Gear shift is not smooth (car jumps a little when shifting) - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-08, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura Legend 94

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Gear shift is not smooth (car jumps a little when shifting)

Hello,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a 1994 Acura Legend with 130K miles. The car (automatic) is having a slight difficulty changing gears. There is a slight delay in the gear shift and then the car jumps a bit as the shift takes place. I notice that before the shift the RPM increases a lot, somewhere around 2500, and I think this causes the car jumping. If I accelerate till around 1600-2000 and then leave the gas pedal, then the gear shift is much smoother. I searched for similar problems on the web and found this (different car but I think same problem): Corolla Gear Problem

I wonder if I could have the same problem, like a computer problem (ECM). Is this a common issue? I read through some posts and people have been mentioning many people experience gear shifts that are not very smooth. If this isn't normal, what could be the problem, would it be OK to keep driving it like this? Thanks
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-08, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insert key, crank, BHG.

Car 1: '92 LS "December"
Car 2: 6MT Canterbury Coupe

iTrader Score: 16 reviews
Sounds like some kind of electronic issue. Is the D4 light in the cluster blinking? That would indicate a bad VSS(vehicle speed sensor).

I think OEM is the best look. I just don't happen to think any of the various arrangements of OEM got it exactly right all at once
Pinyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I already had the VSS replaced due to malfunctioning speedometer, but it didn't help to this particular problem (And D4 is not blinking).
Old 12-27-08, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Hey fellas. My 1994 GS has started doing that a bit recently. I have nearly twice as many miles (almost 259K). There are a couple of suggestions to smoothen the shifts. First (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) if you haven't already have the transmission flushed and then refilled. I do mine about every 12-18 months as I do A LOT of driving in a year. Second have your transmission mounts and engine mounts checked. I had one replaced when I first bought the car with about 102K on it. They will in time deteriorate and likely that's what you have now. They absorb the inertia similar to a shock absorber on the wheels. I've been told I need to basically replace ALL of mine and the parts are relatively expensive. I was priced over $700 for them all. Ebay sells them for around $450 a set but once you add the cost of labor (unless you can do them yourself) you'll still be looking at around $600-$700. Best of sucess on your car.
clb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 11:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb26 View Post
Hey fellas. My 1994 GS has started doing that a bit recently. I have nearly twice as many miles (almost 259K). There are a couple of suggestions to smoothen the shifts. First (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) if you haven't already have the transmission flushed and then refilled. I do mine about every 12-18 months as I do A LOT of driving in a year. Second have your transmission mounts and engine mounts checked. I had one replaced when I first bought the car with about 102K on it. They will in time deteriorate and likely that's what you have now. They absorb the inertia similar to a shock absorber on the wheels. I've been told I need to basically replace ALL of mine and the parts are relatively expensive. I was priced over $700 for them all. Ebay sells them for around $450 a set but once you add the cost of labor (unless you can do them yourself) you'll still be looking at around $600-$700. Best of sucess on your car.
These are the points I was going to bring up.

A simple transmission drain + fill (don't have it power flushed: it can cause problems) may help shift smoothness quite a bit. This is what I'd do:
DIY Transmission Service (Filter + Drain)
I'd advise Honda Genuine ATF from your dealer: these transmissions apparently take really good to the Honda Genuine fluid.

You could go a bit further and try this one:
4x Tranny Flush by Gil
I understand it works wonders.

Finally, check the car's mounts. Legends are notorious for breaking the rear transmission mount (my last one came out in 3 pieces when I went to have it replaced) but as they age, the motor mounts are probably not in prime condition either.

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I will have these done in the order you mentioned. Just a last question though; what happens if I keep driving like this, will it damage any parts in the car?
Old 12-28-08, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brooklyn Representer
Air Attack 3 Champion

Car 1: 94 Taffeta white L coupe
Car 2: 02 VQ35 6speed Maxi

iTrader Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to maracura91 Send a message via Yahoo to maracura91
never heard of damaged from the hard shifting from the Legend so far.
Old 12-28-08, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
Thanks guys, I will have these done in the order you mentioned. Just a last question though; what happens if I keep driving like this, will it damage any parts in the car?
Well, if these problems are not fixed by the things described above, you may have a transmission problem in which case the transmission may eventually wear out... but that's not by any means a sure thing.

For the most part, hard shifting's biggest harm is to the engine and transmission mounts and the transmission itself.

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
Bullseye Blaster 2 Champion, Bean Hunter Champion, Clover Crunch Champion, Fight Man Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Frantic Killer Champion, Froggster Champion

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to l4zy415 Send a message via MSN to l4zy415
Solenoids!!!!

17" DRAG DR-11 Rims/\Matador Red Paint/\Custom CAI/\LED Bright White Dash Lights/\Kenwood KDC-X590 Excelon Mp3 Deck/\Ford Taurus Coin/Cup Holder/\2 12" Kickers/\1800 Watt Kenwood Mono Amp/\Power Acoustic Capacitor/\Clear Rear Turn Signal/\Reverse Glow Gauges/\Swapped 88' Headlights to 89'-90'/\Swapped 88' seats to 89'/\JDM Rear Chrome Trim/\JDM Clear Corner/\JDM Power Folding-Heated Mirrors/\Stromung Muffler
l4zy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I would have the solenoids looked at next if you still have hard shifting. I know that's what the mechanics do on the Honda Accords from the same period. I've had something burn up (possibly a/c related) which had a STRONG SMELL and it gave the impression of a transmission malfunction as the car would just sit there before figuring out I had the gas pedal depressed. I IMMEDIATELY had the fluid flushed or should I say drained and then refilled at Express Oil (not so much recommended) then took it to my Acura mechanics when they opened on Monday. They gave it genuine Honda fluid and I've not had any sticking or anything else to indicate the transmission is malfunctioning and that has been around 6 months now. I'm pretty sure my mounts are gone as I can slightly hear and feel the shifts movement particularly on the rear mount. I did get about 155K miles out of that mount so I should be satisfied huh?!
clb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)