Legend Common Problems (Wont Start? Overheating?) - Page 3 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-09, 06:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I have a 91 acura legend. The temp gauge rises to hot sometimes. When it's too hot the car will shut off or not start back up. When it gets hot I try to pull over as soon as I notice the gauge getting too close to hot. After I shut it off I can hear what I assume is coolant bubbling around. I check my coolant reservoir and it's usually low when the temp gauge rises to hot. I checked the radiator a few times when it was cold but it's full. Today I wasn't paying attention but I noticed the heat got cool all of a sudden. I looked over and the temp was almost on the red hot line!! I'm trying to figure out where my coolant is going? Could this be a BHG? *shivers* Could the radiator be leaking?

I had the timing belt and water pump changed but it's still doing the same thing. Also what could cause the engine light to come on after a timing belt and water pump job?
summer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-09, 06:00 PM   #32 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 acura legend
Car 2: 1995 acura legend

top radiator hose has too much pressure

hi guys i am having issues with my 95 acura legend. the top hose going from the radiator to the engine expands way above normal on my car after it starts running. when i open my radiator cap all the pressure shots right in my coolant reservoir. anybody has any ideas why my hose gets some much pressure in it? it seems like its not going anywere and keeps building up in my top hose.
sergiobmwm3gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 12:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend Sedan

I have a 92 Legend sedan. My D4 light is blinking and my speedometer doesn't work. I was told that changing the speeding sensor would fix the flashing D4 light and the speedometer, is this true?
iAmLgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 12:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
IamLegend

Car 1: 93 Acura Legend
Car 2: skyline one day

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Sounds like a typical V.S.S. problem to me.

-T
trs031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:37 PM   #35 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmLgnd View Post
I have a 92 Legend sedan. My D4 light is blinking and my speedometer doesn't work. I was told that changing the speeding sensor would fix the flashing D4 light and the speedometer, is this true?

Yeah man thats MOST def your Vehicle Speed Sensor...If you have some mechnical know how you can change it yourself..I changed Mines myself after ordering it off ebay for like $80 and BOOM!!! I was back in the game!!
Noir1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:42 PM   #36 (permalink)

Talking MY 94 Sedan (my baby) won't Start

First : I have a problem with my alarm going off. I have to unlock the passenger door first before I get in. It makes me look REALLY romantic if im with a chick but not so much if im with the guys lol. I have yet to find a solution and I was simply gonna go about life opening the passenger door until last friday when I went to the car and IT WOULDNT START!!! I immediately thought it was my STARTER so I took it out and got a brand new starter from autozone (had it tested to make sure it works and all).

-----By the way CHANGING THE STARTER ON THESE BAD BOYS IS A CHORE!!! But after you do it the first time its not so bad. (I took off the ALTENATOR (and the bracket that holds it in) and the front part of the exhaust pipe (8 screws) so I could gain access to the back of the STARTER. It came out through the front though were the ALTERNATOR IS (or was). I put a volt meter on the starter to see if was getting a signal and from what i've been told IT IS NOT-----

After all that the car still sits there DEAD to the world...Today I noticed that my alarm system isnt even activating upon locking the door. Couldbt unrelated but NOW im wondering if the alarm system has some kind of Starter Kill thats preventing my 1994 Sedan from starting up or Is it an Ignition switch poblem. FYI the main relay seems to be fine. ANY CLUES from the Acky Head!?!?
Old 03-12-09, 12:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
11* [VETERAN NOOB!] *11

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend LS [RIP 06/03/2004]
Car 2: 93 Acura Legend LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir1201 View Post
First : I have a problem with my alarm going off. I have to unlock the passenger door first before I get in. It makes me look REALLY romantic if im with a chick but not so much if im with the guys lol. I have yet to find a solution and I was simply gonna go about life opening the passenger door until last friday when I went to the car and IT WOULDNT START!!! I immediately thought it was my STARTER so I took it out and got a brand new starter from autozone (had it tested to make sure it works and all).

-----By the way CHANGING THE STARTER ON THESE BAD BOYS IS A CHORE!!! But after you do it the first time its not so bad. (I took off the ALTENATOR (and the bracket that holds it in) and the front part of the exhaust pipe (8 screws) so I could gain access to the back of the STARTER. It came out through the front though were the ALTERNATOR IS (or was). I put a volt meter on the starter to see if was getting a signal and from what i've been told IT IS NOT-----

After all that the car still sits there DEAD to the world...Today I noticed that my alarm system isnt even activating upon locking the door. Couldbt unrelated but NOW im wondering if the alarm system has some kind of Starter Kill thats preventing my 1994 Sedan from starting up or Is it an Ignition switch poblem. FYI the main relay seems to be fine. ANY CLUES from the Acky Head!?!?
There is a built on starter kill on the system.. .It's possible that it is engaged, but I can't say for certain... The door lock problem is because your door lock actuator is going out on the driver's side... Fix that so you can stop being romantic with your friends ... The car usually honks all crazy if the alarm is going off so I can't say what is causing the starter issue...
11********LEGEND"11********11
11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Legend"11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 11:09 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend"11 View Post
There is a built on starter kill on the system.. .It's possible that it is engaged, but I can't say for certain... The door lock problem is because your door lock actuator is going out on the driver's side... Fix that so you can stop being romantic with your friends ... The car usually honks all crazy if the alarm is going off so I can't say what is causing the starter issue...

