bad ignition switch?? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

╗ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-08, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 acura legend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question bad ignition switch??

95 leg ls 4 dr. ls
turn key to acc position radio works, turn to second position lights should come on at dash ,, but do not come on. turn key a hair farther as if to start but not fully and dash lights come on , turn fully to start, and car runs for a second. does this sound like a bad key switch?

car also has a remote start, remote starts just fine and stays running until i touch brake, then engine shuts down. i disabled the remote start by turning toggle switch to off postion to try to narrow it down. car still wont start.

would appreciate any help
95lgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-08, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Legend 6-spd
Car 2: 2004 Tahoe

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
Sounds like a typical bad ignition switch.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
A 15yr O.G. Owner!

Car 1: 1993 Black Legend L Coupe w/mild mods
Car 2: 1993 Lexus ES300
Car 3: 2000 Lexus LS400

OE Service Ignition Switch
1994-1995 Acura LegendElectrical Portion.
FITS (Engine/Chassis) SKU PRICE QTY
1994-1995 Acura Legend W0133-1613318 $69.95

http://www.overnightautoparts.com/ac...on-switch.html
Big Boi (LS 400 Lexus) & Little Homey (Legend L Coupe)
Acural53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

is there a way to tell if i need the electrical portion or the key cylinder portion. the key portion has a good amount of play or wobble in it. car has 174,000.
thank you for the replys
Old 01-27-08, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 03 GS300, LS430 coming
Car 2: 95 GS3 sold,SC250TT
Car 3: 02 DENALI

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
no u don't need the key cylinder it usually the electrical portion that goes bad. And u can replace it yourself it will take you 5 min.GL

SC250TT 350RWHP
JZS160, JZS147 SOLD,
QuickLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 11:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLegend View Post
no u don't need the key cylinder it usually the electrical portion that goes bad. And u can replace it yourself it will take you 5 min.GL
that was going to be my next question, can a novice mechanic change it ,otherwise i have to call a towtruck to tow it to a shop. also i read a realated link here that said the whole steering columb had to come down to change it?
maybe i was reading something from a g1 legend? does anyone have pictures or other info i could refer to as a guide while i'm changing it?

thanks
Old 01-28-08, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: '94 Blk/Blk Legend GS / Sold to Nightshift
Car 2: '07 Toyo Sienna Ltd
Car 3: '08 Lexus GS 460

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95lgd View Post
that was going to be my next question, can a novice mechanic change it ,otherwise i have to call a towtruck to tow it to a shop. also i read a realated link here that said the whole steering columb had to come down to change it?
maybe i was reading something from a g1 legend? does anyone have pictures or other info i could refer to as a guide while i'm changing it?

thanks
Nah, you don't have to drop down the whole steering wheel columb unless you have to, but the deal here the ignition switch's located in a very tight place at the end of key cylinder portion and if you could SSSqueeze your hand in there to unscrew 2 screws that hold the electrical portion then you're half way home.
ptan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
has left the building

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLegend View Post
5 minutes, my ass. Try about an hour at least, maybe 2, particularly if there's an alarm wired into it. Takes longer than 5 minutes to get the goddamn molex plug disconnected from the fuse panel and the screws that hold the switch element in are a bitch to get to because they are at a real awkward angle.

Obviously, you've never done one and have just heard people talk about doing it. I've done 3 of them and they are a major PITA unless you have a real jones for lying on your back in the driver's side footwell looking up into a rat's nest of wiring.

People need to quit giving out garbage advice unless they have first hand experience.
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yep, been there done that. I feel you Steve. It took me more than 1.5 hours just to remove and put that electrical switch back in place, not to mention about the after market alarm. 5 min is just rediculous insufficient time and impossible to to get it done specially lying on your back in the driver's side footwell looking up into a rat's nest of wiring, yeah: be my guest ... 5 min ...
Old 01-28-08, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
has left the building

I feel ya, my brother. Hell, you can't even get the underdash panel & steering column covers off in 5 minutes!
Old 01-28-08, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
I feel ya, my brother. Hell, you can't even get the underdash panel & steering column covers off in 5 minutes!
Haha. +1. it's true. Well, good luck 95lgd and keep us posted.
Old 01-28-08, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan1968 View Post
Nah, you don't have to drop down the whole steering wheel columb unless you have to, but the deal here the ignition switch's located in a very tight place at the end of key cylinder portion and if you could SSSqueeze your hand in there to unscrew 2 screws that hold the electrical portion then you're half way home.

i knew this wouldnt be easy, i bought the electrical portion from local acura dealer, 65.00 out the door. i got the 2 screws out from key cylinder portion in a few minutes with a short phillips head. now i cannot tell were the other end is/ goes?? it looks like it goes over the top of the steering columb to the left and plugs into a small thin wired connector, (i must be looking at it wrong) because its diff. than the part they gave me. it is extremely difficult looking upside down at that maze of wires (with aftermarket alarm lol!). WERE DOES THE OTHER END GO? does it go to the inside fuse box? or on on the floor, and what did someoe mean by removing steering columb covers? does it plug in there?
help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-08, 04:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95lgd View Post
i knew this wouldnt be easy, i bought the electrical portion from local acura dealer, 65.00 out the door. i got the 2 screws out from key cylinder portion in a few minutes with a short phillips head. now i cannot tell were the other end is/ goes?? it looks like it goes over the top of the steering columb to the left and plugs into a small thin wired connector, (i must be looking at it wrong) because its diff. than the part they gave me. it is extremely difficult looking upside down at that maze of wires (with aftermarket alarm lol!). WERE DOES THE OTHER END GO? does it go to the inside fuse box? or on on the floor, and what did someoe mean by removing steering columb covers? does it plug in there?
help!!!!!!!!!!!
That's it, you got it my friend, the other end goes to the fuse box, a flat head screw driver will be easier to help you push down the locking tap while trying pulling the whole ignition wires out. Once you plug the good one in, try to crank the car up and take care the aftermarket alarm later if you have it there (just copy the way the alarm wired to the new ignition switch: cut & slice wires and you're done).
Old 01-28-08, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend Enthusiast

Car 1: SOLD: 1995 Coupe LS 6-Speed Milano Red

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
I've been there last month, and it sucked ass. I would turn the ignition all the way to III for start and it would not hold and go back to II. My dad had to sit in the passenger seat and hold it at III while I carefully drove the few blocks to Acura. It cost bank in labor, due to them having to re-wire the aftermarket Viper alarm.

Good luck with that.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 05:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
has left the building

You'll have to trace the old one back to where it plugs into the fuse box. I think it's up in the top RH side of the box. Removing the steering column garnish just gives you more room to work.

Guess this has taken longer than 5 minutes. God, I'm such a smartass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)