Legend Common Problems (Wont Start? Overheating?) - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-07, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Legend Common Problems (Wont Start? Overheating?)

Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here.

Does your Legend crank but does not start? Here's a DIY diagnostic procedure

Last edited by B+O; 05-09-08 at 07:19 AM.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-08, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
Consolidating links.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-08, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
95 LEGEND

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend LS
Car 2: 1998 GS-R
Car 3: 1998 Honda Accord v6

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to premilove
ok so here is my story. i got a 1995 legend at an amazing price. 3600 85K miles. lucky for me, a hose burst, which lead to the thermostat goin on me. i got that replaced at 87500K lucky for me after this my waterpump went about 1k miles later. so here we are around 88500k close to 90k. i then notice temperature spikes. i took the car to acura and made them fix EVERYTHING that was wrong, spent a good 2800. they replaced my timing belt, and differentials, some other good stuff i dont remember. im standing at a light nearby, in Drive, with my foot on the brake. what do i see? temperature rises about 2-3 notches away from H. there is no knocking sounds, no slipping between the gears, i dont know of any leaks...maybe one of you experienced acura legend owners may know why is this happening? please help! i love this car i do not want to get rid of it.
premilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 12:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
engineering fanatic

Car 1: 95 L sedan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by premilove View Post
ok so here is my story. i got a 1995 legend at an amazing price. 3600 85K miles. lucky for me, a hose burst, which lead to the thermostat goin on me. i got that replaced at 87500K lucky for me after this my waterpump went about 1k miles later. so here we are around 88500k close to 90k. i then notice temperature spikes. i took the car to acura and made them fix EVERYTHING that was wrong, spent a good 2800. they replaced my timing belt, and differentials, some other good stuff i dont remember. im standing at a light nearby, in Drive, with my foot on the brake. what do i see? temperature rises about 2-3 notches away from H. there is no knocking sounds, no slipping between the gears, i dont know of any leaks...maybe one of you experienced acura legend owners may know why is this happening? please help! i love this car i do not want to get rid of it.
Surely you did see the first link of post #1, right? Go ahead, take the time, read through the thread. Maybe not all of it, but definitely a whole lot.

It does sound like you have a bad head gasket. A busted hose, a bad thermocouple.... some air probably got in the system, and deteriorated the gasket. Mine started with a busted radiator that I mended with plastic weld (I didn't know any better back then).

Try bleeding the system and ridding it of air. It might not be too late yet. But definitely read this thread, please

Is your 91-95 Legend overheating? Got a coolant problem? Post all questions in here.

You will find similar experiences and more by other members, and how they fixed their overheating problems. Happy researching!
IMDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Legend Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by premilove View Post

Took me 2 mechanics, and 4 tries to fix this exact thing you had.
I had to replace my Head Gasket.
$1600 fix... Good luck man.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
IamLegend

Car 1: 93 Acura Legend
Car 2: skyline one day

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Question I need help please reply to me legend heads

I cureently have a 93 acura legend, which ive been modifying lil by lil. Since i bought the car there has been this lil problem where when its in park idling it will start to rev up on its own, and occasionally even shut off. As soon as i put it into drive the problem is gone./ So for over 6 months i havent barely thought of the problem into oday after i installed my CAI, and suddenly the problem was multipled by 100. over revving like crazy trying to shut off on me. At first i was thinking VSS but its my rpm's not the speed gauge.Abs and brake light also on for no apparent reason. My local mechanic couldnt figure it out. Pleas some one help meeee. I really want to pu my CAI on and countinue to modify my car. thank you TrS
trs031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kilroy

Car 1: 91 legend coupe(6 speed) gone
Car 2: 94 legend coupe GS
Car 3: 02 Acura RL

Send a message via AIM to kawboyz Send a message via Yahoo to kawboyz
sounds like you have a bad head gasket.Get it replaced and all of your overheating problems will be solved. Also I would strongly recomend you changing your valve stem seals when you do the headgasket
Old 10-15-08, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
GS is The BEST

Car 1: 1995 SE LEGEND(SMASHED;RIP)
Car 2: 95 GS SEDAN Gold Ed.

I've known about this site for a while & never joined until now... Now I am having the 'NO START PROBLEM' w/my GS 95 sedan.

Problem: Once in a while this would happen but now I can't even move the car. Owned since March 07, @63K.. now @74k. I bought it from someone that never drove it much becuz they owned a dealership & used new cars to get around in. HERE GOES...

