Legend Common Problems (Wont Start? Overheating?) - Page 5 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-10, 03:51 PM   #61 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 legend coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
about to buy a 93 legend coupe

im about to purchase a 93 legend coupe with 105,000 miles for $2500, i keep hearing the stories about bad head gaskets, is it something that the driver is doing to make them go bad, or is it just the legends, im kinda scared, the car looks and drives great, i just dont want to have to deal with engine problems for at least a year or so
splurge334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-10, 06:32 PM   #62 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Legend GS

So the past couple of day the legend has been acting up somtimes in the morning it will take me a couple of trys to get her to start then around the same time i have had an idel almost goes up to 2k then back down over and over and somtimes when this happens the temp will go a little above the halfway mark also it says my engine is warm but i dont get very warm air out of the vents and this all pretty much goes away after to morning any imput would be nice in the past the hg has been replaced i really want to fix this as soon as i can thanks for looking
Old 10-05-10, 05:18 PM   #63 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Legend GS

anyone?
Old 11-07-10, 01:10 PM   #64 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 ACURA LEGEND

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1129 View Post
anyone?
Hi Shane,
I am not a mechanic but a legend owner. I usually tackle all the work on my vechicle. I think you should try to connect with Mike he is the person started this overheating thread because he had the same experience we are having. He also has a diy on tackling the head gasket job. Also go to youTube and see some head gasket jobs being done so you may want to tackle the work yourself since i am also thinking about it.

MIKE if you're around please assist us.

In the morning I get the same erratic idle, the revs up to 2k rpm then goes down and up between 1500-2000 rpm. I changed the EACV and still have the same problem. Air in the system may be the culprit of the erratic idle. If there is a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust beware is a blown head gasket (bhg). Otherwise, is coming from radiator or a leak in the coolant system. You would need to get underneath the car to check for any leaks a hose may be busted and needs to be replaced.

Also check your coolant level, the radiator cap, and your thermostat. It could be any of those mentioned above. Always start with the cheapest way until you reach to the real problem bhg. I am facing with the same dilemma and can't accept the fact it could be a blown head gasket. That is an expensive job but if you love your legend is a must. Most people swap engines because it cost the same amout of money to get new head gaskets. But then that is the last resort to your problem. Air also has the tendency to evaporate water being the coolant and find myself adding coolant from every 3-14 days.

Today I am getting under the car to check of any leaks coming from the radiator, or any other hoses that is not visible and I am changing the thermostat and the hose from the lower part of the radiator to the thermostat housing.

Last edited by bravo659; 11-07-10 at 01:12 PM. Reason: add content
bravo659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10, 01:18 PM   #65 (permalink)

Hi Splurge, no one answered to your questions since July wow.
Anyway, Legends are one of the best cars out there. The bad head gaskets stories are true but gaskets lasts a long time. I have a 1992 Acura Legend, check it, its been on the streets for over 18 years and check it, i had the car for 5 years now. No problem until now. The mileage is 275,000 miles and counting.
Old 11-25-10, 04:57 PM   #66 (permalink)

Car 1: '92 Legend

Hi!
The automatic transmission on my 92 sedan broke down last week, only the 1st gear works. It has 200k miles, and the head gasket has never been changed.

Now I am picking up a 92 coupe next week with 100k miles on it. The owner says the gearbox (automatic) got overhauled at 85k miles. Is the gearbox a weakness on these cars? The reason it broke on my sedan is my fault, driving like a idiot. But are they bad, or may the seller just had bad luck with his?
And since mine never had to change the head gasket, should i expect it to be changed on the coupe any time soon?

And how often should the timing belt be changed on these engines?

Answers greatly appreciated
override16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 09:50 AM   #67 (permalink)

This is weird, i just got this question now a month later thats bad. Anyway, in your case if you do not have any problems with your legend just need to fix the gearbox then i would say not to purchase the other vehicle because the gearbox has been overhauled but then you don't know the condition of the entire car. If anything, stick with your current car because you already familiarized yourself with it. To my knowledge these cars are built to last a lifetime. There no common problem with gearboxes or transmission problems. As long you take care of it, it will take care of you. Now since it was your fault for driving erratic then i would say keep your car. You may have a lot of problems with another that you dont know about.
Old 02-07-11, 06:08 AM   #68 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend Coupe 5sp L

