accidently put oil in the radiator - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-08, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: legend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
accidently put oil in the radiator

this is the dumbest thing i've ever done, i accidently put motor oil (10w-40) in the radiator intead of coolant, not a whole lot thought. what the worst that could happen and what should i do?
daniboy2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-08, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Drain and flush your radiator if you haven't started it. Not sure what damage it may have caused if any.
Old 01-22-08, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: Carless

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black Type II
how u managed to get that mixed up...the next best thing to do is to drain the radiator then flush it out.

1995 Milano Red LS 6SPD where are you?
Black Type II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd drain the radiator prior to starting the vehicle, Then take the opportunity to flush the system. I know Prestone makes a flush, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with Honda coolant.

Someone who is familiar with HG replacement should be of help here as oil in the coolant is sometimes the case in those situations.
Uncle Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: Carless

Send a message via AIM to Black Type II
didnt somewhere someone say to take a garden hose and spray in the radiator filler neck? dunno if that would work since water and oil dont mix/bond

1995 Milano Red LS 6SPD where are you?
Black Type II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 91 LS Black window trim EDM/Hids Remus 2 1/2 cat back Headers stage 3 ecu
Car 2: ,Red tails, Type 2
Car 3: 6 speed, EDM spoiler

iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Dont worry bout it, water pump lube!

j/k, yeah, I'd flush it as best you can! Buy Honda Antifreeze, 3 gallons, refill and bleed air.

I too would like to know, HOW?
blkonblkcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
SGM / Type F

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to samblaze
How much is "not a whole lot"...less than a quart? Did you start the car at all? If not the oil should bet settled at the top of the radiator...so maybe siphoning some off the top before you drain the radiator may be a good iea to prevent it from moving all the way through your radiator....damn I don't remember shi* from high school science!!
Sig by Double Glow
samblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
has left the building

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Wow. Don't think I would have told that one. I'm not sure you need a car just yet. Consider selling it and riding MARTA or buying a bicycle.
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 2006 Nissan sentra SER
Car 2: 1991 3.5 legend

iTrader Score: 13 reviews
i all ways wanted to know what would happen if you put oil in the coolant system but not mixed with coolant i was thinking all by its self!
Old 01-22-08, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 1998 4Runner SR5 3RZFE
Car 2: 1993 Legend LS Coupe
Car 3: 1992 Legend LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
I hope you haven't driven the car yet. Go under the car, remove the plastic spash shield, take off the rad cap, remove the drain plug (on the bottom part of the radiator, driver side) and let out all the coolant. Next, flush the radiator by pouring copious amounts of water into the radiator using a garden hose. Do this until you see only water coming out of the drain outlet of the radiator at the bottom. You could alternatively disconnect both Rad hoses (the 2 big thick ones going into the engine. Pour water into the rad through the upper hose, letting it flow out through the bottom hose. Once you've rinsed the radiator, I suggest using a rad flush. To do this you would connect everything back, fill up the rad with coolant and rad system flush, run the engine and then repeat the rad drain and refill procedure. Oil and coolant mixed together make a think muddy slush, which is not good for your waterpump, so I can only pray that you haven't started up your car yet.
TonyTheBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 11:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: legend

i did start the car and drove it. now it's overheating and no heat come out when i turn the heat. the car runs for about 5-7 mins and starts to overheat and the radiator resorvoir has steam coming out of it. i'm thinking changing the thermostat. but if the coolant and oil mixuture make mud, what should i do?
daniboy2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Is tired of fanboys
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Bugz Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: 94' ka7 cashmere

Send a message via Yahoo to ManOfBusiness
Dude I hope you havn't warped your heads and gasket....

The way I flush my coolant is disconnect both main coolant hoses from the radiator and take out the thermostat. then put the water hose in the top hole and let it run for about 10 mins. then let it run through the bottom hoes with the car on (and running) heat on full... for 5 min, engine never warms up during this period... then hook hose up to radiator and flush that real good. let most water drain from radiator. (replace thermo if needed) hook everything back up except top hose. fill radiator with coolant, reverse fill engine with coolant slowly so air can escape. then hook top hose back to radiator. run engine and add coolant and bleed air.

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
ManOfBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
DI-your-NAN

Car 1: LegendBashing///Mobile

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drewLegend
Dude, WHY would you start/attempt to drive the car afterwards...?

You need to quit touching things and get your Legend towed in to a shop/dealership before you try to do anything else, as it'll only make it worse.

'92 LS Sedan = sold as of 10/18/07
drewLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Is tired of fanboys
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Bugz Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: 94' ka7 cashmere

Send a message via Yahoo to ManOfBusiness
LMFAO... Im just really having a hard time trying to figure how the hell you mistaked the Friggin radiator cap for the Oil Cap when the oil cap clearly has a Oil Cup on it and is attached to the engine...

were you on meth or acid or just real high?

OMG. Im glad the car didn't blow up.

reminds me of this time I caught this lady putting windshield washer fluid. in her power steering resivor.

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
ManOfBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend LS

new radiator and a 3.5 swap should do the trick......

if you had the money to do it

well, my girlfriends mom drives a 1999 chevy malibu and went out and bought a thing of antifreeze and brought it home. she accidently picked up the lawn pesticide and poured it into her her radiator instead of the antifreeze.

i laughed

she freaked and drove it straight too a mechanic to drain and flush her system. and it drives good now

but i guess since you have already gone through the step of driving it, i think its best if you tow it to a shop that knows legends and just hope you didnt screw your engine

-1991 Acura Legend -
JDM swapped Type I
Telion Chiped
18" Rays G-Games
Wabro 255lhp-hp Fuel Pump
Custom Intake
EGR Blocked off
Lowered by oldage
JDM headlights
Pioneer System
Legendracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)