installing cd in 94 GS - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-05, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend GS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
installing cd in 94 GS

Quick question, ive searched and read. I just want a straight answer, if i take the stock unit out. Buy a harness and a pocket, will my aftermarket cd player work? Thanks in advance.
PearlGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-05, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1988 944 Turbo

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ballistic
Yes.

If you buy an aftermarket stereo with a remote control, you can buy a swi-x adapter which will allow your sterring wheel button to work.
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 01:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Sherwood Green GS (totaled), 1994 LS Coupe

you've got a GS with the premium bose sound system (a 2ohm bose amp and 2 ohm bose speakers.) i never redid mine cuz i always thought i'd have to redo the whole system. i think its the same for you. the ppl that can just swap out the head unit are people with the regular bose stereo in the L and base models (and 4ohm components).

G2 Legend Stereo FAQ
Old 09-29-05, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
X-Runner

Car 1: 2007 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner Speedway Blue 6spd MT
Car 2: 1993 L Sedan

You'd have to bypass the stock bose amp behind the rear seat and replace the 2ohm speakers or you may have distortion from the new HU

2007 Tacoma X-Runner :: Speedway Blue :: 6 Speed MT
TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Short Shifter, TRD Seat Covers, URD 3" Cat Back Exhaust, TTC Dual Traction Bars, TTC Sway Bar Kit, Gaylord X-2000 Lid, LED Tail Lights, Weather Tech Ventvisors, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights
HiTek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Stu

Car 1: 2005 Lexus LS430

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut
you've got a GS with the premium bose sound system (a 2ohm bose amp and 2 ohm bose speakers.) i never redid mine cuz i always thought i'd have to redo the whole system. i think its the same for you.
True. If its the Bose Premium system, you replace either everything ....
or nothing. The 2 Ohm amp and speakers dont work well with aftermarket audio equipment.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-05, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

so if i dont wanna replace anything and istill want the cd player to work what do i do?
Old 10-01-05, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
X-Runner

Easiest way to add a CD player would be to buy an OEM or Alpine CD Changer and put it in the trunk but i'm guessing you want a new headunit. I don't think there are any easy ways to do it with the Bose Premium, all due to the factory amp and 2 ohm speaker setup.

TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Short Shifter, TRD Seat Covers, URD 3" Cat Back Exhaust, TTC Dual Traction Bars, TTC Sway Bar Kit, Gaylord X-2000 Lid, LED Tail Lights, Weather Tech Ventvisors, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights
Old 10-01-05, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTek21
Easiest way to add a CD player would be to buy an OEM or Alpine CD Changer and put it in the trunk but i'm guessing you want a new headunit. I don't think there are any easy ways to do it with the Bose Premium, all due to the factory amp and 2 ohm speaker setup.
100% correct .... and if a stereo shop that tells you different and you decide to go ahead, make sure you get a WRITTEN 100% refund if you are not totally satisfied. Be careful, I tried to do what you are thinking about and I gave up.

Besides, I want the all the steering wheel audio controls to work, and unless you get a major job done, these items dont work in an aftermarket install.
Old 10-01-05, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 GS sedan

Send a message via AIM to flicek
Wait, I also have a 94 GS and I just installed a new cdplayer. I'll I did was install it using a wireharness from walmart and a scosche kit also from walmart. took about an hour but had it up and running with minimal question. Only thing is, the speakers play at twice the volume. Sounds great IMO.
flicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 03:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
X-Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicek
Wait, I also have a 94 GS and I just installed a new cdplayer. I'll I did was install it using a wireharness from walmart and a scosche kit also from walmart. took about an hour but had it up and running with minimal question. Only thing is, the speakers play at twice the volume. Sounds great IMO.
I'm no audio expert but I would becareful about cranking up the volume because if you didn't bypass the stock amp you may overload it. If you did bypass the amp and are still running the 2ohm speakers you may damage your headunit. I'm still learning about audio and such so hopefully someone else can chime in and explain/teach us the terminology.

All that matters is you're happy with how it sounds.

Everything on the Legend just has to be a little more difficult than your average car but then again the Legend isn't your average car.

Old 10-01-05, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yea I also would recommend not to crank it up. I also read that you could blow the headunit. Hopefully the $40 service plan from best buy covers it. Either way I keep the volume at med-med high volume at most. high volume would be so loud it hurts. I'm not too worried about blowing it all up.
Old 10-01-05, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Domesticated Redneck
Duck Hunt Champion

Car 1: 2004 TL 6-Speed

Send a message via AIM to Rumnarv
You can bypass the amp and get a higher level Pioneer HU. Most of these will support 2 ohm speakers.

Or get an aftermarket amp.

The OEM Bose speakers really are not that great anyways, so replacement would the be the best money spent...

No Mods
Rumnarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-05, 04:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stu

again, as I said, keep it stock or replace it all.

The only Bose premium components that can be upgraded easily are the CD player and the speakers IF YOU FIND 2 OHM SPEAKERS, which is difficult and expensive.

Your speakers play at twice the volume now and next thing you know the amp and/or the head unit blows. I really like the Bose radio as it really holds the stations well, even driving downtown where I am used to a lot of interference. Its been a while since I had a good system but the bBose radio is actually better than most, but maybe the aftermarket radios are better now
Old 10-09-05, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

i hooked up my cd player using a wireharness from walmart to. It powers up but the speakers dont work. What is a scosche kit? and why do you get sound and i dont?/
Old 10-09-05, 05:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

do the speakers not work at all or when your playing Cds? At first my speakers only worked when i used FM/AM but would turn off when I switched to Cd. If thats the case for you too, hook the remote turn on wire to the power antenna wire coming out of the harness. That might get it working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)