High screeching noise when driving & idled... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-04, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend L Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
High screeching noise when driving & idled...

Okay, my Legend has been making new noises almost every day now. lol... and its NOT CUTE for a girl to be driving around in a Legend that screeches, screams, and squeaks all over the place (exaggerating a little). :p So here's my problem...I need some help diagnosing...

1) While driving over speed bumps, SLIGHTLY bumpy roads, etc. the car makes a squeaking noise. It use to be from the back of the car, but now it sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side. I don't think it happens when I'm turning right or left (I did a search on this).
2) Sometimes my car makes a hard to explain noise. It sounds like a high-pitched screech coming from far away. You know the sound you hear when your ears ring?? Well its like that, only I know its not just me. It happens when I'm driving, but more noticeable when I'm idling (maybe due to the fact that theres not as much road noise when I'm idled). Quite annoying.
3) A light rattling when I accelerate (and only when I accelerate).

Any ideas? Are any of these gonna be a major problem later on? I did a few searches, but the posts were pretty old. Any help would be great (price to fix also). Thanks in advance!
91L4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-04, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: Boxster S, Subaru STi, Subaru WRX, AMG E55, Benz E320 Coupe, & Benz 190e

The rattling is pretty common especially around 1700 rpm to 2200 rpm.
Now about the sqeak. How long does it last. If it's brief, than it's probably the one my friend had with his problem but then again noises are hard to diagnose. It might be something in the exhaust, not sure how serious it is though. My friend took his car to a shop and i think they replaced something in the exhaust and the screeching/sqeaking noise stopped. Help this helps you out.
Old 10-01-04, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Referring to the list of problems in my original posting...

1) The squeaking noise only lasts a few seconds but sound everytime I drive in slightly bumpy areas...
2) The high-pitched noise can last for several minutes, but goes away when I restart my car...
3) Rattling sounds only when I accelerate...
Old 10-01-04, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91L4door
Referring to the list of problems in my original posting...

1) The squeaking noise only lasts a few seconds but sound everytime I drive in slightly bumpy areas...
2) The high-pitched noise can last for several minutes, but goes away when I restart my car...
3) Rattling sounds only when I accelerate...
Rattling sounds common when accelerating, my Legend does the same thing.
The other two I am not sure because my friend had similar noises but had a shop look at it and fix it.
Old 10-01-04, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Legend Sedan L

Send a message via AIM to _mAv_
I can't help you with the noises but I think you'll find it comforting to know that pretty much everyone has some sort of strange noise that makes their Legend unique.

For instance, if you had my car, your driver door will sound like an automatic rifle everytime it power locks and unlocks. Then, you get used to the noise, but you scare the crap out of every passenger you take on. And no matter how evil you feel for thinking its the funniest thing in the world to see your passengers jump out of their seat when you start your car and shut it off, you just can't get enough.

Yep, for the love of the Legend.

JVC KD-SHX700 MP3 CD Receiver
_mAv_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-04, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mAv_
I can't help you with the noises but I think you'll find it comforting to know that pretty much everyone has some sort of strange noise that makes their Legend unique.

For instance, if you had my car, your driver door will sound like an automatic rifle everytime it power locks and unlocks. Then, you get used to the noise, but you scare the crap out of every passenger you take on. And no matter how evil you feel for thinking its the funniest thing in the world to see your passengers jump out of their seat when you start your car and shut it off, you just can't get enough.

Yep, for the love of the Legend.

LOLLLL... You're funny.
Old 10-01-04, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

If I were you, I'd just go and get the car checked out. probably nothing serious. Have you checked all the belts in the engine and made sure none of them were too dry, because I heard that sometimes the belts make noises if they are real dry.
Old 10-01-04, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas86
If I were you, I'd just go and get the car checked out. probably nothing serious. Have you checked all the belts in the engine and made sure none of them were too dry, because I heard that sometimes the belts make noises if they are real dry.

Should I go to Acura/Honda to get the noises checked out or to a mechanic? Which would probably be better?
Old 10-01-04, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
LOLLLL... You're funny.

But yah, as mentioned above, if its enough for you to notice and bothers you, its probably worth having it checked out by a reputable mechanic, or of course Acura.

Good Luck!

Old 10-01-04, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Should I go to Acura/Honda to get the noises checked out or to a mechanic? Which would probably be better?
It depends on how much money you have to spare. Acura will usually charge you more than a private mechanic. Which is better? well that all depends. If you don't personally know of a good, trustworthy mechanic, then spend the extra few bucks and take it to Acura. Then, go out and find yourself a good reliable mechanic for future purposes.

