91 acura hard start - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-11, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 acura legend sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
91 acura hard start

hello all. i have a 91 acura legend 4dr and it has a very weird problem right now. when i go to start the car in the morning the car barely turns over like the battery is going dead, All the lights on the dash and clock will start to dim also. i though dead battery but when i hooked my volt meter to it the battery is setting at 12.45V and when i turn the car over it only goes down to 10.2V. Well it takes about five tries turning it over until the car will fire up with a very low idle but it will catch itself and adjust out to a normal idle. Once the car is running it will start up easy after that until i park it at work and come out 10 hours later to try and start it again which it does the same thing all over again. Yesterday i was setting in traffic for about 10 mins and when i took off it starting to go but then starting to die out on me but when i let off the gas and pressed the gas again it was fine.
I have replaced:
Battery, Fuel Pump, Fuel filter, Spark Plugs,

Any ideas?
jr86442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-11, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ok i also noticed today when trying to figure this out that when it does this problem both fans turn on and wont turn off until the car fires up then they will turn off.
Old 06-12-11, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
That's your problem right there. When any vehicle is trying to start those first 5-10 secs have to be dedicated to the starter. The fans running at the same time is not allowing the engine to turn over at a fast enough speed to crank like normal.

I'd start by trouble shooting the fan issue.

When you turn the key to the II position does your fans kick on immediately and stay on?

If yes than the fan timer needs to be replaced.
Old 06-20-11, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok. Sorry i have not posted back sooner. Been crazy here. So the very next morning i when out to start my car and it fired right up no issues. It has been starting fine now for about a week until today. it did the same problem however the fans were not on. it was just turning over very very slow like it did not have enough power "It also backfired". I did however video the problem i am talking about if you want to see it.

Also i though it might be a problem with the main relay so about 5 days ago i put a new one in.
Old 06-21-11, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

well the video is on youtube but i cannot post it here for some reason. last night i was making sure that the cooling system had no air in it which it does not and the problem with the fans happened again. I turned the key to the 2 position, dash lights came on, and after about 5 minutes of leaving the key in this position "Engine not ruunning" both fans turned on for about 3 minutes and then turn off. is this normal? would a bad fan switch or cooling temp switch cause the car to not start or start very hard?
Old 06-21-11, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Legend 6-spd
Car 2: 2004 Tahoe

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
Check your battery terminals and make sure they are clean and tight. If that doesn't solve it check ALL your grounds and make sure they are all tight too.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok i have checked everything and am now at a loss. The car is starting fine now except now again when i turn the key to the second position both cooling fans turn on, when i start the car both fans stay running. do both fans turn on when the car is getting to hot??? is this the fan timer? Does anyone on here have a fan timer of sale??

Thanks.
Old 07-12-11, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok now i got a different problem. Fans will still come on every once in awhile when i first turn the key on but my hard start is now gone. Car runs fine when it is first started, lots of power, but after it warms up and is driven for awhile it start to have a big problem. If i go to WOT the engine has no power and the rpms drop all the way down to about 1000rpm until i let go of the gas pedal. if i get on the pedal about half way the engine will start to surge the rpm up and down really bad. The engine never dies out during any of this. i also have no cels. Any ideas??

My main realy is new, fuel pump is new, fuel filter is new, 02 sensors are new,
Old 07-13-11, 04:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

ok tonight it threw two cel's. codes 43 & 44. any ideas?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)