1994 Legend Anti-Theft System - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-03, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1994 Legend Anti-Theft System

I have a 1994 Legend with 151,000 miles on it. The anti-theft system just started acting up. The remotes started malfuntioning and not deactivating the alarm. I put new batteries in them, but it did not help. I have to push the button on the remote many times to get it to work and a few times, I thought I was stranded before it finally deativated. Once, I just manually locked the door and the system activated itselft and I had to hit the remote button many many times before it deactivated. I took it in to a local car alarm place, Cartronics, Nashville, TN and they said the main brain was dead and needed to be replaced. The part alone is going to cost $704.95. Does this sound correct? Anybody have any experience dealing with this and can offer some advice?

thanks
ruscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-03, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

re:

btw, this is a factory installed anti theft system, not aftermarket
Old 07-25-03, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
6-Speed Member *Former...

Car 1: 95 Prelude
Car 2: 07 Civic Hybrid
Car 3: 09 Pilot Touring

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
With the factory alarm, shouldn't it disarm as well as arm with using the key to lock and unlock the drivers door?

Your first symptom sounded like all you needed was a replacement alarm fob (remote). Over time the tiny pressure switch on the remote's circuit board goes bad from constant usage. If your alarm disarms by unlocking the drivers door, then all I would do is replace your remote. I've seen Legend specific remotes up for sale from time to time on Ebay for like $10 - $20 bucks, then you would need to bring this into Acura with your car for them to program the remote unless someone on this forum has the instructions.
pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

re:

it's not the remote, I have 2 of them and have changed the batterys in both of them and get the same exact response.
Old 07-26-03, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
0000$$$$0000####0000

Car 1: Acura

By the way, if you ever think you might get stuck again when your remote doesn't work, pecan2phat is right. Just stick your key in the door lock and unlock the door. It is designed to unlock the door and disarm the OEM alarm at the same time.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

re:

when this has happened and i use the car key, it sets the alarm off, the horn starts blowing and it locks the car up. very embarrassing when you are in a parking lot. the security unit assembly appears to be bad. are these things available at a good price on the net or will I have to pay the $704 I was quoted.
Old 07-26-03, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Re: re:

Quote:
Originally posted by ruscosi
it's not the remote, I have 2 of them and have changed the batterys in both of them and get the same exact response.
If your alarm is disarming by unlocking the drivers door then check these two items:
Does your remote fob have a led when you arm or disarm it? If so, when you push the buttons on the remote, is the led lighting bright or dim or not at all. If dim or not at all, then it's the remote. (I've had 2 remotes go bad from constant usage back and forth) If not the above, could be that the antenna receiver wire on the brain unit that picks up the remote signal is loose, twisted, not fully extended.
Old 07-26-03, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
0000$$$$0000####0000

Car 1: Acura

Re: re:

Quote:
Originally posted by ruscosi
when this has happened and i use the car key, it sets the alarm off, the horn starts blowing and it locks the car up. very embarrassing when you are in a parking lot. the security unit assembly appears to be bad. are these things available at a good price on the net or will I have to pay the $704 I was quoted.
The false alarm when using the key is not the OEM alarms fault but a faulty door lock actuator. You see, the door lock actuator also has a switch to arm/disarm the OEM alarm. This is the part that starts to fail. Probably getting dirty or coroded. When this happens you get the false alarms like you describe. Unfortuantely, this part is not sold independed for the Legend, thus an entire door lock actuator must be changed. You may be thinking that you are not getting the cycling door lock problem as others with door lock actuator problems are getting, but there are many different symtoms of a bad door lock actuator. You may have more then one, or any one of them, but it all comes back to the actuator. As for the weak remote signal, it could just be you are getting a low more radio waves in the area. Too much RF interference dramatically shortens the range of the remote.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-03, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

If your alarm is going off when you unlock the drivers door with the key then that's a sign that your door lock actuator is going bad. Unfortunately this controls a myrid of functions including part of the OEM alarm system - meaning expensive dealer part! But it puzzles me that your remotes are not working either, don't know if this is all tied into the actuator. Get a second opinion before you replace the keyless entry, it might just be your actuator. As for the keyless system, yes it's a dealer part. You just missed an Ebay auction for a new, in the box keyless system for the gen2 legends that someone had and never installed. It ended at $178, lot cheaper than 7 + bills.
Here's the link if your interested, don't look if your gonna beat yourself over the head though. Only seen 2 new ones on Ebay for the last 18 months.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2423841428
Old 07-26-03, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

re:

my remotes are funtioning correctly and getting plenty of power, the red LED lights up very brightly. I guess I will have to take the car into the dealership and have them check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)