Acura Legend Forum banner

Turn your useless OnStar into bluetooth handsfree! Bluestar

21K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  xpressive 
#1 ·
Hello all

Ive been working with a company costartech.com - Home to try and get this system working on the 2002-2004 Acura RL.

It took alot of work for my custom one off unit figuring out all the wiring diagrams etc. Bottom line is this modiule (Bluestar) that replaces the onstar unit is working just well in my Rl and I am loving it. In a quick rundown here is what it is:

The bluestar integrates a Motorola HF850 (I think) bluetooth car kit so that it can use your original onstar buttons as controls and of course the built in mic, then plays the audio through your vehicles audio system by muting the audio. Thats it,you get a fully integrated car kit which for me is great.

Now here is the thing. My kit was a one off pretty much BUT, the company is willing to make more if they get at least 10 buyers.

To install the unit you must be willing and able to cut some wires going into your onstar unit to route to the bluestar. All that is required for install is to remove the rear seat and tap into the wires on the onstar unit. I took lots of pictures of the process so if there are 10 buyers I will have no problems making a how to.

If anyone is interested or has any questions Please post here for now. if there are a minimum of 10 buyers I will NOT! be dealing with any money. If there is enough interest all payments/deposits will be made to the company itself. I am just trying to give back to the Acura comunity and help the company that sold me this great product.

I will try and get a short video up if anyone is interested and pictures.

Search the Bluestar site for all technicall details.:thumbsup:

Oh it looks like this one would also work on the 2003 Acura Cl and TL with Onstar. I'll triple check my wiring diagrams though.

See less See more
#3 ·
B+O, don't you have to subscribe to the OnStar service for that to work anyway? If you aren't a current subscriber, I don't see why not!

#4 ·
Yes you do lose the onstar service but in our case it doent matter. Effective the beggining of this year (2009) Onstar services have gone digital (like tv) and the Analog Onstar systems on our cars are useless. This affects 2003 CL's and TL's along with 2002-04 RL's.

So even if you wanted to connect it you couldnt and there isnt a retrofit kit etc in order for our cars to keep the service. Google Onstars digital transition and you will find many GM owner very unhappy.

2005 RL's and up is a diffrent story though.

Al we get to hear is lisa Davis voice telling you to subscribe but the analog system cannot connect to anything.

#8 · (Edited)
Well I paid 260 shipped. That included the Bluestar and wiring harness. If you look at the site I linked above, the site lists the prices that way.

Onstar is equipped on many vehicles other than GM. They are actually on volvos, acuras, Audi, Subaru and Volkswagen and a couple more non gm brands. It was a surprise to me to when i saw it in the RL.

#7 ·
Nope, my 04 RL has Onstar still active, and XM active :p
I love XM. Too bad Porsche was more stringent and tried to make me pay after 3 months. XM-less in the Porsche :( oh well..

#9 ·
Negotiate with XM.. I've got XM running in 3 cars all at 20 bucks for 5 months.. Renegotiate again when the 5 months is up.. Always works.. Just tell them you love the service but don't want to pay that much for it; they are very willing to throw promos at you to keep you around. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Well this system only work on the RL or can i make it work through the onstar in my silverado?

#12 · (Edited)
The answer is likely yes.

Check here tis is there application sheet.

http://costartech.com/pb/products/datasheets/Application%20Guide2.pdf

They listr Silverados from 1999 so there is probably a plug and play kit for your vehicle.

As you can see Acura is not on theyre product page. (If anyone is wondering the Onstar system on our model year Acuras is Class 2, except it doesnt use the class 2 interface hence the custome program for our specific unit)

BUT if at least 10 people commit to purchase than there will be. :D

I was looking over the wiring diagrams again and it looks like the 2003 TL and CL with onstar could also be included with the RL as far as getting 10 confirmed buyers. The pinouts on the Onstar units are almost exactly the same between the RL's and the TL/CL's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.