'92 Legend, 190k miles; shocks/rack & pinion worth repairing? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-09, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura Legend '92

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
'92 Legend, 190k miles; shocks/rack & pinion worth repairing?

I just finished up my undergrad and will be moving cross-country (1850 miles) at the end of the summer for grad school. My shocks and rack & pinion need replacing. I think the initial quotes we got from our usual shop were around $1800 parts and labor.

Couldn't afford it at the time, but now I've got a little graduation money, and I get to choose between putting it down on another used car in the 3-$7k range or fixing this one up. $1800 seems like a pretty hefty investment at this point, but would be well worth it, compared to spending double+ on another vehicle, if it got me through the next 3 years without anything epic breaking.

$1800 wouldn't be the end of the investment (I'd need new tires as well, before striking out across the country).

So: 1.) how reasonable is that $1800 price tag? and 2.) would you recommend putting all of this money into a 92 model, instead of using it as a down payment on something several years newer?

Thanks for any assistance.
abathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-09, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Insert key, crank, BHG.

Car 1: '92 LS "December"
Car 2: 6MT Canterbury Coupe

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Yea, looking at my records, I paid about $1650 to have my rack and front struts replaced. I put in used struts though so that might be the difference in price. What you should do really depends. If you have full maintenance records and/or know all the major service has been done (timing belt, water pump, coolant service, the big stuff) and isn't due soon, I'd say keep it. If you know the timing belt is due soon or don't have history to know, I might let it go.

You're a newbie so I'm just going to tack this on here: always take care of and keep a close eye on your cooling system. A leak in the radiator or a rubber hose could lead to overheating which will all but certainly blow your head gaskets. Flush the coolant and replace the thermostat every 30k miles. Use Acura's Type II coolant only.

I think OEM is the best look. I just don't happen to think any of the various arrangements of OEM got it exactly right all at once
Pinyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Uber Lurker

really depends on you and your situation. If you know your not a true legend fan at heart, just get a new car and pay it monthly, i am pretty sure their warranteed will fix most of the problems that you encounter , in that time frame of the warranteed ofcourse. so regardless you will pay the monthly payment for the car and the warranteed will take car of it, but it will be a longer time until you finish paying it off. on the other hand if you stick to the legend, there might be some problems and it will cost highly but thats all you have to pay to get it fix for that problem, but the question is if you can find a way to pay it off.
really depends on you.
11454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 2nd gen 93 ls 4dr
Car 2: mini van 03 dodge

if u got ur legend because its just a car then get rid of her if u got it because of her backround and the complexity of upgrading her then keep her and fix her urself>spend 20.00 on a manuel and u will find legends r easer to work on then u think...just take ur time..she is like art

HEROS DIE..LEGENDS LIVE FOREVER
CRiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 94 Acura Legend coupe

even a girl can replace the rack and pinion (and one has), shocks too, look up in the DIY section, get a helms manual, and there's the online service manual.
epicLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)