Old 10-02-04, 05:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Nobody gave you any answers did they! I will give you some, but won't guarantee they are right (it is hard to diagnose at this distance!)
1) Squeaks when going over bumps.....this indicates that the squeak occurs when the suspension is being activated--springs are being compressed, bushings have metal stabilizing bars and rods running through them that are being twisted or flexed, struts are being activated to dampen bumps (shock absorbers), brake calipers float and can rub against rotors, etc., brake pads can squeak when brakes are applied lightly.
I would try bouncing the car up and down at each corner (while parked on level ground in quiet area) and listen for the squeak...You can try pulling the wheel/wheels off of the suspect location and try to shake or move the rotor pads/calipers around to see if it acts loose or noisy...there are spring anti-rattle clips that are supposed to be attached to the end of the pads for this purpose.
The possible fix for these item is to try to find the suspect contact area and lube it with the proper lube. For metal to metal contact a penetrating type oil may help (WD40 is NOT a penetrating oil, but removes water), for bushings spray a silicone spray around the edges of contact with the metal rod that goes through it (while someone bounces the corners of the car as you apply), for brake parts only use a hiTemp brake grease/lube on contact points of the spring clips taking extreme care NOT to get any on the rotor surface or the pads (that will ruin them).
2) A hi frequency screech can be a slipping belt (but they usually are very loud), a failing bearing in one of the accessories like the power steering pump, alternator, air conditioner, or something that is slightly touching a moving part. You will just have to look and listen for this cause.
3) Your exhaust system has heat shields built around the convertor and piping to prevent starting fires if you happen to park in tall grass. The heat shield gets loose when the bolts fastening them corrode away and get loose. This lets them vibrate when the car is run at low rpm/speed...look for the loose ones (theyu come in sections) and remove the shield or tighten it by putting a big clamp around it..
That should do it....good luck...bigdad
bigdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 Acura Legend L

Send a message via AIM to iloveshanemacg3
it seems like my car has the same screeching noise, and it is like a ringing in your ears, annoying as anything. i was driving along one day and all the sudden it started doing that. for some reason i keep thinking its coming from the tires and that it might be my brakes or something. i don't really know, i suggest you take it to a mechanic, because thats what im doing.
Old 05-24-06, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hi

Send a message via AIM to Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveshanemacg3
it seems like my car has the same screeching noise, and it is like a ringing in your ears, annoying as anything. i was driving along one day and all the sudden it started doing that. for some reason i keep thinking its coming from the tires and that it might be my brakes or something. i don't really know, i suggest you take it to a mechanic, because thats what im doing.
He probably did, two years ago.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 02:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 LS Coupe
Car 2: 95 LS Coupe n/run
Car 3: Previous 89' L Coupe

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad
Nobody gave you any answers did they! I will give you some, but won't guarantee they are right (it is hard to diagnose at this distance!)
1) Squeaks when going over bumps.....this indicates that the squeak occurs when the suspension is being activated--springs are being compressed, bushings have metal stabilizing bars and rods running through them that are being twisted or flexed, struts are being activated to dampen bumps (shock absorbers), brake calipers float and can rub against rotors, etc., brake pads can squeak when brakes are applied lightly.
I would try bouncing the car up and down at each corner (while parked on level ground in quiet area) and listen for the squeak...You can try pulling the wheel/wheels off of the suspect location and try to shake or move the rotor pads/calipers around to see if it acts loose or noisy...there are spring anti-rattle clips that are supposed to be attached to the end of the pads for this purpose.
The possible fix for these item is to try to find the suspect contact area and lube it with the proper lube. For metal to metal contact a penetrating type oil may help (WD40 is NOT a penetrating oil, but removes water), for bushings spray a silicone spray around the edges of contact with the metal rod that goes through it (while someone bounces the corners of the car as you apply), for brake parts only use a hiTemp brake grease/lube on contact points of the spring clips taking extreme care NOT to get any on the rotor surface or the pads (that will ruin them).
2) A hi frequency screech can be a slipping belt (but they usually are very loud), a failing bearing in one of the accessories like the power steering pump, alternator, air conditioner, or something that is slightly touching a moving part. You will just have to look and listen for this cause.
3) Your exhaust system has heat shields built around the convertor and piping to prevent starting fires if you happen to park in tall grass. The heat shield gets loose when the bolts fastening them corrode away and get loose. This lets them vibrate when the car is run at low rpm/speed...look for the loose ones (theyu come in sections) and remove the shield or tighten it by putting a big clamp around it..
That should do it....good luck...bigdad
Totally agree. Listen to bigdad
manxdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)