LOL!!! thanks for the confirmation on the starter Kill alarm system. I'll have to look up and price a "door actuator"
Old 03-12-09, 11:22 AM   #39 (permalink)

Does anyone know how is DIS-ENGAGE the starter kill feature of the alarm system? As it stands now the Alarm System seems to be DEAD...when I lock the doors it DOES NOT activate.
Old 03-14-09, 03:37 AM   #40 (permalink)
engineering fanatic

Car 1: 95 L sedan

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiobmwm3gtr View Post
hi guys i am having issues with my 95 acura legend. the top hose going from the radiator to the engine expands way above normal on my car after it starts running. when i open my radiator cap all the pressure shots right in my coolant reservoir. anybody has any ideas why my hose gets some much pressure in it? it seems like its not going anywere and keeps building up in my top hose.

Bro, stop abusing the car and buy a new radiator hose, NOW! Oh, and get it from an Acura/Honda dealer. Don't Autozone the hose, because those are the kind that develop blisters after a little while (like the one you have!)

Just playing, bro! But on the real though, change your hoses. The top radiator hose, the bottom one, and the 3 in the back by the firewall that lead to the heater core. The total should come to about 60 to 70 bucks, which will be well worth it.

Yah maan!
IMDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 02:04 PM   #41 (permalink)

Remote will not start the engine!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir1201 View Post
Does anyone know how is DIS-ENGAGE the starter kill feature of the alarm system? As it stands now the Alarm System seems to be DEAD...when I lock the doors it DOES NOT activate.
HELP!!similar problem.. Battery went dead, got the car to start via a boost..Battery good!!

When I attempt to start the car -remote won't engage the engine- Frustrating!! HELP!! What do I do to get the engie/car to start

I am a girl, so PLEASE put responsein Laymans terms!!
Forgot to add it is a 94 Acura Coupe

Last edited by yayayea; 03-14-09 at 02:20 PM.
yayayea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 10:04 AM   #42 (permalink)

Go ahead, take the time, read through the thread. Maybe not all of it, but definitely a whole lot.
Old 05-14-09, 06:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend L
Car 2: 92 LS JDM T2 eng & T

Good place to post this I think.

Just came across this post. Just thought I would let you guys in on an inherent Legend issue. I had a problem with my ride not starting for about 3 years. New (3) ECUs, 2 main relays, 2 ignition control modules, Crank position sensor, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I'll save time and just let you know that it was a leak up on the lower driver side corner of the engine bay by the wind shield running directly into the main fuse panel. I thought it was just mine but I bought a 93 LS on craigs list for $600 with the same symptoms and sure as hell the fuse panel was corroded inside. New fuse panel and bam! New ride. Found another 91 L with the same problem. The thing is, the only way to notice it is to pull back the carpet by the left floorboard and have someone run a garden hose over it. It is always a very small leak but it runs directly into the fuse panel and its not bad enough for the carpet to get wet. The main symptoms are the D4 light starting to flash and then no fuel or spark. Hope this may save someones ride from the scrap yard.
Old 05-15-09, 05:12 PM   #44 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Legend...195K

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayea View Post
HELP!!similar problem.. Battery went dead, got the car to start via a boost..Battery good!!

When I attempt to start the car -remote won't engage the engine- Frustrating!! HELP!! What do I do to get the engie/car to start

I am a girl, so PLEASE put responsein Laymans terms!!
Forgot to add it is a 94 Acura Coupe
Well I wonder is the car turning over,

NO:
open the doors does the dome light turn on?
If yes, then we're looking for an electrical starting issue
If No, then check the battery cables fuses

YES, it turns over

Electrical starting issue:
Car tries to start but can't
Does the D4 light come on for a couple of seconds after you turn the key?
YES: Check starter relay
NO: Check the EFI Relay
D4 Light comes on, but doesn't start..
Could be Spark plug issue.

For more information please search the threads for specific part locations or post up pictures if you are curious what a part is
Old 06-04-09, 09:36 PM   #45 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Acura Legend L

Electrical Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDKING View Post
Definitely your ignition switch. Not the key hole mechanism, but the electrical switch. This is located under the kick panel by the steering column. Happened to me once when I went to the corner store. Parked in the lot, and when I came out, it wouldn't start. Accessories indicators would come on, but turning the key to start would turn the dash dark. No lights, no cranking, nothing. Pulled the master relay and repaired the cracks; still no go. Talked to someone at work, and read some posts here, and it led me to the ignition switch. This cost me $170 at the dealer, put it on myself under an hour, and Vroooooom!

Check this out (from the first post on this thread). Good luck!

Does your Legend crank but does not start? Here's a DIY diagnostic procedure

I replaced my ignition switch, and the car started right up. I drove it all over town running errands and it fired up ever time. Let it sit about three hours, went back out and no start! Grrr!!! Just a grinding click, and rapidly dimming dash lights. Anyone have any ideas? This car has been a real money pit for me, and I would like to try and fix it myself if anybody has any suggestions on how. Thx!
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)