Jumping Speedometer - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-12, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Legend Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Jumping Speedometer

Hello Gentleman - and I assume, a few Legend-loving ladies like myself. My gorgeous 94 Coupe (135K miles) has begun a most curious little activity - I will be driving slowly, typically 20 to 30 MPH, and suddenly the speedometer needle will momentarily jump up to 80 or 100 MPH on the dial, and then the needle fails back again to whatever I am really driving at. This morning while backing up at less than 5 MPH the speedometer needle leapt all the way to 160 MPH, and then returned to almost zero (which is what I was going!).

Naturally my local Acura dealer is mystified, and like the coy performing child, they couldn't get my Coupe to replicate the action on their test drives. It doesn't happen every day, but I certainly am curious to know what is going on. Any clues? Many thanks.
Madame Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-12, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 G2 4D 5spd...
Car 2: 99 Tahoe LS 4wd
Car 3: Trek Bike (Less Gas)

Good morning Ms. Rose and welcome to the forum. It sounds like your VSS is the culprit. This is the Vehicle Speed Sensor that controls that part of your cluster. This is common with the G2 Legends and this is something you can fix yourself. The part on ebay is about $90 shipped, or you can get it from another member. I just changed mines and will be glad to supply help and photos if needed.

NOTE: This also affects your mileage, so this is something your want to address ASAP. When it is malfunctioning, your odometer can, and will stop working.

Last edited by NYTAHOE; 08-20-12 at 01:27 PM.
NYTAHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend LS Sedan
Car 2: 03 Trail Blazer

+1 on this affecting mileage. My VSS was acting up, doing the same stuff. It would actually peg itself out at 140 while I was sitting at a stop light, and I could watch it rack up miles on the odometer. Mine reads somewhere around 230,000 miles, but since the VSS was messed up when I bought it and have no idea how long the previous owner drove it that way, I really have NO idea how many miles are actually on my body and transmission. Even after fixing it, my speedometer reads anywhere from 4 to 14 MPH OVER what I am actually doing, so it is still reading wrong on the odometer since it thinks I am going faster than what I am, it is racking up more miles than what I am actually putting on it....
Old 08-20-12, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gentlemen, thank you both so much! (And to think the dealer told me to think nothing of it, not to worry, and so on.) So I need to replace the VSS. Can I REALLY do it myself, NYTAHOE? I like your confidence in me!

Madame Rose
Old 08-20-12, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

as long as you have the correct torx bit, yes, you can change it yourself in a matter of minutes. It is a tamper proof #20 torx bit. Not the same as a normal #20 torx.
Old 08-20-12, 02:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes you can Lady Rose, I believe in you (I never underestimate a Lady)! This will help you become 1 with your ride. As long as you have no problem getting a little dirty, you can do it. Chances are, this portion of your vehicle has never been tampered with, which means it will be a little tough getting the part off. As stated above, you will need the right bit, along with the correct socket. If you attempt we will help you along the way and supply the list of needed tools & part. Below is the link for the part that you will need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACURA-LEGEND...b623fc&vxp=mtr
__________________________________________________ ___________________

2nd link is how it looks when it comes out of the car. The new sensor goes inside of this part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-Legend...a28df4&vxp=mtr
Old 08-20-12, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Rose View Post
Gentlemen, thank you both so much! (And to think the dealer told me to think nothing of it, not to worry, and so on.) So I need to replace the VSS. Can I REALLY do it myself, NYTAHOE? I like your confidence in me!

Madame Rose
You need the vss repair kit not the whole vss.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

How To Replace The VSS
here is a step by step guide someone posted here that may be helpful, but one thing I must note, this guide says to remove the whole VSS from the car, I did not have to remove that, just the cover from it, then you have access to the sensor inside, that is what is actually bad. Remove the cover, remove the sensor, replace the sensor with a new one, put the cover back on, connect your plug and you are good to go!
Old 08-21-12, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Oh my stars, gentlemen, I am SO impressed with you and this forum. SHAWNJEROME81 and L3GDKANG, many thanks for chiming in with additional information and support. I so appreciate it. QUARAXKAD - the Service Bulletin ! Well, talk about inside information; that is terrific. And most especially Thank You, NYTAHOE for your confidence in me and encouragement to attempt this replacement myself. I like when you say it will help me become even more "one with my Coupe". I would not confess to many people outside close friends and you on this enthusiasts forum that her name is Beauty, which is what she always looks like to me every time I see her. She still gives me as much aesthetic pleasure as she did back in 1998 when I bought her gently used (only 24K miles on her then). She has been as reliable as the day is long, sadly never seen the inside of a garage, and subjected to coastal conditions the entire time I have owned her. Yet she has reasonably low mileage for her age (135K) and I have been religious about addressing rust when needed, kept her beautifully painted in her Desert Sand colour, and a couple of years ago had the front seats and console recovered in leather perfectly matching the original. In short, I can't imagine owning and loving another car as I do this one. I know you all understand, and I am SO grateful for your help. --Madame Rose
Old 08-21-12, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

well Madame Rose, that is what we are on this forum for, to offer advice and help out where we can.
It is great to see the enthusiasm and the obvious love for the car that you so proudly display, and it is a pleasure to be able to help out when able to.
I hope to see some pics of the car that you call Beauty some time soon as well.
Old 08-21-12, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you again SHAWNJEROME81. I haven't done any customization as many as you have done...she is what we might term a "natural" Beauty! But I'll put a picture up anyway, soon. Again, thanks to you all. You're a great group and I'm happy to be amongst you.
--
Mde. Rose
Old 08-23-12, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Madame Rose, you are quite welcome. We understand and share your passion for such a Beauty, and feel the same for all of the Beauties! Being of service to you was and is a pleasure, for knowledge is key, sharing that knowledge is more powereful. Be well and enjoy your Baby.
Old 08-26-12, 12:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend LS
Car 2: 1991 Legend LS (#2)

Yet another happy ending, courtesy of the folks on this awesome forum. Madame Rose's comment on the local Acura dealership being "mystified" is curious, particularly in this case where the VSS problem is so common and easy to diagnose. In my case my dealership said my transmission was shot and needed to be replaced. Is this due to sheer ignorance? Underhanded business tactics? Not knowing the history of a 20 year old car?

By the way, I replaced my VSS last month (more cudos to this forum) and my 91 LS is back to performing beautifully.
Diamonddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Yet another happy ending, courtesy of the folks on this awesome forum. Madame Rose's comment on the local Acura dealership being "mystified" is curious, particularly in this case where the VSS problem is so common and easy to diagnose. In my case my dealership said my transmission was shot and needed to be replaced. Is this due to sheer ignorance? Underhanded business tactics? Not knowing the history of a 20 year old car?

By the way, I replaced my VSS last month (more cudos to this forum) and my 91 LS is back to performing beautifully.
glad to hear this.

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 02:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 Acura Legend LS 3.2

Hey guys I am having the same issue my problem is I can't find where this VSS sensor is in my car
95legendls12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)