Please help - Check engine light on! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-04, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1998 Acura 3.5 RL

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Please help - Check engine light on!

We bought a used 98 Acura 3.5 RL with about 120,000 miles on it. The check engine light has come on and we took it to a mechanic/friend that worked for Acura to have it checked out at his shop. He checked the code and replaced the EGR Valve and since it was time the timing belt and water pump. After picking up the car yesterday and getting several miles down the road the check engine light came on again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else might be going on? Thanks!

Last edited by mhawks; 12-14-04 at 02:42 AM. Reason: fatal error when trying to post new thread
mhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-04, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1999 3.5 RL Black / Black

I think a lot of RL's have problem with clogged egr flow. If the code shows P0401 then the intake manifold is clogged with carbon deposits. There is a hole at the rear part of the intake manifold where the tube from the EGR is connected and that hole is where carbon deposits accumulate and will restrict flow of exhaust gas.

One test you can do if P0401 (clogged egr flow) is the problem:

1. Reset your ecu (clear the check engine)
2. After resetting, drive your car and cruise at 55mph as soon as you reach 55mph release you accelerator and let the car cruise on its own, the check engine light should come on at this time.
http://webpages.charter.net/dodie
yonip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-04, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 Bl/Bl 3.5RL

I need guidance. How exactly do I reset the ecu and how do I get the CEL code? It is time for me to start learning about my RL seeing that my CEL has been on for over a month and now the Mantainance Needed light is lit as well. HELP!

Notice this is my 1st post here on Legends!
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-04, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

First make sure you have your code for the radio before doing the reset. All you have to do is remove the negative of battery for a couple of minutes and put it back that will reset your CEL. You can get the CEL code using an OBD II Code Reader but you can go to any Autozone ( if you have that store in your area) and they can get the CEL code for you free. You can reset your service reminder light by simultaneously pressing the 2 buttons ( I think its the reset and select button) located at the cluster gauge for a couple of seconds.
Old 12-17-04, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 Bl/Bl 3.5RL

Would the OBD II code reader be useful on my OBD I 1991 NSX as well? And where would I get the codes for my radio? My RL did not come with an owners manual.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-04, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

nope, OBD II is for year 96-up cars. You can actually check the codes yourself manually (basing codes on the light sequence from check engine light) on some cars with OBD I. Try searching the internet on ways to manually check codes on your OBD I car if your MIL is on.

There might some stickers with numbers for your radio code located at your glove box compartment. If none then you have to get your radio's serial no. which I guess located at the rear of the radio itself and get the code from your local dealership. They might able to help you with that.
Old 01-01-05, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 Green Acura 3.5RL

This might be covered by the extended emissions warranty that has been posted in this forum. Have you tried checking with an Acura dealer?
ARVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)