Complete Engine Rebuild w/ pictures! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-05, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
*he K*ng

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Complete Engine Rebuild w/ pictures!

Well, I finally got the pictures up in reference to my other thread:

Other Thread About the engine rebuild....

Here are as many pictures as I can fit on this page, more are on imagestation, I will try to keep posting them here just in case no one has access.

Well first we pulled all the thousands of wires and hoses from the engine block. Disconnected the muffler and other various parts.
Out it goes:

Then we removed the transmission from the block. After that we remove the heads. (DONT BREAK THE KNOCK SENSORS! EXPENSIVE STUPIDITY). Needless to say, he broke a knock sensor even after I told him about it:

Then you remove the valve stem stuff until you get down to the meat, which is the pistons and the engine block. I decided to replace my piston rings and connection rod bearings for the engine block. I left the main bearings in because they tested out to be in good condition.

Here are some pictures of the block with no pistons and then some more pictures of the piston in the block with the pulley in the connecting rods. That thing is heavy!

After the main block was done we started on the top half, replacing the valve rings and seals along with cleaning as best we could with BRAKE CLEANER (don't know if that was stupid but it cleans well). The heads were filled with burnt oil. I also discovered my PCV valve was BLOCKED with burnt oil. So that was interesting, I had to scrap the oil out it was thick. I bought a new PCV valve. Or maybe it was EGR, sorry this is off the top of my head.

Then we replaced the head gaskets and other seals. The seals are a PITA do scrap off. I wish I would have paid the $300 to get the engine soaked, would have saved lots of time cleaning off the old seal.

Total the job cost me about $2,000. Only $300 was labor.

I replaced:
Seals, upper lower hoses, bolts for heads, piston rings, conn rod bearings, timming belt, water pump, EGR pipe, Knock sensor, oxygen sensors, head gaskets, heater hoses, and valve stems. (might be more but I cant remember).

The final question, was it worth it? Nope, I think I was better off just letting it die. I still get oil loss from some unknown location, b/c when I let the car sit overnight and I start it up I get blue smoke. Also I was hoping it would idle super quiet but I still can hear the engine and valves. BUT I will have to say it has more power and pick-up. I guess if I can go another 150,000 on the rebuild it would be worth it but right now I am wondering why I did it. LOL.

Go ahead and post questions if you want more pics go to my imagestation...
My Engine Rebuild

A note to DEADBEAT Sellers: I can't stand ppl that come on here and try to sell you parts and wait 2-3 weeks to even respond, or don't even give you the courtesy of even responding with a simple yes or no. If your life is so "busy" that you don't have time to attend to customers please don't waste our time posting stuff up for sale on the forum. STOP IT!!!!

Last edited by Extrovertz; 03-22-05 at 02:38 AM.
Extrovertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-05, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 acura legend

damn good work!!!
skate4ever999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 03:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Faster than yo Legend son

Car 1: 91 acura legend 4dr blck on blck
Car 2: 96 Chevy Tahoe 4x4

hummm what type of oil are you using??? also you could have used trans fliud to clean somethings
allhiphop.com

I endorse: when I endorse its like ceritified gold!
Nanowax - bring out the luster in your paint.
Duralube fuel injector cleaner - one of the best for under $20

Last edited by LegendGS; 03-22-05 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Remove quote.
DrWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 03:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pedobear is watching you

Car 1: 2002 TL-S, white
Car 2: 1992 Corvette

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tnelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfunk
hummm what type of oil are you using???
you quoted the entire post just for that??????? I really appreciated that, we all had to scroll down past all of that (which we already read) because you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and dont understand how to use the internet courteously.

Thanks,

The Rest of the Forum.
tnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 04:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Type I King

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan
Car 2: 91 LS Coupe 5 spd
Car 3: 95 LS 6 spd coupe

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Hotstartup Send a message via MSN to Hotstartup Send a message via Yahoo to Hotstartup
lol. dude how much is it costing u.
Hotstartup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnelson
you quoted the entire post just for that??????? I really appreciated that, we all had to scroll down past all of that (which we already read) because you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and dont understand how to use the internet courteously.

Thanks,

The Rest of the Forum.
Oh stop crying like a big azz baby like you loosing valuable time from something.. mann its just the internet, damm calm down.. and I forgot about the pictures.. matter of fact all the pictures didn't even show up for me when I quoted
allhiphop.com

Old 03-22-05, 04:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 92' C35 KA8 5spd
Car 2: 92' Ka8 5spd turbo

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to swift
Question question

Did you replace all the seals.....like the rear main seal. That where i have a small leak.

just curious. good job!! But i would always upgrade doing projects like that.

Also-How in the hell did it equal $2000??? I know the water pump kit costs like $274???

latta
-swift
swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pedobear is watching you

Car 1: 2002 TL-S, white
Car 2: 1992 Corvette

Send a message via AIM to tnelson
Quote:
Oh stop crying like a big azz baby like you loosing valuable time from something.. mann its just the internet, damm calm down.. and I forgot about the pictures.. matter of fact all the pictures didn't even show up for me when I quoted
too bad the mods deleted the quote. come on, act hard some more, i want another good laugh.
tnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-05, 04:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnelson
too bad the mods deleted the quote. come on, act hard some more, i want another good laugh.
laugh at yourself, and go get a life
allhiphop.com

Old 03-22-05, 04:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: '95LS Milano Red 6spd Coupe

Send a message via AIM to misdeismo
extrovertz, what was the condition of the headgaskets when you pulled the engine? Was there any indication of an impending headgasket failure?
Old 03-23-05, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
*he K*ng

Please Stop Crappin On My Thread. Thank You :d
A note to DEADBEAT Sellers: I can't stand ppl that come on here and try to sell you parts and wait 2-3 weeks to even respond, or don't even give you the courtesy of even responding with a simple yes or no. If your life is so "busy" that you don't have time to attend to customers please don't waste our time posting stuff up for sale on the forum. STOP IT!!!!
Old 03-23-05, 03:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
*he K*ng

Quote:
hummm what type of oil are you using??? also you could have used trans fliud to clean somethings
Right now I use Mobile One Full Synthetic 5w-30. Never thought of trans fluid as a cleaner. The brake cleaner did good but still didn't losen old seals, I had to take a blade and carefully cut the old seal off.

We used silicon sealant forget what it is called and lock tight on some of the bolts so what ever is on there now is on there for a long time.
Old 03-23-05, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
*he K*ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstartup
lol. dude how much is it costing u.
Ya it was $2000 including the labor. The piston rings and bearings are around $550, then add in everything else bit by bit. The knock sensor was like $100+ for a tiny bolt size piece, has a super sensitive microphone on it I guess. Plus it was $400 for the seal kits with HG.

It really does have some sweet pick-up. Just wish I could get it to purrr like a kitty, some knock sounds. I guess I need to give it a break the car is over 14 yrs right.
Old 03-23-05, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
*he K*ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeismo
extrovertz, what was the condition of the headgaskets when you pulled the engine? Was there any indication of an impending headgasket failure?

Not sure if I had any holes, I didn't take the time to look, honestly I just wanted to redo them , they came in the kit and now I know that it won't bust on me...

Plus I bought new bolts and retorqued to 62 LBs so that is just preventive maintenece.

I bought two seal kits so I am pretty sure I got the rear main seal. At least I hope I did, I still cant pinpoint the leak, might be near the exhaust b/c if it sits overnight I get a puff of blue smoke, which is sad after all the money. Guess I should have taken it to a pro, this guy wasn't ASCE cert. but it was cheap labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)