Rack Replacement - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-13, 09:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda Legend 98
Car 2: BMW 320 (f30) 2013
Car 3: Suzuki GSR 600 2008

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I got the rack from an ebay store.. Cardone A1..
car hasn't moved from the parking spot since saturday nigth... and the PSF still at the level i left it..
Took it out for a quick ride with no noticeable fluid level drop..

I'll have to drive it and see if it fixed itself of what..
I've read somewhere that some rubbers shrink/expand based on the fluid they are submerged to; which made me think it might be the case. It didn't leak when the rack were replaced but out of the sudden PSF just went down quickly one day.

I'll report my findings. Maybe this is the real reason why it has to be honda oem PS fluid
weput is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-13, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Car 1: 1996 RL

Is your still leaking? Mine is leaking pretty bad now, only 2 days and it is between the upper and lower level. I called the shop and they quoted me 1690$ to replace it! I'm thinking to get the rack from rockauto and bring it to the shop so they get install it for me.
Alpine type s speakers, Pioneer AVH1400, Sound Ordnance M-4075, Boston Acoustic 12'', Retrofitted Infiniti FX35 OEM projectors with clear lens, Wings West front lip, 02 chrome wheels, 03-04 taillights coming soon...
3.5RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend Sedan Type 1

Another thing about power steering in ANY car not just Honda/Acura is you can't expect to just see it dripping, especially when it's cold, I have had better luck finding leaks with a warm engine, and a second person inside turning the steering wheel with complete turns in both directions, that "boiling" you are talking about indicates air in the system, you could maybe have a leak still or you might have to just bleed the system.
misterOG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Stay away from part store racks. Rack and Pinion - rack and pinion steering - rack and pinion remanufacturing - rack and pinion manufacturers - Rack Doctor

$1690.00 is a rip off!!!
Old 02-05-13, 05:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yes, parts store racks are ALMOST guaranteed to fail, as a shop mechanic, I have had a TON of their racks fail on me until the 3rd or 4th time. This is due to low quality parts that their manufacturers use to keep prices down.
Old 02-06-13, 01:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura legend 91

Rack Replacement

Not trying to steal the topic... But I am doing a rack in pinion this week. I have a shop that wants 800 for it or my friend can do it for 200 labor and the autozone part is 240(plus the 96 back for returning) so your saying dont use autozone?
Accuragirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 12:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

I think Oriely or Kragen is better than autozone lol because last time I check their racks are the same on Ebay.

Anyway, I have a quick question. Can I keep driving the car like this till August? Because I need to get my car for the Smog test, so I don't know if it is going to pass. My car had a hard problem passing the test two years go lol. I know I need to keep an eyes on the level, but it doesn't make sense if i get the rack replace for ~800$ if it doesn't pass the test. If it fails the smog test then I'll get another RL or MDX.
Alpine type s speakers, Pioneer AVH1400, Sound Ordnance M-4075, Boston Acoustic 12'', Retrofitted Infiniti FX35 OEM projectors with clear lens, Wings West front lip, 02 chrome wheels, 03-04 taillights coming soon...
Old 02-07-13, 01:15 AM   #23 (permalink)

Well, I'm not sure how California inspections are (when I lived there I was too young to drive) but most other places don't do smog inspections, I would assume smog is emissions related. Anyway, your rack is not at all related to emissions, it IS however a safety component that would not pass, mainly because of the leaking fluid.

YES, you CAN continue driving, it isn't gonna make your car blow up or anything but the issue is running it dry can cause to PS pump failure and it's components, so the ending result would cause a REALLY hard steering wheel and a ton more money to fix. Just watch the fluid level, and drive safe.
Old 02-07-13, 07:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Yea, my bad I didn't clarify that. Smog is the emission test and the rack has nothing to do with it. I just keep an eyes on the level and top it off. Thx for the info.
Old 11-18-13, 09:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda Legend 98
Car 2: BMW 320 (f30) 2013
Car 3: Suzuki GSR 600 2008

I'll like to announce that, after several months with a leaking rack, I've found a local guy who changed all my seals (on the old rack) and did a very nice job

now... time to save some cash as this leaved a big hole in my wallet.
weput is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)