available.luckily 97rloer had the part and I'm only going to replace that.heres a couple pics showing the entire cluster disassembled,and the separate odo unit.HTH.
i wish it was as easy as a bulb,i do electronic repairs as a living........
Attached Thumbnails
Odomoter won't light-06-06-08_1040.jpg   Odomoter won't light-06-06-08_1041.jpg  

Last edited by garyk1970; 06-06-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk1970 View Post
all the bulbs that can be replaced are for the cluster illumination.the odometer has its own lighting built in to the display,similar to a vacuum tube type setup (positive or negative LCD display,i cant remember the correct terminology).if the odometer display part number could be found,you can order just order it if its available.luckily 97rloer had the part and I'm only going to replace that.heres a couple pics showing the entire cluster disassembled,and the separate odo unit.HTH.
i wish it was as easy as a bulb,i do electronic repairs as a living........
It is just easy as you replace the bulbs. Your part will be shipped out on Monday morning.
Old 06-09-08, 09:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
CAPTAIN ELECTRICAL

Quote:
It is just easy as you replace the bulbs. Your part will be shipped out on Monday morning.
thanks
Old 06-15-08, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 Acura 3.5RL Premium w/ Navigation

I have somewhat of a small lighting problem on my gauges. Not on the odometer, but around the 140 and 160 mph area of the speedometer. It's not as bright as the other parts of the gauges.
1997 3.5RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
CAPTAIN ELECTRICAL

well,the odometer didnt fix the problem ,found a semiconductor bad (d1815) looks like it exploded! trying to find this part now.....thanks for the help.

the post above this one sounds like a simple bulb will fix...its just a matter of getting to it.
Old 07-02-08, 06:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultimate DIYer

Sorry to hear you, Gary! I thought your odometer itself was burnt out.
Anyway, I still have the instrument gauge cluster. The gauge cluster came from 96 RL with exactly 97,810 miles on the odometer reading. Email or PM me.

Edit: Once you swap the gauge cluster board, your odometer reading will be changed to the reading of the new board.

Last edited by 97_RLer; 07-02-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 12:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
CAPTAIN ELECTRICAL

Quote:
Sorry to hear you, Gary! I thought your odometer itself was burnt out.
Anyway, I still have the instrument gauge cluster. The gauge cluster came from 96 RL with exactly 97,810 miles on the odometer reading. Email or PM me.

Edit: Once you swap the gauge cluster board, your odometer reading will be changed to the reading of the new board.
pm sent. my car has 112k ,so its close.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)