Rough Idle with LOTS of Vibration---need help - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-08, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992 Acura Legend LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rough Idle with LOTS of Vibration---need help

My engine is idling right above 0, and I'm afraid that if I don't rev it it will die. It vibrates heavily and sounds like it is misfiring, but I'm not sure.
When I start accelerating, it has almost no power until up around 2000 rpm, then it starts accelerating closer to normal. Also, it seems to be shifting hard.
I had no problems at all until yesterday after I washed my engine, following the DIY instructions here.

Any ideas?

I am pretty new to all this car stuff, so I could you use some help.
I just washed my engine, covering everything you are supposed to and all of that. Let it dry pretty thoroughly, drove it for about an hour at 70mph, and it still has this problem.
coolALERTguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-08, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Low mileage nutso

Car 1: 95 Legend LS coupe 6MT
Car 2: 94 Legend LS coupe
Car 3: 2005 GMC Yukon

You obviously must have got water into some electronics. It should have cleared up by now, but try to let it sit with the hood open in the sun. Open up the fuse boxes and make sure it is dry in there. Check the air cleaner.
Old 10-14-08, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda Legend KA7

The engine should only be washed if there is excessive oil or spilled brake fluid.

Now that its too late:
-remove all ignition coils from the cylinder head cover
-remove the rubber seal from the coils
-clean and dry the coils and the rubber seals
-use compressed air (or a vacuum cleaner with a small hose) to clean the spark plug duct.
-install everything and hope that the engine will run fine again.

Do not drive the car while its misfiring as this may damage the catalytic converter and the cylinder bore (unburned fuel washes away the oil).
Daniel_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-08, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did those things, and so now the coils are all clean and dry and the sparkplug shafts are as well. Some of them were dry to start out with but some had an oily grime on them.

The engine still is idling really low, and it has very low power up until right before 3000 rpm, when the normal power level kicks in.

I also checked and each coil is getting power, so if it is an ignition problem, it must be either inside the coil (which I am sure is sealed) or on the spark plug.

Some other suggestions were that it could be the fuel system; I haven't checked that yet.

Like I said, I'm very green at all this (this is my first car and while I helped my dad out with some repairs growing up, I'm not that knowledgeable in the theory and background info on this). I really appreciate everyone's help, since I know most of you know far more than I do.
Old 10-14-08, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: Honda Legend KA7

Let the engine run in idle and disconnect one ignition coil after the other for some few seconds. Just pull the connector when the engine is running. You should notice the same drop in speed on all coils. In that case, the ignition system is all right.

Second task would be to check all hoses, especially the solenoids and the MAP sensor in the control box. Check the engine for noise generated by a vacuum leak caused by a broken or disconnected hose.

Was the engine running when you washed it? Might it have sucked in water through the air filter? Does the check engine lamp report an error?
Daniel_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: Kat - '95 KA8 T2 LS
Car 2: Jade - '95 KA7 T2 GS
Car 3: '87 KA3 LS - Donated

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Had a similar situation with a lexus sc300 after washing the engine. Here is what I did to remedy the problem. First of all the water was trap and got channel into the spark plug hole because the rubber grommet did not cover the spark plug hole completely. I had to use a rag and slowly push down between the spark plug hole to sponge the water from the hole. Somehow with water in the spark plug hole it somehow effect the sparking. anyways after drying the water from the spark plug hole it ran perfect. Hope this helps...
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 Acura Legend Coupe
Car 2: 91 Acura Legend 4dr

i had this same problem b4 i accidently sprayed water in my engine bay whil cleaning my rims and when i started it up it misfired and stalled, after 2000 rpms it ran fine. my friend told me not to worry about it i dried as much as i could with a towel and it eventually went away. this was on a nice hot summer day so maybe drying it wasnt much of a task for me!
2ToneType2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 Acura Legend

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I CAN TELL YOU RIGHGT NOW ITS THOSE DAMN COIL PACKS
Artillery129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-08, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think those coil packs may have been my problem as well; I did pull them and found moisture in 3 of the holes. Sponged it out with a rag. It was really raining hard yesterday, and I noticed a little roughness after about an hour of driving (to work). I wonder if some moisture got under a coil pack. Any ideas on how to seal those better?
Old 12-13-10, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: acura legend 94

Cool Low Idle and running rough after wash

Hi,
Two things. First water and the C.O.P - coils is sure for trouble. The packs have a conductor inside enveloped in a insulator material that dries and rots. The voltage wich is up to 35k will find any hairline crack, or pinhole to escape to ground. Check the coils for small holes the size of about a milimeter or less in the rubber boots at top-neck and bottom. Check that stem does not turn or is loose from the top part, check for any cracks on the stem. Also you can turn the vehicle on with the coil sitting on top of motor and see if sparks jump. Check each one.

And secondly check your fuel pressure. I think you said it stabalizes after 2000 rpm, but check. You can spray starting fluid in the throttle body by the filter and it engine smoothes out then you have an issue with your fuel or air fuel mix. The fuel pressure when running should be about 40 to 45 steady.
Ljoshlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)