strange idle

The reason you're gettin that is probably a bad thermostat.....It goes bad and your radiator uses all the coolant in the resevoior....then air gets into the system....Repalce thermostat,take off radiator cap, open bleed,and add coolant untill you see a constant stream of coolant coming out.Make sure you turn the heat all the way up in the car,that lets the coolant go through the heater core, you should feel heat in the car which tells you that the thermostat is working. The most common cause of the weird idle is not enough volume in the system..I too worried about those bhg stories..Bottom line..don't drive when your car starts acting funny..My 91 5 sp coupe has 200,000 on it and I just repalced my radiator...They commonly leak on the seam near the top.. And I still drove it 2 months filling the radiator up every 2 days before I got around to replacing it. My head gasket is fine cause I never let kate overheat.....Everyone I know asks me why I hang on to a 20 year old car.....Glad to know it's not just me...
drizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 12:22 PM   #69 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze View Post
The reason you're gettin that is probably a bad thermostat.....It goes bad and your radiator uses all the coolant in the resevoior....then air gets into the system....Repalce thermostat,take off radiator cap, open bleed,and add coolant untill you see a constant stream of coolant coming out.Make sure you turn the heat all the way up in the car,that lets the coolant go through the heater core, you should feel heat in the car which tells you that the thermostat is working. The most common cause of the weird idle is not enough volume in the system..I too worried about those bhg stories..Bottom line..don't drive when your car starts acting funny..My 91 5 sp coupe has 200,000 on it and I just repalced my radiator...They commonly leak on the seam near the top.. And I still drove it 2 months filling the radiator up every 2 days before I got around to replacing it. My head gasket is fine cause I never let kate overheat.....Everyone I know asks me why I hang on to a 20 year old car.....Glad to know it's not just me...
It took over a month for someone to respond to this question I had LOL
Anyway I already figured it all out. the problem here is not only changing the thermostat is changing the correct thermostat which is from Acura Dealership. I had replaced my thermostat and still had the overheating problem and bleed the system like no tomorrow and still with the same problem. It was long overdue to replace the water pump. Still with the same problem. I purchased the thermostat from a local auto part store suppose to be OEM and replaced it. Still with the same problem. My mechanic advised me to get it from Acura Dealership so I did and it worked no more overheating problem. At times it goes over the line a little mean that i have to bleed it a little more to get rid unwanted air in the system.

But thanks for your reply though.

Please advise others that OEM thermostat to purchase from Acura instead. Thanks.
Old 05-29-11, 07:12 PM   #70 (permalink)

Car 1: 93' Acura Legend Cpe - Type II LS

HELP

I cant get back on the diagnostic page for 'car crankin over but will not start' i was gona bypass my ignition switch to see if that was the problem. I know i turn car in on position and put hot + to sumthin but i lost the page and cant get back on.

Can anyone help me out or know of anything else i can do/check thats simple befor i get it towed?
jbtype2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 03:02 PM   #71 (permalink)

Car 1: 93 Acura Legend L Sedan

Hey guys, got a 93 legend L and the other day my speedo started bouncing all over the place. Also the D4 started blinking. Now its starting to slip. Anyone have any input?
93 ac-rite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-11, 03:12 PM   #72 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 ac-rite View Post
Hey guys, got a 93 legend L and the other day my speedo started bouncing all over the place. Also the D4 started blinking. Now its starting to slip. Anyone have any input?
Yes check out your vehicle speed sensor (VSS) that connects below the engine to the tranny.
Old 11-11-11, 05:14 PM   #73 (permalink)

Car 1: Acura Legend 95'

Wiring problems

I've owned an acura legend 95' for a little over a year now and have noticed an on going problem with the electrical functions. It started with my speakers going out. First the 6x9' in the back and then one by one in the front doors and eventually the cd player, and then the whole sterio completely. Then the passenger side window went out, and the ciggarette lighter works sometimes and other times not. I've checked the fuses and all of them are good so im guessing it has to do with the wiring. Is anyone else having these issues? And is there anyway I could fix this problem??
COLT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 05:19 PM   #74 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT45 View Post
I've owned an acura legend 95' for a little over a year now and have noticed an on going problem with the electrical functions. It started with my speakers going out. First the 6x9' in the back and then one by one in the front doors and eventually the cd player, and then the whole sterio completely. Then the passenger side window went out, and the ciggarette lighter works sometimes and other times not. I've checked the fuses and all of them are good so im guessing it has to do with the wiring. Is anyone else having these issues? And is there anyway I could fix this problem??
I believe you posted this in the wrong place. This is the overheating forum.
I take it your issue is in the wiring. I suggest for you to post this wiring problem at the beginning of the thread under Second Generation Legend 1991-1995

-Desi
Old 02-29-12, 02:30 AM   #75 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend L

I solved my overheating problem, was a blown fuse. Easy fix, luckily.
ATechnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)