Car JERKS when switching to/from 1st GEAR, and Drive - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-02, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Car JERKS when switching to/from 1st GEAR, and Drive

My 92 Legend L 4 door has an annoying problem. It jeaks whenever i accelerate/decelerate to/from 1st Gear. It also happens when I switch from Park to Drive or Reverse on a cold start early in the morning. Its less obvious when the car is warm.

Ive had a few engine/trans mounts changed, and it seemed to help, but that was more than a year ago, and the problem seems more obvious now.

I had another problem a couple of times where the RPMs would "bounce" up from 1k to 2k while in IDLE. The mechanic said i didnt have enough coolant, and that a sensor was being tripped to tell the engine to rev higher. Not sure if its related to the above.

Any help ??
khanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-02, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Blk/BlkGS6

Car 1: '94 Black/Black Legend GS Sedan 6 Speed
Car 2: '92 Silver LS Coupe
Car 3: '94 Cashmere L Sedan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to legend4life Send a message via AIM to legend4life Send a message via MSN to legend4life Send a message via Yahoo to legend4life
the legend has a harsh shift from 1st to 2nd, there is nothing wrong with ur car if it does this
legend4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-02, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
that's true, when a automatic Honda transmission starts shifting softly, then you're gonna start having slippage problems.

It shifts hard to let you know that the car is alive!
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-02, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Member

I don't know guys it sounds like he has a problem.
It will always shift hard into second. Mine always has and any other legend I have driven does the same. I just replaced my tranny a couple of months ago. It was shifting funny into second and then would skip second alltogether. Have all your tranny mounts checked. It sound like you have already replaced at least one, but that is the easiest place to start.

Mods:
17" Vault Jade wheels (love them!)
Bridgestone Potenza RE950's
Brembo crossdrilled/vented rotors
Custom painted valve covers
clear corners/bumper lights
Nokya hid bulbs
Street Glow strobes
Definately more on the way

Stereo:
Eclipse 55040 head unit
Eclipse 21010 eq
Infinity Perfect 6.5 compnents (front)
Infinity Kappa 6x9 (rear)
Fosgate Bd 1000 (sub amp)
Fosgate 400a4 (mids and highs)
Two Kicker L7 10" subs
Fosgate 1 farad cap
Lightning audio wires and interconnects
Optima yellow top battery
Upgraded 160 amp alternator

Besides the fights with Indians and no running water Wyoming is great!
wyolegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

see my recent post in this board for "fluctuating idle"...your mechanic is probably correct. As for the jerking when putting into 1st gear from drive, not sure why you are doing this...when you drop it from 3rd or 4th gear into 1st, you put a tremendous strain on the drive train. The rpms of the engine will need to zoom up immediately at the moment you change from Drive to 1st gear at any particular speed, but the drive wheels are inducing this spinning rather than the engine....kind of like reverse thrusters! With an automatice it is not possible to rev engine to match gear selection like a manual. This will lead to problems with any number of components that are not supposed to be subjected to this routinely. If you "kick down" the tranny by flooring the gas pedal, you at least are providing the engine with some acceleration and gives it an opportunity to match rpm with gear train. Manual downshifting an auto regularly like this will wind up with damage to clutches and shock mounts and backlash gears in the drive train, including CV joints.
bigdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
LegendaryLegendz.kom

I've always had the same issue. Especially when it's cold. I think it's an OEM issue :cool: .
Regional Officer, NorCal Chapter
(916) 974 - PIMP (7467)

http://www.legendarylegendz.com/files/LLCCgifsig.gif
17" Enkei RF-1's,Nitto 450's (215/45), Eibach Prokit Suspension, Royal Blue Painted Calipers, Clear Corners, Clear Bumpers, Clear Side Markers, Halogen Fog Lights, Ice Blue Halogen Headlights, Body Tone Lower Trim, Body Tone Taillights, Tricked-Out Trunk Lid, Custom Mesh Front Grill, White Acura Emblems, Bulldog Remote Starter, Mugen Indiglo Gauges, Indiglo Pedals, Custom Trunk Enclosure, 12" Rockford Fosgate Subs, 160x4 Rockford Fosgate Amp., Kenwood KDC716S Deck, Kenwood 6976 6x9's, Kenwood 1377 - 5 1/4's, 1" Super Tweeters, Hardwired Bel Radar Detector, Fog Light Flap Custom Mesh, Cold Air Intake, Custom front and rear Speaker Grills, Brushed Aluminum dash kit, BREMBO Dimpled / Slotted Rotors, PBR Metal Master Brak Pads and an old skool Legend.org decal.
pYmpdaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-02, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hate that harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear...
Old 03-19-02, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
LPB

Car 1: 1992 Seattle Silver LS CPE
Car 2: 2007 Toyota Corolla
Car 3: 1981 Corvette

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
As already mentioned, the Legend has a firm upshift. You could try an A/T flush refilling with Honda A/T fluid. Check the idle adjustment. You should also make sure that your radiator has not started to leak or crack.
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)