I have half a bottle of Honda ATF left over from my last ATF drain & fill approx 14 months ago. The cap has been on the ATF and its been in my trunk for the past year.
Aside from the temp swings it's been exposed to (Tahoe winter through 85F on the hottest days in San Jose), does ATF fluid necessarily go bad if the bottle is kept closed and its out of direct sunlight?
What about oil?
* Brake Fluid (if opened):
- it's hydroscopic so it will absorb water from the atmosphere (This is bad because water doesn't compress like brake fluid)
- generally a bad idea to use an opened bottle. Chuck it within a few weeks.
- 2 to 5 years (sealed in temp stable location)
- 5 years max according to Mobil
- I had some sealed coolant for my Audi that i bought a few years ago. My mechanic said that it was no problem to use it as long as the bottle remained sealed.
- If you think about it, it really doesn't matter if water gets into the coolant since coolant should be a mix of 50% antifreeze and 50% water.
-BobtheOilGuy.com recommends a shelf life of 3 years max under protected conditions. Does not apply to previously OPENED bottles
- Dealership recommends 3-5 years because "it goes through a lot
worse inside the tranny.
* Gear Oil
-BobtheOilGuy.com recommends a shelf life of 2 years max under protected conditions. Does not apply to previously OPENED bottles.
Any other feedback?