BLOWN HEAD GASKET - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-02, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Carbon Black Metallic 6-Speed Coupe
Car 2: 2007 Audi A6 4.2

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Unhappy BLOWN HEAD GASKET

Well.... the news was broken out to me by my mechanic today and I'm in shock now. My #6 cylendar has a blown head gasket

In the past few months I've had my coolant overheat on me several times when idling but lately I've been having it alot more often, the worst was once I had it on the highway and had to pull over as it shot to red zone. I bleeded the system many times but air kept getting in there. I had a new rad put in a couple of months ago since the old one was cracked. I told them to do a pressure test today on the cooling system but they also conducted some tests that check the chemical mixture of the coolant which showed evidence of a head gasket problem.

I was going to have my car in next week to get a set of headers made (if any of you guys remember my atempt to get a GB going) but I have to scrap that project out as well as scrap my other projects I had coming like rims, shocks and springs

THe mechanic quoted me $1500-$2000 CND to do the job ($935-$1250 USD) to do the job. He's already done 6 G2 Legend engines before with the same problem. Does this quote sound fair?

Since I have to rip apart the engine, I might as well do some internal work. What parts do you guys recommend in respect to pistons, rods, etc? Is it worth doing a port and polish job? Where is the best place to get these parts? I want to build this engine up strong dammit!

Those of you who had a blown head gasket, was it also on your #6 cylender? My mechanic told me most of the ones he worked on was the same cylender.

What other suggestions do you guys think I should do while the engine is opened up? Should I do a complete overhaul? My mechanic did not recoomend that as the entire bottom end is strong and has no problesm with it so I probably just want to replace parts on the top end.

Any help/advice would help!

G <--- in a state of shock

1995 Legend Coupe 6-speed
Carbon Black Metallic

208 WHP @ 6250 RPM
189 FT/LB @ 5250 RPM
MUSTANG Dyno
260,000mi and counting

WeaponR Secret Weapon Intake - Cold Air Box - Custom 2.5" stainless exhaust system - Remus Rev3 Universal muffler -SPEC Stage II clutch - 5speed flywheel - SR5GUY Chip - APEXi S-AFC - Pullies - MLS copy strut bar - Short Shifter -18" ICON W65 Wheels - KONI reds/Ground Controls - Slotted Brembo Rotors - SS Brake lines - Walbro 255 -ICE
theGodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-02, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Please get a second opinion. That seems a little high for a head gasket, figuring I bought my Type II engine for $800. Parts to do a head gasket job couldn't possibly be more than $200. so call around, you'll probably get a better deal. If not, then try to talk the mechanic down at least a little bit. hope I help a little. my condolenses to your Legend.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 LS Coupe, 6 Speed

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to hear that...

My head gasket job cost me 13 hours labour, $500 for the acura head gasket kit, and a pair of aftermarket O2 sensors ($420), so all together about $1700CDN.... but that was with those stupid O2 sensors that went bad after the job was done. My mechanics shop rate was also $54 an hour.. and I do recomend taking it to a person who has done the job before, because my mechanic said that there was alot involved in the job. His book said 10 hours labour, but it took him alot longer then that. Also, it ended up being that my block was cracked.. , so that sucked too. If you are going to get any hting done, get a port and polish and make sure you get a proper one done. I talked to a shop that quoted me like $700... and then I talked to a specialty engine shop that quoted me close to $2000, and that included every possible apect of the job... phone around TO and you will find out what I mean...

I wish you good luck on the repair
Mckenzie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
H*h H*h, Yo* Sa*d Member

Car 1: 94 6-Speed Coupe

Unhappy

Shiznit! I bought a Japanese car because it was supposed to be more reliable. I have already put hundreds of dollars into fixing it already, and there is more to be done in the near future. Now I'm looking at $1300 possibly for a new head gasket? Ugh. I heard someone complaining of smoke coming out of the tailpipe and it being indicative of this problem. I have a little bit of smoke coming out now, but it's pretty light. I assumed this was normal until now. This is horrible. It seems these 6-speed coupes break pretty easily.

For instance, I have some kind of rattle underneath my car that the dealer said would cost $500 to fix... There is also this annoying "whinny" when I let out the clutch pedal at idle. Anyone else have this?

Godfather, I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations at this time. Good luck.

And to think, I had a 91 Camaro with 100,000+ miles and it went through inspection with no problems and ran wonderfully.

Sincerely,
J520
jason520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
Jason are you the original owner? Hodnas tend to be very reliable when they are taken care of properly. However, if you don't know what the previous owner did to it... that's always a problem.
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
Quote:
Originally posted by jason520

For instance, I have some kind of rattle underneath my car that the dealer said would cost $500 to fix... There is also this annoying "whinny" when I let out the clutch pedal at idle. Anyone else have this?

And to think, I had a 91 Camaro with 100,000+ miles and it went through inspection with no problems and ran wonderfully.

Ok...
Like any car, it is on only as good as the last owner..HG blowing mainly come from an oversight - overheating normally is the culprit.
I ran over 230k on my motor and didn't blow my HG...but I decided to do the swap since I was swapping the AT. AND it was still running strong (drove it ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Did a 1200 mile to Memphis 2 months before the swap.!

Your rattle is probably your heat shield over your cat = FREE - $5.00, NOT $500!!

the whinny, well, how many miles on your clutch?
That could be a part of your normal wear and tear.

