Overheating issue - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-13, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Acura Legend

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Overheating issue

My 1994 Legend has a weird issue. It usually runs fine, but sometimes it spontaneously will start to get hot. The temp gauge will slowly begin rising until it reaches about "8" or so, then stop, and then quickly drop back to normal. It will usually do this while I'm at a stop, but also sometimes while I'm driving. Thus far, it has never happened while I'm driving at full freeway speed. If you shut the car off, even for a couple of seconds, the temp will return to normal.
I know for a fact it is getting hot, and is not merely a gauge malfunction.
My mechanic replaced the radiator and thermostat, which did not help. Of course the stupid thing will not do it while it's at his garage. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.....
scrappyhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-13, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 acura legend ls

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Are your fans working, has the cooling system been bled correctly, Are you losing coolant, the upper radiator hose swollen?

Welcome to the forums.
Old 01-16-13, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

The hoses were replaced, and everything properly bled when radiator was installed, but the fan has not been checked. I bet that's it. If the fan is not coming on when indicated, is the problem to more likely be the fan itself or the sensor that turns it on?
Old 01-16-13, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

The sensor, very common issue. (make sure they are working/not working first) report back.
Old 01-16-13, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, will do. I'll drive the car and make sure the fan is not engaged when it should be, and then change the sensor if fan is not operating right.
Old 01-17-13, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK, driving today, temp gauge went up, so I quickly pull over and look under hood, and fans are not engaged. I jump back into car, and turn it off, as gauge was approaching red. I wait about 30 seconds, and restart car, and gauge shows normal temp. That cannot be correct, so I think now I was wrong, and that car is not getting hot after all, but rather temperature gauge is malfunctioning. What part should I look into replacing? Thanks....
Old 01-17-13, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well that sounds like a sensor problem, no way you would be over heating and then temp drop that fast. I will try to find that part#
Old 01-18-13, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Legend 6-spd
Car 2: 2004 Tahoe

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
The sensor is right next to the throttle body under the fuel rail cover. You should be able to pick up a new sensor at your local parts store or of course at the dealer.

ari_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, I had my mechanic change out the sensor, and it did not help. Crap!
Is it possible the dashboard gauge itself is faulty? Are those known to ever fail?
Old 01-29-13, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

You are going through exactly to a T what I just went through with my 95 Legend Sedan. I replaced the radiator and thermostat and checked sensor. At the end of the day it was the head gasket. I am 98% confident that is your issue based on your post. My car did exactly the same thing but never did it when at the mechanic. Adament about the issue I finally let me mechanic keep the car for several days to try to duplicate the issue and he finally confirmed back the head gasket was bad. You are looking at a $2000 fix minimum unless you can do it yourself. I could not part with my car so I ponied up the cash to get it fixed. Working perfectly now. Good luck.
corjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

So far I have replaced the radiator, the thermostat, all hoses, the fan relays, the water pump, and the temperature gauge sensor. The cooling system has been bled on 3 separate occasions. My mechanic did a "block test" to check the head gasket and said it showed no leaks. I am going nuts!!!!
I understand that a head gasket issue can let air into the system and perhaps cause symptoms such as this. But this issue has occurred IMMEDIATELY (within 2-3 miles) after bleeding the cooling system, so I don't think that is the case. Am I mistaken?
Old 02-09-13, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: '92 Acura Legend LS

Overheating issue

If, in fact, it is a head gasket issue, wouldn't it do this all the time? Is it possible to have an "intermittent blown head gasket"? I wouldn't think so, but I'm no mechanic.

Is there white smoke from the tailpipe? Are you losing coolant? Any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?

My 92 has been doing this for the last year or so. It can go for weeks with no issues, then it wants to overheat. No rhyme or reason to it. I had a radiator shop look at it a few weeks ago and they say the water pump is leaking, though I have seen no evidence of it. I'm at the point of deciding whether to replace the WP/TB or stick a 3.5 in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

My "free" 92 LS
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fut RIP

Car 1: 91 Alpha/Alpha Touring KA7
Car 2: 92 Alpha/ AlphaT KA8
Car 3: 91L,93LS,94LS KA7's

iTrader Score: 39 reviews
What about the tstat is it correct 1? Also check rad cap make sure it's not leaking or loose

Yes im back! Alpha/AlphaTouring!http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ang%2Fjdm-kang
Originally Posted by Blackend
Good to meet you too Willie. I tell ya, when we were walking the Auto-X course and you guys started pulling in, I had no idea who it was until I saw the green machine and we're all like "ooohhhh, that's Willie and the Acuraholicks!"

Glad you guys made it out, and nice meeting all of you.
L3GDKANG/JDMKANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

No white smoke, no oil in coolant. I was losing coolant, but that was because of leak in radiator and water pump. Have only had car back from water pump replacement for about 50 miles, so will be keeping an eye on coolant levels for sure.
And the car runs and drives GREAT, aside from temp issues. No performance issues whatsoever.
Old 02-10-13, 01:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend Sedan Type 1

could still be leaking, is there by any chance any silicone around the timing cover? if there is, there could be a water pump leak, puddling up inside the timing cover.
misterOG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)