Intake Manifold Removal - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-04, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
LPB

Car 1: 1992 Seattle Silver LS CPE
Car 2: 2007 Toyota Corolla
Car 3: 1981 Corvette

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Intake Manifold Removal

Am having the dickens of a problem removing the intake manifold on a 1992 Legend. For those of you who have removed the manifold, what parts need to be unbolted/removed from the back of the manifold in order to lift it up and out.

I am also replacing all the heater hoses and the Fast Idle Valve hoses.

So far, I have the Fast Idle Valve off, the Air Suction Valve unbolted from the manifold, have also removed the EGR Valve, the Vacuum lines, the Air Inlet Pipe, and moved the Vacuum Control Box out of the way. The HELM appears to indicate that the EGR and Air Suction Pipes need to be unbolted. Both are located three steps away from Hades.

All this crap to replace two O-rings on the Water Bypass In pipe.

Appreciate assistance.
Wings West Spoiler w/LED
Clear Corner Lens
Clear Bumper Lens
Clear Rear Side Markers
Brembo X-Drilled/Slotted
Stainless Braided Brake Hoses
Focus 2500 Driving Lamps
Gold Pkg
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-04, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
EDM Honda Legend Coupe

Car 1: '95 EDM Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MikeD Send a message via AIM to MikeD Send a message via Skype™ to MikeD
Peter,
as far as I know that NickD has removed that intake stuff at that time. Try to get in touch with him. Too bad that his homepage not works. He has taken very good pics of all and has great experiences of that. -Mike

Edit: I send Nick a PM. Hope he can help you. -Mike

Last edited by MikeD; 06-30-04 at 09:54 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-04, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well you seem to be one of the resident experts on these boards
concerning the Legend, and here you are stumped. I've been following your story hoping to see a comprehensive, well written DIY after you finish the
O ring R & R project.

Unfortunately I can't offer much help since all I have is the Helms and no experience in R & R any major components on my '95 L.

Seems like I have read on these boards that the " Knock Sensors ", located at the front and under the intake are somewhat fragile and easily broken when removing same. Also rather expensive.

Good luck and post back with your progress.

RAP
Old 07-01-04, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
FIXER

Car 1: 1992 Legend L 265k Black(sold) 1994 Legend LS 175K Green 1967 NOVA SS Bolero Red

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
When I did my BHG repair, after removing the intake all I had left for hands were two bloody stumps. I took some pictures(of the engine not hands), I'll try to post them if I can find them. I remember having to remove several parts to get them out of the way to remove the part that was connected to the intake. Could only get a 1/4 turn on the bolts at a time.
Jetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-04, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
LPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP
Well you seem to be one of the resident experts on these boards
concerning the Legend, and here you are stumped. I've been following your story hoping to see a comprehensive, well written DIY after you finish the
O ring R & R project.

Unfortunately I can't offer much help since all I have is the Helms and no experience in R & R any major components on my '95 L.

Seems like I have read on these boards that the " Knock Sensors ", located at the front and under the intake are somewhat fragile and easily broken when removing same. Also rather expensive.

Good luck and post back with your progress.

RAP
RAP: I am keeping all the plastic parts pkgs from Acura and I shall do a DIY write up when completed. I am not an expert. Have never worked as a mechanic, only autobody repair.

Walking away and resuming the tear down this am worked wonders. Only had to remove a booster line, unbolt the EGR pipe (first time ever every fastener came off with no problems).

The knock sensors aren't involved in the manifold removal. They are right there exposed with the manifold off. Also was a relative snap to replace the heater hoses.
Wings West Spoiler w/LED
Clear Corner Lens
Clear Bumper Lens
Clear Rear Side Markers
Brembo X-Drilled/Slotted
Focus 2500 Driving Lamps
Gold Pkg
Old 07-01-04, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
LPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdoc
When I did my BHG repair, after removing the intake all I had left for hands were two bloody stumps. I took some pictures(of the engine not hands), I'll try to post them if I can find them. I remember having to remove several parts to get them out of the way to remove the part that was connected to the intake. Could only get a 1/4 turn on the bolts at a time.
Jetdoc:

I managed to get the intake off this am. Had to disconnect the Air Suction pipe. Although the HELM showed both the Air Suction and the EGR pipes being disconnected, only the Air Suction pipe actually had to be disconnected.

When I planned this Water By-Pass repair I decided to change the heater hoses as well as the control unit. With the manifold off, it was relatively simple. I also used OEM spring clamps because of the difficulty in trying to get a socket or screwdriver at a clamp, especially the LT side hose. I also changed the O-ring on the water passage pipe which connects to the rear of the thermostat base. Now was the time to do it.

When you repaired the head-gasket did you replace the two Fast Idle Valve hoses? If so, any suggestions? I could not get at the OEM spring clamps and ended up cutting the hoses in order to remove the Fast Idle Valve. On reinstall, I very carefully positioned the new hoses to the the old, and then using OEM spring clamps, clamped the hoses both to the nipples under the intake manifold and the valve itself. I hope I have enough hose lengths and correct angle to allow me to just push the valve back and then reinstall. I don't know how Acura does it unless they access those clamps from under the vehicle while the vehicle is on a lift. I may have to R&I the intake several times in order to adjust hose length an angle in order to remount the Fast Idle Valve to the manifold...unless you replaced them and can offer suggestions. I have even backed each hose off about 1/8 inch from the stop of each nipple to give me a little "wiggle" room.

Have added Fuel Injector cushions, seals and O-rings to the repair list. Two of mine were seeping. This repair is like "The House That Jack Built".

Thanks for the information and response.
Peter

UPDATE:

Did a "dry" fit of the manifold. The Fast Idle Valve fitted perfectly. DIY write-up tomorrow.
Wings West Spoiler w/LED
Clear Corner Lens
Clear Bumper Lens
Clear Rear Side Markers
Brembo X-Drilled/Slotted
Focus 2500 Driving Lamps
Gold Pkg

Last edited by LPB; 07-02-04 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)