1991 Acura Legend (coupe) good purchase? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-10, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
sun

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1991 Acura Legend (coupe) good purchase?

I found a 1991 Acura Legend (coupe) for only $1000. The first thing I did was vin the number in autochek and everything was 100%. The car had no accidents or damage or anything and the private seller told me as-well that there was no accidents and he will show me a car proof. Also he put a new engine in it so it only has a mileage of 60,000KM and it was the type one engine he put in, but he said that the body of the car is 280000KM. I am personally going to check out the vehicle to see if it is in good condition and I am going to pay a mobile mechanic to check if the vehicle is good to purchase. The owner of the vehicle told me that the car needs some body work because of some rust and the vehicle needs to get e-tested and certified still. So overall do you guys think that this is a good car to purchase since I need to certify and e-test it and get body work done on it?
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-10, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: Kat - '95 KA8 T2 LS
Car 2: Jade - '95 KA7 T2 GS
Car 3: '87 KA3 LS - Donated

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
1. Ask him to give you the proof that the engine was replaced.
2. Tell him if the vehicle fails emission test than he has to buy it back (make sure you have this in writing and signed by him).
3. How much body work? If its over $1000 dollars then I dont think its worth it (for a 1991).
4. Check for the notorious Head Gasket issue. Test drive the vehicle for at least 30 minutes on the highway preferably. Let it sit and see if it overheats. Check for oil spots under the engine and make sure nothing is missing or unplug in the engine.
5. Make sure the CEL is not on when testing the vehicle.

These are just a few suggestions when buying a used car. There are tons of other question you should ask... Good luck, sounds like you are enthusiastic about the car so hope for the best...

BOTTOM LINE: It's not what we think, its what you think...
Old 02-02-10, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
1. Ask him to give you the proof that the engine was replaced.
2. Tell him if the vehicle fails emission test than he has to buy it back (make sure you have this in writing and signed by him).
3. How much body work? If its over $1000 dollars then I dont think its worth it (for a 1991).
4. Check for the notorious Head Gasket issue. Test drive the vehicle for at least 30 minutes on the highway preferably. Let it sit and see if it overheats. Check for oil spots under the engine and make sure nothing is missing or unplug in the engine.
5. Make sure the CEL is not on when testing the vehicle.

These are just a few suggestions when buying a used car. There are tons of other question you should ask... Good luck, sounds like you are enthusiastic about the car so hope for the best...

BOTTOM LINE: It's not what we think, its what you think...
Thank you this is a good guide to follow and yea I am pumped about this car it is really cheap plus has around 200hp and 210 torque.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend 3.5 Coupe
Car 2: 1992 Honda Civic LX

Dude, im 100% sure that Legend in which your inquiring about is on a verge of having a blown headgasket....There's no such thing as a good legend for $1,000 bucks or B/O....

Your best bet is to test drive the car for about 30minutes to see if the needle raises and question the heck out of him...(if he becomes aggitated or figgity, theres something up)

Also, if you don't have the money to rebuild or maintain this baby, dont even bother!!! I wish you the best of luck bro
1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)