Heat problems - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-04, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Blue LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Heat problems

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem on my 1992 legend. When I turn the heat on, the climate control says 89 degrees. The air that comes out of the vents is only luke warm. It's not cold by any means, it just is not as hot as it should be. The air comming out is probably around 70 degress or so. My engine temp guage is fine so i'm pretty sure it's not the thermostat. After doing some searching i'm thinking it could be the heater valve is not opening all the way. Anyone have an tips or opinions? I'm not even sure where this valve is at on my car or how to check it.

Thanks,

Devin
Devin_9_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-04, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1997 Acura TL 3.2 Premium
Car 2: 2002 Acura 3.5 RL
Car 3: 1991 Honda Prelude

Bad heater core?

At first reading your post I was thinking there was a coolant problem, but that would result in the gauge going past the halfway mark. Keep us updated.
Ken1997tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
EDM Honda Legend Coupe

Car 1: '95 EDM Legend Coupe

Send a message via ICQ to MikeD Send a message via AIM to MikeD Send a message via Skype™ to MikeD
Devin,
you could be right about the HCV. Might be (but very rare), that you have an failed Heater Control Valve [HCV] or a cracked hose in the back of engine which is leaking. The HCV is located back against to the firewall, below the intake manifold. Here a pic... Heater Control Valve Location Heater Control Valve (Top View)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin_9_2004
i'm pretty sure it's not the thermostat.
Are you absolute sure? You know ho to test it?

Back to your problem: I don't believe that your HCV is the cause. I'm pretty sure you got air in the system. Time to bleed your system, unless you did it already. Here some links and how it work... Coolant Info. Here a link about Thermostat Check -Mike

Last edited by MikeD; 12-26-04 at 10:30 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
EDM Honda Legend Coupe

Car 1: '95 EDM Legend Coupe

Send a message via ICQ to MikeD Send a message via AIM to MikeD Send a message via Skype™ to MikeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1997tl
Bad heater core?
Oh no. I hope it's not the damn heater core. See Cole's heating problem. He has to remove the complete dash panel . You remember, Ken? -Mike
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
LPB

Car 1: 1992 Seattle Silver LS CPE
Car 2: 2007 Toyota Corolla
Car 3: 1981 Corvette

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Devin:

If you or someone replaced the heater hoses, the heater control valve could be out of adjustment. From under the hood, unclip the control cable and detach it from the valve body. Power up the heater control and blower to high. From under the hood, by hand move the valve shaft fully LT or RT. When you have ID the position of OFF (least or no heat) move the heater control slowly to Lowest temp position. Shut off control unit. Adjust the heater valve shaft so that you can reattach the cable end onto the heater valve shaft. Reattach the cable retaining clip. The heater should now be fully OFF.

Power up the heater control and slowly turn knob full ON. Check to make sure the cable has increased in length from its sheath and the heater valve arm has moved.
Wings West Spoiler w/LED
Clear Corner Lens
Clear Bumper Lens
Clear Rear Side Markers
Brembo X-Drilled/Slotted
Stainless Braided Brake Hoses
Focus 2500 Driving Lamps
Gold Pkg
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-04, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys I'll give it a try and let you know. I really hope it's not a bad heater core...
Old 12-27-04, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had the exact some problem. While it can mean the heater core, it can also mean you are low on coolant. When it gets about a quart or so low the coolant doesn't travel to the heater core and the heater doesn't get hot. And with this small of a loss this time of the year the car does not get hot.

If the overflow bottle appears OK, check the coolant in the radiator while cold and see if your are low. I had a leak in my cooling system, can anyone say head gaskets, that was not allowing the coolant to be sucked from the overflow bottle back into the radiator. Because the bottle was where it should be, I thought that the radiator was full when in fact it was not. I filled the radiator directly and had heat until the next time that the engine consumed radiator fluid below the requisite level in the cooling system.
Old 12-28-04, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
Oh no. I hope it's not the damn heater core. See Cole's heating problem. He has to remove the complete dash panel . You remember, Ken? -Mike
I do remember. I hope it is something far easier to fix.
Old 12-28-04, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

most likely low coolant if it is cool at idle and warms up when you start driving again...not enough exchange going on with low circulation of coolant....or an airlock...most likely causes.
bigdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-04, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, I did a little toying around a fiddling with the car. I have discovered that if the car is givin about 20 minutes to warm up, the heat is pretty stong and where it should be. The temperature guage seems high to me though. It is three quarters of the way to full hot. The weird thing is the when you drive the car, the temp gauge soon drops to half-way and the air turns cool. I have not begun to investigate anything else yet, I just thought this might help. Basically it's doing what it should at idle with a high temp gauge reading, and the air is cold when driving and has a normal temp gauge reading.

Thanks again,

Devin
Old 12-30-04, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, I did a little toying around a fiddling with the car. I have discovered that if the car is givin about 20 minutes to warm up, the heat is pretty stong and where it should be. The temperature guage seems high to me though. It is three quarters of the way to full hot. The weird thing is the when you drive the car, the temp gauge soon drops to half-way and the air turns cool. I have not begun to investigate anything else yet, I just thought this might help. Basically it's doing what it should at idle with a high temp gauge reading, and the air is cold when driving and has a normal temp gauge reading.

Thanks again,

Devin
Same thing happened to me, I got the coolant flushed and filled. It fixed it.
Old 12-30-04, 11:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

Quote:

Thanks again,

Devin
I am of firm belief that no matter the outside air temp, even in Michigan, the temp neddle should climb to, and remain at one mark below the middle, normal, and the heated air coming from the vents should be constantly hot, or, at whatever the car interior air/heat/cool selector is set at. Meaning that the air should not flow hot and then cold when heat is desired.

There is something wrong with your car/engine and the cooling system.. Granted it will take more time to reach operating temp in cold weather, but should be stable after. The thermostat takes care of that. Of course if the heat gauge climbs above the normal, and returns to normal after you start driving there is chilled air flowing through the radiator and around the engine which will or should bring the temp down, but that is not normal in most cases with this car.

My best guess with the posted info. Good luck.

RAP
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)