EGR valve cleaning - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-07, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
EGR valve cleaning

Here is my new issue.. When I'm on the freeway if I'm going about 55 mph and take my foot off the gas, the speed drops very noticeably. The mechanic said that my EGR system needed to be cleaned. He put some type of connector on to the EGR valve and said the readings showed that it was the EGR system. Is there anything that I can buy to clean the EGR system? Like maybe something to pour in the gas tank or something? Any suggestions as to what I can do? Have any of you experienced this problem?
elove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-07, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Legend Metal Head

Car 1: 1989 Acura Legend V6L Coupe (gone :'( )
Car 2: 2004 Cavalier LS

take off your egr pipe and clean the gunk out of it. look in the g2 section and do a search. you'll find directions, but all i can say is it's prolly a clogged egr pipe.
8n9ne Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Car 1: 1995 Legend LS Coupe

A few months ago on the TV show MotorWeek the guy was demonstrating a process that could be done at a garage where they had a device that introduced some kind of solvent that was supposed to clean out the EGR system. I searched the MotorWeek website & other places on the web & was not able to find any other reference. Seems like if there really was this type of process, it would save a lot of labor. People on this forum have described removing the EGR pipe for cleaning & it sounds like a real bear.
oldacura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Renaissance.

Car 1: 91 5MT LS, 310k
Car 2: 91 5MT LS, 208k
Car 3: 03 G35 sdn (wife's)

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
It is a pain. It connects near the bottom of the intake manifold. You'll need some ratcheting wrenches to save your sanity. To give you an idea,
Project I, Type I to Type II intake mani.: complete
whats77inaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Legend Coupe LS 6MT (Milano)
Car 2: 93 Legend Coupe LS
Car 3: 92 Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Does cleaning the EGR valve improve fuel economy? My car has the same condition as the OP Thanks
MXHalofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 02:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: Carless

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black Type II
subscribed...

1995 Milano Red LS 6SPD where are you?
Black Type II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dont Catch
100m Running Champion, Alpine Escape Champion, Emergency Champion, Flash Back Champion, Home Run Champion, Kill The Pop ups Champion

Car 1: 92 Integra

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bl420
http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html#9240

BG makes an EGR service tool

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2633.shtml

**Anti Alpine Type-R Thread**
bl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
has left the building

iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl420 View Post
^Good find. Now the trick would be to find somebody local that did that. Got any suggestions, B?
stevieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 11:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

I tried searching "EGR Cleaning Service Denver" & didn't find anything. I looked at the MotorWeek website & they recommend having your EGR system power cleaned every 30k miles but they don't give any hints on where to find this service.

If someone could find the service for a reasonable price, it sounds like it would be a lot less painful than removing the EGR pipe. However, it is hard to imagine a device that would clear out an EGR system that was completely blocked - how would the chemical start to flow to begin to dissolve the gunk?
Old 11-30-07, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
difficult to kill

Car 1: 1995 L coupe

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brynosaur
i have to wonder, wouldnt letting the egr clog itself up naturally be the same adding one of those 'egr block plates' a few people on here use? its pretty much the same effect haha
brynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 05:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldacura View Post
A few months ago on the TV show MotorWeek the guy was demonstrating a process that could be done at a garage where they had a device that introduced some kind of solvent that was supposed to clean out the EGR system. I searched the MotorWeek website & other places on the web & was not able to find any other reference. Seems like if there really was this type of process, it would save a lot of labor. People on this forum have described removing the EGR pipe for cleaning & it sounds like a real bear.
This sounds like a fuel system cleaning. If so, I had this done about 2 years ago at my buddys shop. Basically, they unplug the lines to the fuel pump and connect an attachment that pumps an extremely concentrated fuel cleaner thru the entire fuel system, removing a large majority of the deposits in the system. This would include the EGR if I'm not mistaken. The difference is immediate and very noticeable. I highly reccomend it to everyone.

Those fuel system additives they sell at autopart stores are so weak they really dont do much to clean out deposit buildup. Your better off saving your money for this job instead. I dont know how much it costs cuz my buddy only charged me his cost of the cleaner, which was about $40 for a small bottle. I believe it may run for $130+, of course this will vary depending on where you live. I think they reccomend you do it at least once every 8 years. I personally plan to do this every 4 years or so to keep my ride running smoothly.
95typeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't see how fuel system cleaning could clean out your EGR. Basically, the EGR is a pipe & valve that bleeds some exhaust gas from your exhaust system & introduces it back into your intake manifold - upstream of the injectors.

It really isn't connected to the fuel system at all.
Old 11-30-07, 10:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Legend Coupe LS 6MT (Milano)
Car 2: 93 Legend Coupe LS
Car 3: 92 Legend Coupe LS

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Curious if the egr valve affects fuel economy. Anyone?
MXHalofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 12:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dont Catch
100m Running Champion, Alpine Escape Champion, Emergency Champion, Flash Back Champion, Home Run Champion, Kill The Pop ups Champion

Car 1: 92 Integra

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bl420
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
^Good find. Now the trick would be to find somebody local that did that. Got any suggestions, B?
yup

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

**Anti Alpine Type-R Thread**
bl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: Carless

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black Type II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95typeII View Post
This sounds like a fuel system cleaning. If so, I had this done about 2 years ago at my buddys shop. Basically, they unplug the lines to the fuel pump and connect an attachment that pumps an extremely concentrated fuel cleaner thru the entire fuel system, removing a large majority of the deposits in the system. This would include the EGR if I'm not mistaken. The difference is immediate and very noticeable. I highly reccomend it to everyone.

Those fuel system additives they sell at autopart stores are so weak they really dont do much to clean out deposit buildup. Your better off saving your money for this job instead. I dont know how much it costs cuz my buddy only charged me his cost of the cleaner, which was about $40 for a small bottle. I believe it may run for $130+, of course this will vary depending on where you live. I think they reccomend you do it at least once every 8 years. I personally plan to do this every 4 years or so to keep my ride running smoothly.

what do u call this process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXHalofan View Post
Curious if the egr valve affects fuel economy. Anyone?
so i heard i need to find out myself somehow

1995 Milano Red LS 6SPD where are you?
Black Type II is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)