The BHG verdict on the 3.5 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-07, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: White 91 KA8 5spd W/3.5, TII Cams & Manifold
Car 2: White 91 KA8 JDM TII

iTrader Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Telion Send a message via MSN to Telion Send a message via Yahoo to Telion
The BHG verdict on the 3.5

Yes the 3.5 can get a blown head gasket and yep mine did atleast a seeping one

But she is on her way to being ok

And here is a shot of the TI that believe it or not did run up to the moment I pulled it not sure WTF was goin on with this but it couldn't have been good oh and the other side of it had a blown headgasket too. It had issues when I bought it becuase I planned on pulling it here is the very issue 1/2 anyway
3.5 TwinTurbo,TII springs & manifold,Telion Chip, HID's, D2 coilovers,Addco bars,TII calipers,RH C2's,R.J. shifter, 3"exhaust, hiflow cat,StageIII clutch,S&D rotors,KVR pads,Blackend damper,CF hood,AFC NEO,AEM FIC,Aluminum pulley,C&R Racing radiator,Garrett T3/T4 Turbos,Tial wastegates,Topfuel BOV,Fujita filters & Prosport guages. Pretty damn fast and far from done.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-07, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: KA7 Legend sedan, 5 speed manual

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Ouch ='(

-8000K HID low-beams/PIAA Spark 8000 high-beams/PIAA Plasma GT-X corners
-Type II brakes/some weight reduction/new tires every 4-6 months
-NA1 NSX wheels: Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50V-16R in front, Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/60V-15R in rear
-Custom built six-puck kevlar clutch/Lightened (aluminum) pulleys
-[Mugen/Showa] suspension with remote-adjustable dampers
-C35A1/C32A1 hybrid swap; smog legal (by GreenLight Auto)
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 01:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Legend Anti-Christ

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe LS
Car 2: 1984 Jaguar XJ6

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The Crowing Send a message via MSN to The Crowing Send a message via Yahoo to The Crowing
Any can can get a blown head gasket. Damn though, that looks like a bad one. Ouch indeed.
The Crowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: White 91 KA8 5spd W/3.5, TII Cams & Manifold
Car 2: White 91 KA8 JDM TII

iTrader Score: 45 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Telion Send a message via MSN to Telion Send a message via Yahoo to Telion
Quote:
Originally Posted by C32A5 View Post
Any can can get a blown head gasket. Damn though, that looks like a bad one. Ouch indeed.
The third shot is actually my TI that I have out of comission on an engine stand. but the BHG on the 3.5 was actually very small, but now that I have the engine out and trying to replace any parts that may need replacing down the road I am having a very difficult time restraining myself from getting the OBX headers being that I may not be in as good of a position to do so down the road; especially since I know they will produce gains and be beneficial Grrrrrrrrr. There is still a hint of curiosity as to whether or not they will fit too. I know the TI headers fit because they were on the car already but I don't think anyone else with a 3.5 has the OBX ones.
3.5 TwinTurbo,TII springs & manifold,Telion Chip, HID's, D2 coilovers,Addco bars,TII calipers,RH C2's,R.J. shifter, 3"exhaust, hiflow cat,StageIII clutch,S&D rotors,KVR pads,Blackend damper,CF hood,AFC NEO,AEM FIC,Aluminum pulley,C&R Racing radiator,Garrett T3/T4 Turbos,Tial wastegates,Topfuel BOV,Fujita filters & Prosport guages. Pretty damn fast and far from done.
Telion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post

But she is on her way to being ok

mmmmm... I love how clean the parts look before reassembly. It sort of makes me want to take the engine apart just to clean it...

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
what!

