Blown Head Gasket? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-09, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: '93 Acura Legend LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Blown Head Gasket?

When you have a blown head gasket is it necessarily true that your engine will heat so badly that you will not be able to drive it at all because the engine will quickly heat up within 5 minutes or less?

OR

Has anyone experienced needing their Second Gen. Legend 3.2L engine to run for about 30 mins or more before the blown head gasket problem causes the engine to heat up?
chuckymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-09, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda Legend KA7

If the HG is only seeping, you might not notice anything except from some loss of coolant. Bleeding the system frome time to time will help.

If the HG is damaged badly, the cooling system will pressurize within some few minutes after the engine has been started. In this situation, it should not be used before replacement of the HG. Driving it without proper cooling will cause warped heads and cylinder block.
Daniel_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Legend 6-spd
Car 2: 2004 Tahoe

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
^+1, many people have driven their cars with leaking head gaskets for months and thousands of miles by just keeping their coolant level up on a daily/weekly basis depending on the size of the leak.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: '93 Acura Legend LS

Got it! Thanks, guys!

One mechanic told me that I have a blown head gasket because when he removed the radiator cap he said the coolant was bubbling which is a sign that I have a blown hg. That was earlier this year and I asked you guys how much it'll be for a hg job which I rec'd great recommendations. I'm still rolling and haven't needed to have the hg job done, but the task has been in the back of my mind for a while. I don't drive the car for hours b/c I'm afraid of the car overheating.

The other day, another mechanic told me that if I have a blown head gasket the car would heat up so quickly that it would be undriveable. I've never had to constantly keep coolant in the car. My coolant level has been constant from what I can tell.

It's at the shop now because of a pin hole in one of the heater hoses in the top rear of the engine. You have to remove the brackets just to get to the little rascal.
chuckymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 11:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda Legend KA7

As long as
-you do not have to bleed the system
-you do not have to add coolant
regularly, I would not expect the HG to be bad.
Daniel_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Altima R.I.P
Car 2: 94 Legend Sedan

my car has a over heat issue as well. I start up my car, idle normal, after driving awhile in high way, i heard water boiling sound, also i heard metal noise when i turn on the heat, but i never heard it again if i turn off the heat. The pin always climb up to 3/4 or 3.5/4 . Will that be the thermostat of water pump?
Tigerlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-09, 04:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
MAD DOG!

Car 1: 97 honda prelude
Car 2: 92 LEGEND LS

i probably ran it close to a year... by the time i finally replaced it i was up to 2gals of water every 25-30 miles... so i full up water when i leave for work. after work i refill the water before heading home and pray i dont hit any traffic..lol i dont miss those days at all
Old 01-04-10, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 ACURA LEGEND

to prevent this coming from a guy that had 2 head gasket jobs done use acura dealer parts and honda coolant since then no problems
bballsfinest21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 07:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Your gasket has a tear in it, probably at the corner of the head, it won't be long before you will be replacing that gasket. As far as a major rebuild, if I were going to pull the top of the motor, then I'd be looking at wear in the valve train and probably dropping the oil pan, to look at the bottom half of that engine.
CarolynMears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 KA7 - 5 SPD - BLK/TAN, Frost White

Always check your radiator hoses for pressure. I didn't suspect a bhg myself but it always. The only noticeable sign I had was pressure in the lower radiator hose into the thermostat even without a thermostat. I replaced the radiator and thermostat to find out the car had a seeping hg in between the vacuum and coolant lines preventing flow of coolant into the motor.

I've had it up to the red bar when it overheated. Since I did my own hg job the most my car would overheat to was 3/4 and that was because a valve blew behind the motor and I lost too much coolant.

Your temp should always be constant if your cooling system is working correctly. If you eliminate the cooling system from equation, you have a bhg.

Ah and my car never lost coolant.
WickedShepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)