You made a good move, just take care of your ride.....gotta pay the cost to be the boss
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 LS Coupe 6sp
Car 2: 08 Smart Fortwo Conv

Send a message via AIM to jose3030
The Don,

My sincere condolences about the Legend.
It's expensive, but it's like, you gotta do it, you need a car.

Either way, let me know how it all turns out.
This aint the death of a Legend.
It's the renewal of............

Take it easy.
Old 03-12-02, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Carbon Black Metallic 6-Speed Coupe
Car 2: 2007 Audi A6 4.2

Thanks for the support guys!

I have one important quesiton, how safe is it to drive around with a blown head gasket? I've probably been driving with it for the last couple of months, so what is two more weeks or so of driving going to do? My mechanic told me I can still drive, but he highly recommends doing the repair soon. He mentioned as long as I watch the temperature it should not progress much further. I know I can be risking a cracked head but I cannot afford to get the car right away into the shop for this operation. It is a necessity which I will have to be very careful until I put it in.

Just for forther information, I have 222,000 km (140,000 mi) on this engine which I purchased it at 196,000km (122,000 mi) last May. I babied the car since I got it but damnit! who knows how the previous owner neglected her!

Well, I'm going to have to spend a couple of weeks doing research, ordering parts and finding a good deal, yet a very good mechanic. My mechanic has done head gasket jobs on at least 6 G2 Legends so he can do it with his eyes closed, but I don't know if he's ever port n polished before.

I'll keep you guys posted.

G

1995 Legend Coupe 6-speed
Carbon Black Metallic

208 WHP @ 6250 RPM
189 FT/LB @ 5250 RPM
MUSTANG Dyno
260,000mi and counting

WeaponR Secret Weapon Intake - Cold Air Box - Custom 2.5" stainless exhaust system - Remus Rev3 Universal muffler -SPEC Stage II clutch - 5speed flywheel - SR5GUY Chip - APEXi S-AFC - Pullies - MLS copy strut bar - Short Shifter -18" ICON W65 Wheels - KONI reds/Ground Controls - Slotted Brembo Rotors - SS Brake lines - Walbro 255 -ICE
theGodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
*has*ng w*nd

Car 1: zenki=funner

Damn that sux, I think if you decide to ride it is to make sure you got enough coolant to last your trip. Unplugging the spark plug from that cylinder could help free up the pounding in that area. But I think driving it is a bad idea unless you were stranded in a mil of nowhere and needing to get home cuz a leak in a system means the coolant could boil at a lower temp and loses its cooling efficiency and so your entire engine block is cooking at a higher temp. That's just my intuition so hopefully someone can confirm that around here.
PS I recall that most HG problems are from cylinder #3, passenger/firewall side.

Last edited by Nathan_Rd; 03-12-02 at 01:24 AM.
Nathan_Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
:beer*h*g:

Car 1: 92 Platinum Coupe sold| 1999 3.5 RL

Send a message via Yahoo to Platinum Legend 92
mY LEGEN HAS ABOUT 230,000 MILES ON IT ....i AM SO SCARED SOMTHINGS ABOUT TO HAPPEN TO IT ...ITS RUNNING VERY WELL BUT THE MILES!!!!!! WHAT YALL THINK I SHOULD DO????
Platinum Legend 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

??

As long as the temp gauge doesnt go in the red area isnt it okay to drive? I have another leak in my radiator and I been just adding coolant and water to my car and the temp gauge stays normal. Is that safe to do?
Zenetti_Lgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
*r**h *eller

Car 1: 07 TSX
Car 2: 08 Odyssey
Car 3: The roller skate

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dave C ver2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Dave C ver2.0
Quote:
Originally posted by baddasslegend92
mY LEGEN HAS ABOUT 230,000 MILES ON IT ....i AM SO SCARED SOMTHINGS ABOUT TO HAPPEN TO IT ...ITS RUNNING VERY WELL BUT THE MILES!!!!!! WHAT YALL THINK I SHOULD DO????
You must sell your car to me for $5.
Old 03-12-02, 11:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Blk LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Badass, all I can say is brace yourself and be ready....Sorry, but thats the way it is, because in all reality, are you ready..., cars aren't made to last forever and 230,000 miles, well,..... translate that in human years, its about 95 and the only reason your car is still going is because you love it so. Man, I sure hate to say this, *sigh* *sigh* your car....I can't. Here's some encouragement dude, when the engine dies buy another one (type II) put your mods on it and ride the car another 10yrs man.....its all good

Unlike us humans we can revive our cars when they die if we aren't ready to part with'em thats the nice thing about machines.

So tell me what contributes to a blown head gasket??
Old 03-12-02, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
*al*forn*a Legend L*v

Sorry to hear about that. I know how u feel b/c in my previous posts I had the same discussion. It turned out now that I have 2 cracked rads (yes, even the new rad I ordered). I did get quotes from 2 places about the cracked HG. One said 1,200.00 and the other one said 1,000.00. I wish & ur Legend the best .

Latin...................
Indiglo Emblems - Neon Washers - Cooler In The Trunk

:::Coming Up Mods::::::~
Tint - Intake - Remus - Tires - Rims
Body Kit - And many more....
Legend_Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
dude its no big deal, just park the car and start to tear the head off. bag and label all bolts so you remeber. the head gasket is like 50 bucks, u might as well replace the timming belt water pump and tensioner pulley while your at it. it will take time but cost you nothing, but parts. i have to do it again to the beast ive got a smal headgasket leak again too, but its all good.

try some alumaseal first.

~Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)