Car 1: 95 LS Coupe 6 spd
Car 2: 02 TT225 Quattro 6sp
Car 3: 94 L Cpe 6spd - sold

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to kotetu Send a message via AIM to kotetu Send a message via MSN to kotetu Send a message via Yahoo to kotetu
what conditions and what behavior led to your BHG? others will need to know how far you pushed it. What chip were you running, etc?
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 91 LS Black window trim EDM/Hids Remus 2 1/2 cat back Headers stage 3 ecu
Car 2: ,Red tails, Type 2
Car 3: 6 speed, EDM spoiler

iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
The third shot is actually my TI that I have out of comission on an engine stand. but the BHG on the 3.5 was actually very small, but now that I have the engine out and trying to replace any parts that may need replacing down the road I am having a very difficult time restraining myself from getting the OBX headers being that I may not be in as good of a position to do so down the road; especially since I know they will produce gains and be beneficial Grrrrrrrrr. There is still a hint of curiosity as to whether or not they will fit too. I know the TI headers fit because they were on the car already but I don't think anyone else with a 3.5 has the OBX ones.
Please, try it. Let us know, cause when time comes for swap, I want to keep my headers, best mod yet!
blkonblkcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: CL-S (Daily Driver)
Car 2: ObsidianBlack KA8

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Socol
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotetu View Post
what conditions and what behavior led to your BHG? others will need to know how far you pushed it. What chip were you running, etc?
+1

Socol's Basic Website
Socol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
has left the building

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
OK, then this raises the question of why do we never hear of BHG in RL's? There has to be something fundamentally different in the RL cooling system that prevents that from happening. Are we now talking about radiator capacity? If so, the next logical step is that the Legend radiator is undersized for the amount of heat dissipation needed which is a major design flaw. Taking that one step further, will an RL radiator fit a Legend?
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 91 LS Black window trim EDM/Hids Remus 2 1/2 cat back Headers stage 3 ecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
OK, then this raises the question of why do we never hear of BHG in RL's? There has to be something fundamentally different in the RL cooling system that prevents that from happening. Are we now talking about radiator capacity? If so, the next logical step is that the Legend radiator is undersized for the amount of heat dissipation needed which is a major design flaw. Taking that one step further, will an RL radiator fit a Legend?
Good point, everthing else sure looks the same, any way?
Old 09-19-07, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
has left the building

Hose placement is practically the same as well as block & cooling jacket design. All that's left is the water pump & radiator. I'd sure like to see a comparison between the radiator/WP on an RL & the ones on a Legend, particularly capacity.
Old 09-19-07, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
what!

Car 1: 95 LS Coupe 6 spd
Car 2: 02 TT225 Quattro 6sp
Car 3: 94 L Cpe 6spd - sold

iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to kotetu Send a message via AIM to kotetu Send a message via MSN to kotetu Send a message via Yahoo to kotetu
Or RL owners drive like 90 y/o grandmas?
kotetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Hose placement is practically the same as well as block & cooling jacket design. All that's left is the water pump & radiator. I'd sure like to see a comparison between the radiator/WP on an RL & the ones on a Legend, particularly capacity.
Well, if RL swaps' start blowing HG's, you can bet it's cause of the legend radiators. But, so far it's only happened once, that we know of anyway!
Old 09-19-07, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend Anti-Christ

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe LS
Car 2: 1984 Jaguar XJ6

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to The Crowing Send a message via MSN to The Crowing Send a message via Yahoo to The Crowing
Capacities:

91 Legend Auto/Manual
Overhaul: 2.3 gallons

96 RL
Overhaul: 8.6 litres (2.27 gals, approx)

So the capacities are just about the same.

Torque specs:

Legend:

RL:

AH HA!
Legends require a torque of 78 NM, whereas the RL only requires 76 NM. That MAY be the reason. I'll keep looking into this.
The Crowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-07, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
has left the building

Good stuff, so far. I would like to see the capacity of the actual radiator itself, if anybody can find that. Interesting that the RL head bolt TQ specs out less than a Legend. I know Diaz went up to 62 ft/lbs on his HG rebuild.

There's something we're missing here. I'm just not sure what it is. We never hear of a 3.5 BHG until it gets stuck in a Legend. Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)