Turned the key to (I), all is normal. Turned the key to(II), PROBLEM, no dash lights. When I start the car, PROBLEM, it turns over but once I release the key it shuts down w/the key on the(II) position & no dash lights. I had my mechanic look at it & he tried the courtesy key & the car started, so he thought the key was bad. Now, PROBLEM, it won't start w/the courtesy key. Does any1 know WITHOUT A DOUBT what's wrong? Help me before I take it to the dealership for $120 so they can tell me its faulty wiring & windup wasting my money. HOLLA @CHA BOY!!
Young Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 95 L Sedan
Car 2: 95 LS Coupe
Car 3: 01 Toyota 4 Runner

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CEN2MENTAL95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Chino View Post
I've known about this site for a while & never joined until now... Now I am having the 'NO START PROBLEM' w/my GS 95 sedan.

Problem: Once in a while this would happen but now I can't even move the car. Owned since March 07, @63K.. now @74k. I bought it from someone that never drove it much becuz they owned a dealership & used new cars to get around in. HERE GOES...

Turned the key to (I), all is normal. Turned the key to(II), PROBLEM, no dash lights. When I start the car, PROBLEM, it turns over but once I release the key it shuts down w/the key on the(II) position & no dash lights. I had my mechanic look at it & he tried the courtesy key & the car started, so he thought the key was bad. Now, PROBLEM, it won't start w/the courtesy key. Does any1 know WITHOUT A DOUBT what's wrong? Help me before I take it to the dealership for $120 so they can tell me its faulty wiring & windup wasting my money. HOLLA @CHA BOY!!

sounds like a bad ignition switch to me.....
CEN2MENTAL95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-08, 12:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
engineering fanatic

Ignition switch

Quote:

Definitely your ignition switch. Not the key hole mechanism, but the electrical switch. This is located under the kick panel by the steering column. Happened to me once when I went to the corner store. Parked in the lot, and when I came out, it wouldn't start. Accessories indicators would come on, but turning the key to start would turn the dash dark. No lights, no cranking, nothing. Pulled the master relay and repaired the cracks; still no go. Talked to someone at work, and read some posts here, and it led me to the ignition switch. This cost me $170 at the dealer, put it on myself under an hour, and Vroooooom!

Check this out (from the first post on this thread). Good luck!

Does your Legend crank but does not start? Here's a DIY diagnostic procedure

Yah maan!

Last edited by IMDKING; 10-22-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
GS is The BEST

Apparently, there are 2 parts to the ignition switch; the mechanical & electrical. I called the dealership to order the part & I couldn't tell them which. Does anybody know which, MECHANICAL or ELECTICAL PART?
Old 10-22-08, 11:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
engineering fanatic

Quote:
Apparently, there are 2 parts to the ignition switch; the mechanical & electrical. I called the dealership to order the part & I couldn't tell them which. Does anybody know which, MECHANICAL or ELECTICAL PART?
Electrical

Yah maan!
Old 10-22-08, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
GS is The BEST

Thx for all the input!! I replaced the ignition switch(electrical) for about $105, part & installation. Got some other issues & would love to compare & contrast. Scream @cha boy if needed!
Old 11-16-08, 02:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Acura Legend LS Coupe
Car 2: 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Car 3: 2009 Kia Borrego

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs031 View Post
I cureently have a 93 acura legend, which ive been modifying lil by lil. Since i bought the car there has been this lil problem where when its in park idling it will start to rev up on its own, and occasionally even shut off. As soon as i put it into drive the problem is gone./ So for over 6 months i havent barely thought of the problem into oday after i installed my CAI, and suddenly the problem was multipled by 100. over revving like crazy trying to shut off on me. At first i was thinking VSS but its my rpm's not the speed gauge.Abs and brake light also on for no apparent reason. My local mechanic couldnt figure it out. Pleas some one help meeee. I really want to pu my CAI on and countinue to modify my car. thank you TrS
Is your radiator leaking? Does oil pool in your spark plug wells? If so you may have a piston ring issue. That is what happened to mine.

It is also so expensive to get heads redone. I'd recommend finding a good used or rebuilt engine. I got lucky and found one with less than 60,000 miles for $850. Most of the engines go for around $1,500.

By the time you do all of that engine work you could have just got an engine for much less and if you do your own work you'll save big but it'll cost $1,300 - $1,500 to R&R.
wpugh949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-08, 11:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura Legend 88
Car 2: Acura Legend 91
Car 3: Acura Legend 93

Wont start after head-gasket repair job test run

Not sure if I got this thread in the right place as I'm new to this forum. I just replaced the HG on my 91L, no-problems- amazing motor engineering I must say- she fired up right after I got the job done and the engine sounded, and RAN, like new. An hour after my test drive and shutting her off she would crank, but not start. Replaced master/main relay with new, checked all fuses, ground links, wire connections and still wont start. Check engine light comes on dimly when ignition engaged, but does not go back off. I'll test the ignition unit now.
What in the world would cause this to happen? I've read through possible problems such as crank sensors, ECU. Any constructive input/adivice is appreciated.
axk1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)