Does MAACO do good body work? good paint matching? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-05, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Comptech'd 6 speed!!

Car 1: 2003 Acura CL-S 6 speed
Car 2: 91 Legend Coupe SOLD
Car 3: 91 Legend Sedan SOLD

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GuddLegend42
Does MAACO do good body work? good paint matching?

hey,
a new maaco body shop just opened up in town and is offering 50% off on paint jobs till the end of the month, from what i understand they are a chain shop so i assume some of u guys musta had work done there before. im thinking of getting both sides of my coupe painted and i wanted to know what u guys had to say in terms paint matching so they would match the hood and trunk of the car. let me know cuz im going in for a quote today, thanks!
GuddLegend42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-05, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend

Please don't take your car to them.....
RF Power Series T5001BD, T3002BD
Focal Polyglass Series front stage
Fi 12in subwoofer tuned to 32 hertz
monster cable wiring/Optima yellow top battery
batcap
60_cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Blast Billards Champion, Blast Billiards Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Mumu Champion

I dont know, I guess you should check with others and get a "how many liked" and "how many disliked" and decide that way.

I have a friend who had a tan hood on his dark green Legend and they color matched it pretty good. It looks great for what it is. I mean if you are just looking to match a mismatched body part it is okay, but if you are looking for a top notch type of deal, I dunno. You may need a custom shop.
QBoroLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports
3 Wheel Slot Machine Champion

Car 1: Blackend Motorsports
Car 2: 1995 LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Blackend Send a message via Yahoo to Blackend
DON'T DO IT!!! I had a Celica repainted at my local Maaco (assured by them that the paint code was matched) and when I got it back it had orange peel, and dust in the finish. When I complained to the manager, he said he would investigate and get back to me...never called me back. I tried to get him for 2 months after that and he never took my calls. Then I got into a wreck and my insurance paid to fix the damage at a reputable shop and the part they fixed did not even come close to matching the rest of the car. I wouldn't take a POS to Maaco for a paint job. Save up and get it done right the first time.

My $.02
Old 09-13-05, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car 1: 2004 Acura 3.5RL
Car 2: 2005 Chevy Tahoe z71

Send a message via AIM to J Witherspoon
stay away from maaco
J Witherspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Blast Billards Champion, Blast Billiards Champion, Cupids Crush Champion, Mumu Champion

I guess my friend got a hold of rare good maaco guys. But I have read bad stories here about maaco before, but seeing is believing and his hood looks fine. But that was in NYC and that was ONE shop.

HOWEVER, if the majority of these guys are saying, stay away - then I would just stay away.
QBoroLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Comptech'd 6 speed!!

well..as much as criticism as ill get for this..im taking my car to them. i went around to three or four different local shops plus maaco today and none could or would do what maaco would do for the money. i originally wanted rust grinded and filled on one panel, and a chunk cut out on the other side and then have both sides repainted and blended, then wetsanded and buffed. one place said theyd do this and take out any dents and dings on either side for 1450.

maaco said theyd cut out an even bigger piece of metal to be sure they got all the rust, then grind down the other side and take out every dint and ding on the whole car and give the whole car a brand new paint job. all this for 1200. i like this cuz i had lil scratches and dings here and there and i also dont have to worry about paint matching anymore. and it turns out that the guy thats gonna do the work on my car is an old high school buddy of mine, not to mention theyve got a 4 yr warranty on the paint.

so im takin my car to drop it off with them in the morning. my question for u guys is..is it worth it to get a clear coat on the car along with their brand new paint? its only another 100 dollars more to integrate a clear coat. even though theyd be makin more money off of me, the guys at maaco said it was really pointless to get a clearcoat. what do u think? i basically want more protection for the car cuz im gonna be moving to the boonies and will be driving on a dirt road for about 10 minutes to get to my house, a well kept dirt road but nonetheless a dirt road. let me know, thanks!

EDIT: By the way, they showed me couple of cars theyd just finished in the lot, and i saw one pulling out of the garage, and they all looked shiny and darn good to me. But let me know if u think a clear coat is needed..thanks

Last edited by GuddLegend42; 09-13-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
an older member

Car 1: '94 LS Desert Mist Coupe

Hey, you get what you pay for. I had my former '87 CRX Si totally refinished by Maaco with their "top" finish. Good, but not perfect. I'd never let them touch my Legend. For the little work I've had done on my coupe, I've taken it to a shop that specializes in Ferrari restoration and BMW/Jaguar work for dealers whose cars have been damaged in transit. Sure it costs more, but then it's a Legend.

