broken tranny/engine mount symptoms - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-07, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend L Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
broken tranny/engine mount symptoms

what are the symptoms of a faulty or broken tranny/engine mount besides the obvious vibration while moving/parked? my car has been very shaky lately...very shaky
kNUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-07, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Is tired of fanboys
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Bugz Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: 94' ka7 cashmere

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManOfBusiness
put it in reverse with brake applied you hear a thump, put it in drive you hear a thump, 1st to 2nd shift extremely harsh. if you can get someone to put the car in gear while you look under the car you can actually see it move some.

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
ManOfBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Legend
Car 2: 72 Corvette
Car 3: 04 KTM 450 tard

Interesting. I have n low Speed wobble and it shifts pretty hard from first gear to second gear. CV axles are new. I will check the transmission mounts this weekend
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend L Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSINESSMAN07 View Post
put it in reverse with brake applied you hear a thump, put it in drive you hear a thump, 1st to 2nd shift extremely harsh. if you can get someone to put the car in gear while you look under the car you can actually see it move some.
i can actually see the mount move some?
kNUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Is tired of fanboys
Maze Game Champion, 3D Tunnel Champion, Anti Shanti Champion, Bartender Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Bubbles Champion, Bugz Champion, Adidas Climacool Champion, Falldown Champion, Flash Astroids Champion, Tank named Grizzly Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, KF 9000 Champion

Car 1: 94' ka7 cashmere

Send a message via Yahoo to ManOfBusiness
you can see and feel it shake. the mount can easily be replaced tho,

No Sig Worthy Posts... Here... At All...
ManOfBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Legend Coupe
Car 2: 06 Jeep Liberty
Car 3: 96 Accord

Which mount are you referring to...I'm assuming there's a common one that goes bad? I have Motor/Alldata here at the shop and there are probably 6 total mounts in the diagram.

I have a noticable shudder at low rpm in all gears (91 Coupe automatic) which goes away after 1500-2000 rpm. It is a little harsh into reverse and drive. I'd love it to be a mount and not the trans! I'd been thinking (hoping) it might be a mount and it kinda fits the mentioned symptom if say the rubber was gone from the rear mount. Hmmm...
extremedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

If it "clunks" when you put it in reverse it's a bad transmission mount.

The vibration issue you described is covered here
92 coupe-vibration at 1400-1600RPM
My 92 did it, but not my 94.
Old 11-16-07, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Interesting...does fit that description! More noticeable than I would figure for a "normal" characteristic (especially since I sit in a lot of traffic and it's more prominent then). But there ya go.

No clunk, so mounts prolly ok.

Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc View Post
If it "clunks" when you put it in reverse it's a bad transmission mount.

The vibration issue you described is covered here
92 coupe-vibration at 1400-1600RPM
My 92 did it, but not my 94.
Old 11-17-07, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

The first 3 years I owned my 92 Legend I was determined find what was causing that strange vibration. I was unable to find a problem on the outside of the engine and came to the conclusion the issue was either with the crankshaft or torque converter. There would be too much work involved to persue it further so I just got over it and accepted it. I think that I would be more of a problem in a manual transmission car.
Old 11-17-07, 12:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc View Post
The first 3 years I owned my 92 Legend I was determined find what was causing that strange vibration. I was unable to find a problem on the outside of the engine and came to the conclusion the issue was either with the crankshaft or torque converter. There would be too much work involved to persue it further so I just got over it and accepted it. I think that I would be more of a problem in a manual transmission car.
Just got out of the car and the vibration hits almost exactly at 1500, every time. I was convinced it was a trans shudder on upshift but now that I pay more attention it does it downshifting also. It's quite noticeable, I would have been amazed that if you bought one new it didn't drive you nuts. These things were'nt all that cheap back in the day! Maybe some were worse than others like you mentioned.
I do feel better not worrying about a possible trans issue. Bought the car cheap as a beater but liking it more every day, would love it to last a while. Digging all the little stuff like the steering wheel audio controls and heated mirrors!

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 11-17-07, 07:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Yeah BABY!

Car 1: 92 BLK/BLK LEGEND LS (Sold)
Car 2: 96 INTEGRA LS

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I changed out my rear tranny mount and it only helped the clunk a little bit, not completely. I've learned to live with it.

05 TL Wheels
OEM TL Hid's 4300k
JDM Eyelids
Clear Corners
OEM? Fogs
KYB GR-2's
Dropped
eBay Intake
V6 emblems
35% / 20% tints
Kenwood Sub
Dinero19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 01:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

I know this is old, but for anyone else that has the 1500 rpm shudder I found a fix. Mine was doing that but after replacing both axles it went away. The culprit was the seal on the differential where the inner cv joint attatches.
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-10, 04:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 camry le
Car 2: 91 acura legend

i geta thump between 20-15mph when the car is in d4 but not when the car is in d3 does anybody know if this is the same issue/fix? just had engine an trans swap, new mount all 5, control arms,ball joint inner/outer tire rod ends[ebay was like $150 4 a kit w/most everything] but i still get the thump. rack n pinion today.....im preyn tht it not the trans tht maken the noise engine n trans both have 73k on them dont wanna have 2 send eithr back w/ tht few miles.
Cme_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 05:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: ford

Hello,
At a stop, engine off, put the car in gear with the handbrake off. The car should only roll about an inch. If it rolls more then that, or you can see the engine rock with the hood up, you have most likely broken a mount someplace.by the way few weeks ago i changed my FRONT ENGINE MOTOR MOUNT. i bought it on a place on ebay in very reasonable rates and now it is working very good
maxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)