- geez

RM Racing intake
Stromung catback exhaust
215/55WR16 Michelin A/S Pilot Sports
OEM CD changer
OEM fog lights & switch
OEM keyless entry
SmarTenna
28% titanium tint on rear & rear side windows
geez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 WHITE

i have had 4 cars painted by them. and all of them have been good. not perfect but they looked good. no orange peel. smooth. i got the clear coat on any color except white. white u dont realy need a clear coat cuz u can compound out the scratches(dirt) in the paint and then wax over it. anyway i would see how the other place is first cuz for saving 150$(if u go w./ clearcoat) it may be worth it in the long run if u plan on keeping the car. i cars i had done i sold. i only had one car i kept that they painted was my prelude and it still looks good w.o a clear coat 2 yrs later. also my fathers truck was only sprayed by them no body work for 300$ and 4 yrs later the paint still shines. the rust is comin thru but its an 89 econoline....anyway i hope that helped
deiz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Comptech'd 6 speed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiz91
i have had 4 cars painted by them. and all of them have been good. not perfect but they looked good. no orange peel. smooth. i got the clear coat on any color except white. white u dont realy need a clear coat cuz u can compound out the scratches(dirt) in the paint and then wax over it. anyway i would see how the other place is first cuz for saving 150$(if u go w./ clearcoat) it may be worth it in the long run if u plan on keeping the car. i cars i had done i sold. i only had one car i kept that they painted was my prelude and it still looks good w.o a clear coat 2 yrs later. also my fathers truck was only sprayed by them no body work for 300$ and 4 yrs later the paint still shines. the rust is comin thru but its an 89 econoline....anyway i hope that helped
Yea i mean i would go with the other shop and all, but Maaco is doing the whole car for me, that means paint matching wont be an issue and all the little things on the hood and trunk will be taken care of by them. im tempted to get the clear coat, or just possible get the normal deal and wax it twice a month and claybar it once a month or so, that way it'll def keep its shine. they told me if i didnt like how it turned out theyd repaint it for me, so i kinda see it as a win win situation.
Old 09-13-05, 01:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91sedan
stay away from maaco

tell him...

Maaco suxs
RF Power Series T5001BD, T3002BD
Focal Polyglass Series front stage
Fi 12in subwoofer tuned to 32 hertz
monster cable wiring/Optima yellow top battery
batcap
60_cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 92' White Sedan

Send a message via AIM to knucks3man
I didnt read through this, the replies.

So if I repeat something then o well.

Yes, maaco can do good work if you do the prep work yourself. Do a good prep job and they will give a respectable paint job. They don't do good body work or prep, they basically just shoot over whatever is there.

So with out you stepping in, you will get a sh*t job. Make an effort and save some money by going to maaco, buy your own tape as well. 3M only, nothing less period.
knucks3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 03:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chopper Challenge Champion

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucks3man
I didnt read through this, the replies.

So if I repeat something then o well.

Yes, maaco can do good work if you do the prep work yourself. Do a good prep job and they will give a respectable paint job. They don't do good body work or prep, they basically just shoot over whatever is there.

So with out you stepping in, you will get a sh*t job. Make an effort and save some money by going to maaco, buy your own tape as well. 3M only, nothing less period.
if you have the time to sand the car down yourself, then their painjobs dont look half bad. Their problem is that they dont do nearly enough prep work. Ive seen pics of this one Maaco job where they barely did any real prep work, and their chrome exhaust, taillights, and parts of the glass ended up covered in yellow paint
Banana! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-05, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chi-Town Legend (/\)

Car 1: '92 LS Coupe
Car 2: '03 Nissan Murano
Car 3: '00 BMW 740iL

I had a car done about 12 years ago and they did a horrible job. At the time I didn't care because it was a car that I really didn't like anyway. I took advantage of an offer they had going on at the time.

Fast forward to 2003. A friend of mine had his Prelude (white) painted there and while it did look good.......about 2 months later the paint started to peel/chip on both the front and rear bumpers, and on the moldings.

When you get your car back, please post pics an take some CLOSE-UP shots.
Old 09-13-05, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Comptech'd 6 speed!!

yea ill def post some pics, some before and after. the car looks like right now so im sure the difference will be drastic. and in terms of "u get what u pay for" its 1400 at the other place and 1200 at maaco, only because its half off on the painting part itself, which saves me 250. therefore without the deal (they just opened this month and have done 150 cars so far, theyre using this deal in the local paper to get the business i get), it would be costing me 1450 at maaco after the end of the month when the deal ends.

so the same price, except theyre gonna paint the hood, trunk, and roof as well..hey they said if i didnt like it that i could bring it back and theyd do it again for me..4 yr warranty on paint as well...doesnt that mean if it peels in 2months, not to mention 2yrs, they'll take care of it for me? i dont see why not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)